Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: suay story, dun worry, it's not contagious

Default Re: Re: suay story, dun worry, it's not contagious

Originally posted by togu

You should have called me, I'll get you a tripod. Was sleeping in the office whole day, staring at the window, counting the clouds...

That means ....

BORED to death....

JaDe
    Guests

Wahz..buay tahan the jokes !

Default Re: Re: suay story, dun worry, it's not contagious

Originally posted by togu

You should have called me, I'll get you a tripod. Was sleeping in the office whole day, staring at the window, counting the clouds...
    ehh.. how to call you? loudspeaker ah? dun haf your number!!

greenfreak
    Guests

I don't want to sound like a total dope but what's the merlion? And what's suay? I see that a lot around here and have no idea what it is.

I don't want to sound like a total dope but what's the merlion? And what's suay? I see that a lot around here and have no idea what it is.
    No probs, think not many ppl would know both unless you're local or familiar with singapore. See that you're from NY?

The merlion is the weird thingy you see all over in souveneir shops that has a lion's head and a mermaid's tail. It's some locally made up mythical creature probably to attract tourist

Well, more factually, it's supposed to one of Singapore's icons Previously, it was placed at a scenic harbour location in the city facing outwards to the open sesa, but was blocked when they built a bridge in front of it. Recently, it has just been shifted to its new home facing the open sea on the other side of the bridge. Thus, there's a photo competition with the merlion as the theme, open to anyone from anywhere, with top prize money of $15k.

"suay" is a word from one of the local dialects that has been mixed with english usage locally. Means extremely unlucky.

Hope it makes u feel better now

Originally posted by greenfreak
    ah, welcome New Yorker!! a lot of us are from Singapore so we tend to lapse into local lingo. the Merlion is a mythical half-lion, half-fish creature, which is symbolic of Singapore. There's a story behind it but for the life of me i can't remember it.

here's a shot of it taken by our own moderator, megaweb...
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...hlight=merlion

"suay" is a local dialectic term for 'bad luck'. when a local says "i'm very suay today", it means he/she's having a bout of bad luck... hope that helps clarify some!!!

cheers!

greenfreak
    Guests

Thanks so much for the explination... Those pictures of the merlion and esplanade gave me chills. That's a beautiful city you have there!

This was a bad year to get any pictures of fountains because we had a severe drought this summer. There is a big fountain in the middle of Central Park in NYC that I visited a couple of times, hoping they had put water in it but not this year. :shrug:

Thanks again, I really enjoy pictures of other places around the world.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12