Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Equipment set up for clinical photography

  1. #1

    Default Equipment set up for clinical photography

    Hey guys,

    I'm currently looking to purchase some equipment for clinical photography.
    My school recommended us to get a Nikon Body(either Fx or Dx) + 105mm f2.8 VR lens + SB-29s or Sigma EM 140DG.

    They don't recommend Canon set up due to 2 issues
    1)Clinical photos taken with Canon set up has a more reddish cast
    2)Nikon 105mm micro has a smaller minimum aperture than Canon's 100mm macro.

    They also don't recommend Canon MR-14EXII type of ring flash. They recommended those ring flash with mini direct flash inside(eg. Nikon SB-29)

    I've used both canon(6D) and nikon(D700) systems before. I'm quite confused by what was told to me. Are they even true??

    Lastly, which brand and set up will you recommend?

    Thank you
    Last edited by Henessy; 13th July 2017 at 12:14 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Equipment set up for clinical photography

    With some technical knowledge I don't see how you can't tweak the colours in software or change picture styles of Canon cameras to match Nikon's colours. If accurate colours are required, you need to calibrate your equipment anyway.

    If you need more depth of field (when using minimum aperture), you can also do focus stacking for better quality.

    Since your school recommend Nikon equipment, why don't they provide for your use?

    (Not for or against any particular brand, I see great photos coming out from all the camera brands)
    Last edited by thoongeng; 13th July 2017 at 01:24 AM. Reason: for clarity

  3. #3

    Default Re: Equipment set up for clinical photography

    Quote Originally Posted by thoongeng View Post
    With some technical knowledge I don't see how you can't tweak the colours in software or change picture styles of Canon cameras to match Nikon's colours. If accurate colours are required, you need to calibrate your equipment anyway.

    If you need more depth of field (when using minimum aperture), you can also do focus stacking for better quality.

    Since your school recommend Nikon equipment, why don't they provide for your use?

    (Not for or against any particular brand, I see great photos coming out from all the camera brands)
    Thank you for the reply.
    Unfortunately we will only be shooting photos in jpeg and the school doesn't provide us any camera to use.
    Just hope to get some advice from both Canon and Nikon camps before deciding which system to get.

  4. #4
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Equipment set up for clinical photography

    Quote Originally Posted by thoongeng View Post
    With some technical knowledge I don't see how you can't tweak the colours in software or change picture styles of Canon cameras to match Nikon's colours. If accurate colours are required, you need to calibrate your equipment anyway.

    If you need more depth of field (when using minimum aperture), you can also do focus stacking for better quality.

    Since your school recommend Nikon equipment, why don't they provide for your use?

    (Not for or against any particular brand, I see great photos coming out from all the camera brands)
    photos have to be shot "At It Is", can not be altered.
    the photos are to be evaluated the conditions of body parts or whatever organs in the shortest time frame, most likely immediately, or even transmit to other offices/lab etc.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  5. #5
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Equipment set up for clinical photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Henessy View Post
    Hey guys,

    I'm currently looking to purchase some equipment for clinical photography.
    My school recommended us to get a Nikon Body(either Fx or Dx) + 105mm f2.8 VR lens + SB-29s or Sigma EM 140DG.

    They don't recommend Canon set up due to 2 issues
    1)Clinical photos taken with Canon set up has a more reddish cast
    2)Nikon 105mm micro has a smaller minimum aperture than Canon's 100mm macro.

    They also don't recommend Canon MR-14EXII type of ring flash. They recommended those ring flash with mini direct flash inside(eg. Nikon SB-29)

    I've used both canon(6D) and nikon(D700) systems before. I'm quite confused by what was told to me. Are they even true??

    Lastly, which brand and set up will you recommend?

    Thank you
    just use what your school recommended. in case of any emergency, somebody or yourself can use other people set up and without any issue.

    remember, the camera set up here is just a tool, you want pick it up and can use it straight away.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  6. #6

    Default Re: Equipment set up for clinical photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Henessy View Post
    Thank you for the reply.
    Unfortunately we will only be shooting photos in jpeg and the school doesn't provide us any camera to use.
    Just hope to get some advice from both Canon and Nikon camps before deciding which system to get.
    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    photos have to be shot "At It Is", can not be altered.
    the photos are to be evaluated the conditions of body parts or whatever organs in the shortest time frame, most likely immediately, or even transmit to other offices/lab etc.
    Thanks for your clarifications. Obviously I don't have enough background knowledge in Clinical Photography to be of much help

    Looks like Nikon is the way to go. Good for me to find out that in the field of Clinical Photography Nikon's more 'neutral' colours are preferred

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •