Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outrageous! Singlish not considered as a foreign language!

Default Re: Outrageous! Singlish not considered as a foreign language!

Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    which modern language we know today isn't a variant?
    I think the language our 8-month-old baby speaks is something new. Both my wife and I can't understand him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    I think the language our 8-month-old baby speaks is something new. Both my wife and I can't understand him.
    he's probably trying to mimic what you and your wife had been chatting about when he's not born yet maybe look out for variants of D2X, 1D MkII etc ...

was thinking... did they forget to include the english subtitles to the movie?

i think the judges must be quite pissed that they did not have the english subtitles to prove its actually a foreign film....
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    which modern language we know today isn't a variant?
    A variant as in like Singlish, is widely concurred as a variant of a parent group of language. A language that is a variant of another language, like Esperanto, is endorsed as a language, not because its variant.

Alright, let me spell it out: The Modern English and Commonwealth English is genetically part of an Anglic language, Anglic languages are derived from Anglo-Frisian languages, which are West Germanic languages.

All major languages like English are variants, localised and reorganised. Yes they are variants, but they don't sound like the parent language anymore, so they are constituted as an "independent" language.

Whereas Singlish branches from Commonwealth, but still sounds kind of similarly to English, so it does not make a language itself.

Oh by the way, English, French, German and Spanish are all considered Indo-European languages, so they are all variations, but languages indepedently. They all uses some sort of alphabets, latin, cyrillic or greek.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12