View Poll Results: Can a consumer/prosumer digital camera produce result as a DSLR?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

68 48.92%
  • No

63 45.32%
  • Other

8 5.76%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can Consumer/Prosumer digital camera produce result as a DSLR?

Default Re: Can Consumer/Prosumer digital camera produce result as a DSLR?

I am using three cameras currently, all from Fuji. F700 the home shooter, S602zoom the tried-and-tested prosumer and the S2pro DSLR. The S602zoom and the S2pro are of the same generation. The photographer is the same, me .

The results of the DSLR will be better than the other two, and my audience (family and friends who are not necessarily photo enthusiasts) had commented that the photos from the DSLR stands out much better. Not about zoom range, megapixels or print size, but dynamic range, noise, colour accuracy and 'feel' (maybe depth-of-field, high flash point, less sharpening by camera, I don't know). But always the DSLR stands out better.

On good days or certain shots the prosumer cam will be better, and sometimes the consumer cam. One thing for sure, I have no flash-sync limit on the electronic shutters of the consumer/prosumer cams, which is good for bright environment with flash.

I must say, consumer/prosumer can capture the same thing as the DSLR, but not the same RESULT.

have not read all the reply posts but like to reply in my capacity as a working professional.

PnS compared to DSLR is akin to comparing a 1DSmk2 to a Phase One p45 (medium format digital back) In the opinion of all professional, picture quality alone, all will most likely pick the p45 unless for other reason, finances, speed or mobility.

The Larger lens resolving power coupled with correspondingly larger sensor (allowing for more sub micron sized sensor) will blow away the smaller format. I experienced 1st hand 4 yrs ago shooting with a hasselbald the details i can get from a product shoot is something a 35mm film, digital was unable to produce.

There lies the undisputable level of difference in quality from color tone, dynamic range, resolution etcs.

Hobbyist exist at all level. I known many to be using PnS, SLR, DSLR, MF, LF..... the differences is quality. It really depend on what the hobbyist wants. If my hobby was to recreate large billboard size poster of train.... there is nothing wrong if finances permit, i can shoot with a MF digital back. Likewise if i am happy with a A4 size print, a PnS might just do it for me.

Saying all that, there is definitely a significant difference in the diff format.

With smaller lenses on the consumer cameras, aberations in the lens glass (due to manufacturing or glass creep) will be much more obvious than that on larger lenses. Otherwise, astronomers will not need VERY VERY L A R G E telescopes, just small sensors and small lenses. Also, dirt, dust, oil stains, etc shows up more on the small lenses. Assuming a speck of dust of the same size (say diameter of 0.5mm) is on a 10mm diameter lens and on a 'pro' 77mm diameter lens. The area of each will be 0.196mm˛, 78.5mm˛ and 4656mm˛. That speck will be 0.25% of the small lens but only 0.0042% of the 77mm lens. Now, if the sensors behind each lens has 6MP, the dust on the small lens would have been 15000 pixels while that on the large lens only covering 253 pixels. Thankfully dust is often 0.01mm diamter, not as extreme as my illustration of 0.5mm.

Optics and other factors do affect the effects of dust on lens and sensor, but this very crude illustration does shows the importance of large, and DSLR lenses are large!

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Mini.

COE cheaper, less fuel, smaller (no need to give people lift), cheaper maintenance, easier to park.
    nods.

Quote Originally Posted by yowch
    I am using three cameras currently, all from Fuji. F700 the home shooter, S602zoom the tried-and-tested prosumer and the S2pro DSLR. The S602zoom and the S2pro are of the same generation. The photographer is the same, me .

The results of the DSLR will be better than the other two, and my audience (family and friends who are not necessarily photo enthusiasts) had commented that the photos from the DSLR stands out much better. Not about zoom range, megapixels or print size, but dynamic range, noise, colour accuracy and 'feel' (maybe depth-of-field, high flash point, less sharpening by camera, I don't know). But always the DSLR stands out better.

On good days or certain shots the prosumer cam will be better, and sometimes the consumer cam. One thing for sure, I have no flash-sync limit on the electronic shutters of the consumer/prosumer cams, which is good for bright environment with flash.

I must say, consumer/prosumer can capture the same thing as the DSLR, but not the same RESULT.
    so when u say that on good days or certain shots the prosumer cam will be better than the DSLR, are u referring to the RESULT? i.e. the prosumer cam produces a better image than the DSLR.

