View Poll Results: Can a consumer/prosumer digital camera produce result as a DSLR?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

68 48.92%
  • No

63 45.32%
  • Other

8 5.76%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can Consumer/Prosumer digital camera produce result as a DSLR?

Default Re: Can Consumer/Prosumer digital camera produce result as a DSLR?

Quote Originally Posted by Azure
    To show-off?
    Haha....

I started this thread..... and now....., I personally have a DSLR.... well, not to show off... but at least I can take a decent shoot at low light condition now.... all thanks to my wife's Christmas gift to me......

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Wah... then I better start buying PnS It will win a D2X liao.
    definitely in terms of silent phototaking since there's no mechanical shutter or mirror

Quote Originally Posted by kevyan
    I know some will say it depends on the person who take the picture. But for people who take photography as a hobby, why do they need to buy a DSLR?
    i guess because they feel the urge to 'look professional' since their hobby is a photography, thus dslr. and most will claim they get the better picture cuz theirs is 'dslr ba'.

thats what i think. for me it doesn't matter though, cuz i've seen alot of great pictures taken using pNs and even SLR cameras. google up ansel adams.

Quote Originally Posted by metallilan
    Quote: Originally Posted by: kevyan I know some will say it depends on the person who take the picture. But for people who take photography as a hobby, why do they need to buy a DSLR?

i guess because they feel the urge to 'look professional' since their hobby is a photography, thus dslr. and most will claim they get the better picture cuz theirs is 'dslr ba'.

thats what i think. for me it doesn't matter though, cuz i've seen alot of great pictures taken using pNs and even SLR cameras. google up ansel adams.
    Well, Photography is my hobby too, as I liked to travel and capture some of those moments in my travel. I got a SLR before switching to digital, first with a CP 5700 then to the D50. I don't know about others, but I liked to have a SLR, digital or otherwise, which allows me to control how I take my photos.

While I subscribed to the view that photographer behind the camera and that the camera is a tool, you can get amzing results with a prosumer, but it doesn't mean that having a prosumer makes you any less "professional" if you are earning your keep as a professional photographer.

The bottomline is to chose a camera based on your needs and budget. Different cameras systems have their advantage and disadvantage.

Quote Originally Posted by kevyan
    Hi, was just wondering whether a consumer/ prosumer digital camera can produce quality picture as one taken from a DSLR?

I know some will say it depends on the person who take the picture. But for people who take photography as a hobby, why do they need to buy a DSLR?
    Depends on what you shoot. Shutter lag is terrible on a P/S, so it is near impossible to shoot something at the 'right moment'. Also, due to the smaller CCD size, the noise control is not as good. The higher end prosumer allows limited manual control so flash photography is not a big problem. For 4R pictures, other than the conditions which really require a DSLR, consumer/prosumer digicams are able to give satisfactory results.

Another aspect of the small CCD size is the hyperfocal distance of the lenses used. Digital compacts are very useful if you need to shoot a scene with a huge depth of field, sharp from a few cm away until infinity. This is not possible on a DSLR unless a very wide angle lens is used.

Here's my input:

My primary two concerns about the P&S / Prosumer.... although there are many more...

1. P&S / Prosumer doesn't have the fast shutter speed like the DSLR.
    2. P&S / Prosumer aperture not wide enuf (not fast).

Stuff like noise, poor bokeh... etc can be touched up digitally.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoky
    Here's my input:

My primary two concerns about the P&S / Prosumer.... although there are many more...

Erm...

1) prosumers shutter speed can go as high as 1/2000. That's very very fast.
    I think u mean that the shutter lag is slow rite? The higher ends one have quite good shutter lag time, no doubt incomparable to good DSLRs..but neverthelesss sufficient if u know how to use.

2) Aperture not wide enuff? For your info, the G series from cannon ( which is a good pro consumer) have an aperture of 2.0 at 35mm to 3.0 at 120++mm. There are no equivalent zoom lens with comparable apertures for DSLRs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoky
    Here's my input:

1. what do u mean by fast shutter speed? 1/8000s and faster?
    2. i've yet to see a 36-436mm/2.8 lens for DSLR. guess what, the prosumer panasonic FZ20 has that Leica lens built-in!

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    1. what do u mean by fast shutter speed? 1/8000s and faster?
    2. i've yet to see a 36-436mm/2.8 lens for DSLR. guess what, the prosumer panasonic FZ20 has that Leica lens built-in!
    The 36-436mm/constant F/2.8 lens for the FZ20 is only based on 35mm equivalent frame format and this apparent long focal length is due to its very small CCD sensor (largely responsible for its noise problems). Its actual focal length is only 6-72mm and therefore nothing great when it comes to capturing details of subjects far away. 35mm equivalent focal lengths for non-DSLR cameras can be very deceiving.
    Last edited by Clockunder; 19th January 2006 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clockunder
    The 36-436mm/constant F/2.8 lens for the FZ20 is only based on 35mm equivalent frame format and this apparent long focal length is due to its very small CCD sensor (largely responsible for its noise problems). Its actual focal length is only 6-72mm and therefore nothing great when it comes to capturing details of subjects far away. 35mm equivalent focal lengths for non-DSLR cameras can be very deceiving.
    so you are saying you can capture more detailed photos of distant subjects with a 72mm lens mounted on a full frame sensor DSLR compared with the FZ20?
    Last edited by zaren; 19th January 2006 at 08:51 PM.

tried the sony r1,
    very impressed!

yes, PSs do produce the same crappy pics,
    if i m the one behind.

but, imagine,
    i can produce the same results as our sprotsmen
    in the olympics,
    can i represent singapore?

jude

Yes Only IF YOU WANT TO PS UNTILL YOU SIAO!!!?

so you are saying you can capture more detailed photos of distant subjects with a 72mm lens mounted on a full frame sensor DSLR compared with the FZ20?
    Nope. As you seemed to be trumpeting the long zoom of the FZ20 by saying that you've yet to see a similar zoom on a DSLR and so I'm pointing out that you shouldn' t compare FZ20's 36-436mm (35mm equivalent format) zoom with a 36-436mm lens on a DSLR simply because the focal length of the FZ20 is actually much shorter.
    Last edited by Clockunder; 19th January 2006 at 10:36 PM.

Nope. As you seemed to be trumpeting the long zoom of the FZ20 by saying that you've yet to see a similar zoom on a DSLR and so I'm pointing out that you shouldn' t compare FZ20's 36-436mm (35mm equivalent format) zoom with a 36-436mm lens on a DSLR simply because the focal length of the FZ20 is actually much shorter.
    so what (in your opinion) lens focal length on a DSLR will give equivalent pics to the FZ20 at the maximum telephoto setting?
    Last edited by zaren; 19th January 2006 at 11:06 PM.

so what (in your opinion) lens focal length on a DSLR will give equivalent pics to the FZ20 at the maximum telephoto setting?
    Frankly, I don't have the answers because I've not used and made comparisons between the cameras and the answer also depends on the quality of the lens used on the DSLR, the size of the image sensor on the DSLR and the megapixels on the DSLR.

All I know it's definitely not appropriate to compare the F20's long 36-436mm zoom with a 36-436mm lens on a DSLR. And that is my point.
    Last edited by Clockunder; 19th January 2006 at 11:12 PM.

Frankly, I don't have the answers because I've not used and made comparisons between the cameras and the answer also depends on the quality of the lens used on the DSLR, the size of the image sensor on the DSLR and the megapixels on the DSLR.

All I know it's definitely not appropriate to compare the F20's long 36-436mm zoom with a 36-436mm lens on a DSLR. And that is my point.
    never mind then, we agree to disagree.

never mind then, we agree to disagree.

If you understand how the 19.1x extended optical zoom (theoretically 668mm equivalent on 35mm format) of the Panasonic FZ30 is achieved and whether there is any difference in picture quality between taken at this extended zoom and taken at its normal 12x optical zoom (420mm equivalent on 35mm format), you will understand what I'm talking about (the relationship between focal length, sensor size and format equivalent).

Answer : Both are taken at the same actual focal length and the the picture taken at extended zoom is basically the same picture taken at maximum normal optical zoom but just cropped down by assuming a smaller part of the image sensor as being the whole frame.

If the FZ30 is specified as a 3MP camera instead of 8MP, then it can be described as having 19.1x optical zoom (668mm equivalent on 35mm format). Does this different specifications (although the camera is the same) then make it appropriate to compare with a 35-668mm lens on a DSLR instead of with a 35-420mm lens on a DSLR? The answer is pretty obvious.
    Last edited by Clockunder; 20th January 2006 at 12:11 AM.

fuji F10 and F11 have an equally small sensor and noise from shooting at ISO1600 can put some DSLR sensors to shame.

Size does not matters (sometimes)
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    fuji F10 and F11 have an equally small sensor and noise from shooting at ISO1600 can put some DSLR sensors to shame.

Size does not matters (sometimes)
    Other than noise, there are other factors to consider when talking about sensor size.

Yes, with improvement in technology, the design of image sensor will continue to improve to enhance their ability to reduce noise and resolve details.

However, if everything else is constant, a bigger sensor helps in having a better picture quality although there is a diminishing marginal improvement as sensor sizes are increased. It is something related to the optics of lenses.

Anyway, here's an interesting read which indireclty shed more light on why a zoom on a prosumer or P&S camera cannot be compared to a DSLR zoom lens of the same 35mm equivalent focal length :
    Digital Sensor Size - Why Size Matters

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...e_matters.html

Check this out and see what a PnS can do (in the hands of a real good photographer).
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=167246

It is the lens behind the cam that counts!

cocoa
    Last edited by cocoa; 20th January 2006 at 11:15 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast