Thread: Custom White Balance

Default Custom White Balance

Thinking of learning how to use this feature.

I understand that you need to take a picture of a white card, and use that as a reference picture to determine the white balance for your subsequent shots.

My question is: What white balance do you use to take that reference picture? Bit of a chicken-and-egg situation here...

If I am not wrong, that is: custom WB. So the camera will understand your color temperature under THAT light condition.

Default Re: Custom White Balance

Originally posted by StreetShooter

I understand that you need to take a picture of a white card, and use that as a reference picture to determine the white balance for your subsequent shots.

My question is: What white balance do you use to take that reference picture? Bit of a chicken-and-egg situation here...
    i've never seriously use the custom white balance feature in camera, but my guess is, it doesn't matter. As long as the white card fills the frame, the camera will take it to be white, and will render all future scenes of similar nature white.

preferably the white card fills the frame, has no specular reflections on it, and is well lit by the lighting for which u want to white balance. I've read (but not verified) using a Kodak grey card for white balancing works even better than a white card! i believe that stems from the idea that a neutral point is needed for white balancing....doesn't have to be white...

What I do use, is to shoot in RAW mode, and adjust white balance later by picking a white point from the scene. The advantage of the Canon software (as well as the excellent Breezebrowser) is that you only need to do this for one shot out of a whole series of shots in the same lighting situation.

After you have properly white balanced the first shot, you can convert subsequent RAW images to TIFFs or JPGs using that same custom white balance setting. I think it might be easier than doing it on the spot. Provided of course u're partial to the idea of shooting in RAW mode....
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

Default Re: Custom White Balance

Originally posted by StreetShooter

as for me it depends. not only i use white card, i oso use other colour cards eg: light blue & light orange.
    the whole understanding is how warm or how cool your picture to be.
    what camera did u use?