Personally I would say that DSLR has its advantage if it come to reproduction in a big scale. i mean, if shoot a pix for an ads that will made to be a huge poster of course wont be as good as those shoot wif DSLR wif very high resolution.

So in term of image quality, NO.
    In term of photograph value, YES.

only 1... control.....

The question of this poll is "Can Consumer/Prosumer digital camera produce result as a DSLR?" period. The question is too vague. It would be more accurate if the question is phrased:

"Can Consumer/Prosumer digital camera...produce the same QUALITY photo as a dSLR?"

In terms of QUALITY, the dSLR wins hands down. No use to debate this at all, unless you are talking about PRINTS and not 100% crops.

i tink this is overgeneralization.... it depends on which prosumer, which dslr and which photographer man.....

cheerios

Quote Originally Posted by michhy
    The question of this poll is "Can Consumer/Prosumer digital camera produce result as a DSLR?" period. The question is too vague. It would be more accurate if the question is phrased:

"Can Consumer/Prosumer digital camera...produce the same QUALITY photo as a dSLR?"

In terms of QUALITY, the dSLR wins hands down. No use to debate this at all, unless you are talking about PRINTS and not 100% crops.
    Hmmm... I have a newbie qn.
    How do you compare the quality of photo?

1. By noise? Many cameras have noise reduction built in. Certain DSLR brands/models are not that fantastic in this aspect.

2. By sharpness? There's pretty sharp consumer / prosumer out there. Take R1, Pro1, S2 IS, H1.. etc. for example? Of course you cannot use a L lens series to compare? It's a different comparison together? The same goes for megapixels count. You cannot compare a Canon 1DsMKII and Hasselblad 39mp vs a 10mp R1. Why not look the other way and compare a 10mp R1 vs the 6.3mp D70 instead?

Please do not be offended by my cite above. (i'm a very blunt person with limited non-tactful vocab) I use both the DSLR and P&S (depending on occasions). IMO, I only feel that the DSLR have more flexibility (changing lens to have DOF, range... etc) and speed (shutter, ISO, startup... etc) in overall compared to the prosumer / consumer. What are your opinions on this? And based on what grounds?
    Last edited by Hoky; 6th February 2006 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoky
    How do you compare the quality of photo?
    Was referring to 100% crops. noise levels, sharpness, CA and many other "technical" factors. These do not really matter to prints (as I mentioned) but it does to some who needs to use the 100% crops and get certain details out by means of post-processing.

you mentioned in-camera noise removal and sharpening.
    I'm one of those who prefer the computer to perform those than in-camera

I'm not a dSLR owner. I use a prosumer. But I already understand the "quality" differences of the cameras from the raw captures when compared with my dSLR owning buddies.

Quote Originally Posted by michhy
    Was referring to 100% crops. noise levels, sharpness, CA and many other "technical" factors. These do not really matter to prints (as I mentioned) but it does to some who needs to use the 100% crops and get certain details out by means of post-processing.

you mentioned in-camera noise removal and sharpening.
    I'm one of those who prefer the computer to perform those than in-camera

I'm not a dSLR owner. I use a prosumer. But I already understand the "quality" differences of the cameras from the raw captures when compared with my dSLR owning buddies.
    Michhy, thanks for your reply. I felt obliged to respond as I have some views that as DSLR (350D), ex-prosumer (G5) and P&S (Ixus 400) owner.
    In overall, I guess you're trying to interpret that the DSLR has better capbilities in terms sharpness, CA, noise control (since typically DSLR has bigger sensors).

To the author of this thread:
    Sharpness and CA are quite dependant on the lens quality. For DSLR, you can of course choose to purchase these at typically hefty prices. For consumer / prosumer, you're stuck with the range (although you can add telecon... etc sometimes), optical quality of the lens and limited by its capabilities (shutter, aperture)

Camera built in sharpening is dependant on it's image processor. I'm not sure about other brands, but Canon Digic II and Digic processors are doing their job really well IMO.

Some of the prosumers in the market (G5 in my instance) provide photo taking in RAW mode. I cannot assure you that the prosumer's RAW are of the same performance as the DSLR (you must read the spec) since now they had the G6, Pro1... etc. In this scenario, you can modify the RAW file according to the camera's spec (exposure, WB...etc) without image loss. This is an advantage vs the JPG capture type P&S. In addition, you can also bracket shoots in case you can't judge the conditions well enuf.

Do consider well on your needs, budget and usage before making a decision on what to get.
    Last edited by Hoky; 6th February 2006 at 02:09 PM.

Michhy, thanks for your reply. I felt obliged to respond as I have some views that as DSLR (350D), ex-prosumer (G5) and P&S (Ixus 400) owner.
    In overall, I guess you're trying to interpret that the DSLR has better capbilities in terms sharpness, CA, noise control (since typically DSLR has bigger sensors).
    It's good to see sensible replies like yours. I was afraid I might accidentally start a flame war of sorts, which I really dislike

Yes you are right. It really depended on many aspects of the camera (lets leave the photographer out of it for now). Lens, sensors, image processors (which removes CA among other things). I see you have experience handling a few types of cameras It would surely be easy talking to you, since you understands the limits and capabilities of each type, but sometimes it can get frustrating because we could not guess how much the person knows (the question asker) so we had to answer them in a general way

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    so when u say that on good days or certain shots the prosumer cam will be better than the DSLR, are u referring to the RESULT? i.e. the prosumer cam produces a better image than the DSLR.
    Every once in a blue moon, there comes a time when the underdog can shine. One that I can think of is the availability of f4.0 at ISO200 under bright sunshine AND using flash. Most DSLR with sync-speed restriction will not be able to handle that.

Also, if we compare the best prosumer/consumer camera of today with an old DSLR, there will come a point where the metering or image size will let teh pro/consumer win the DSLR.

But in general, a consumer cam will be inferior to that of a prosumer and than that of a DLSR, considering final printed image quality.

Sorry, OT a bit... I just went to a CS member's place to collect stuff as he was doing M.O. and I was amazed that he printed a A3 size picture out of a 2.7mp Nikon DSLR (guess the model?).

From a distance, something like 30 cm or more, it looks very fine. (of coz there's pixelation when you look at it nearer). Not implying anything about sharpness here but just to say that megapixel isn't everything.

Every once in a blue moon, there comes a time when the underdog can shine. One that I can think of is the availability of f4.0 at ISO200 under bright sunshine AND using flash. Most DSLR with sync-speed restriction will not be able to handle that.

Also, if we compare the best prosumer/consumer camera of today with an old DSLR, there will come a point where the metering or image size will let teh pro/consumer win the DSLR.

But in general, a consumer cam will be inferior to that of a prosumer and than that of a DLSR, considering final printed image quality.
    Yes Yowch, I know how you feel about sync-speed restriction (1/200s)... Sigh.
    This is very important especially doing macro photography... This is where the equipment flashes advert comes in.

Sorry, OT a bit... I just went to a CS member's place to collect stuff as he was doing M.O. and I was amazed that he printed a A3 size picture out of a 2.7mp Nikon DSLR (guess the model?).

From a distance, something like 30 cm or more, it looks very fine. (of coz there's pixelation when you look at it nearer). Not implying anything about sharpness here but just to say that megapixel isn't everything.
    I have side by side shot of Nikon 8700 and S2pro, one native 8MP, and the other native 6MP (but captured as RAW, and output as 12MP). Same scene, same lighting, a few seconds apart, the details and results of the S2pro is certainly sharper and clearer and better-feel (film-like, wider dynamic range, no blown highlights or dark shadows). This is not to say that the 8700 is not good, it is certainly good enough even for larger than A3 prints, but, the 'feel' of the print is certainly different.

If you are to consider quality affected by dust, prosumers normally fare better than DSLR which will suffer from dust specks every now and then.

Yes Yowch, I know how you feel about sync-speed restriction (1/200s)... Sigh.
    This is very important especially doing macro photography... This is where the equipment flashes advert comes in.
    HA! On my 'lousy' S2pro, I only get 1/125. The 1/500 of the D70 is really cool for bright scene flash use.

HA! On my 'lousy' S2pro, I only get 1/125. The 1/500 of the D70 is really cool for bright scene flash use.
    If you used a flash without the data contacts on a D70, you can even go up to 1/8000. Only problem is, if the duration of the flash is longer than the shutter speed, then you will get underexposed pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    If you used a flash without the data contacts on a D70, you can even go up to 1/8000. Only problem is, if the duration of the flash is longer than the shutter speed, then you will get underexposed pictures.
    This will also mean you need to set the ISO, aperture and zoom manually on the flash to have proper flash exposure. Not a lot of effort but still some hassle. That's why all the current higher end Nikon DSLRs support high speed flash sync. Some other manufacturers support high speed flash sync in all of their DSLRs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast