Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: UV filter causes lens flare?

  1. #1

    Default UV filter causes lens flare?

    Hi, just bought a new 70-300mm lens with UV filter. During night photography, for example, if I focus a strong spot of light in the center of my lens, I noticed a flare near to it. When I removed the UV filter, it is clear from my viewfinder. It couldn't be dust, dirt on the lens and filter as I checked and cleaned both the filter and front element thouroughly. Thus I can only conclude that UV filter causes the lens flare. Am I right?

  2. #2
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,846
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: UV filter causes lens flare?

    which brand of filter is it? some brands dun come with coating, hence lens flare.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  3. #3

    Default Re: UV filter causes lens flare?

    So much info on UV filters out there. To answer your question, yes, UV filters do cause lens flare. Here are a couple of links i found useful:


    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-feb-05.shtml


    http://www.photo.net/equipment/filters/

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: UV filter causes lens flare?

    you need a lens hood
    the filter is ok

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: UV filter causes lens flare?

    To add on, filters may not actually cause lens flare by themselves, but they do seem to produce reflections.

    For example, when photographing a birthday cake on a few occasions, I noticed a ghostly 'copy' of faded-looking flames from the candles in my images.

  6. #6

    Default Re: UV filter causes lens flare?

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex
    you need a lens hood
    the filter is ok
    Nope, with lens hood or not, still the same. The flare is directly from the light source from the center.

  7. #7

    Default Re: UV filter causes lens flare?

    Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    which brand of filter is it? some brands dun come with coating, hence lens flare.
    B+W UV filter

  8. #8

    Default Re: UV filter causes lens flare?

    Quote Originally Posted by wong1979
    Hi, just bought a new 70-300mm lens with UV filter. During night photography, for example, if I focus a strong spot of light in the center of my lens, I noticed a flare near to it. When I removed the UV filter, it is clear from my viewfinder. It couldn't be dust, dirt on the lens and filter as I checked and cleaned both the filter and front element thouroughly. Thus I can only conclude that UV filter causes the lens flare. Am I right?
    You don't need a UV filter for night photography. I suppose the UV filter is there for lens protection? Remove it when you're taking the photograph (be it daytime or night photography), don't be lazy.
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Land of the Teddy Bear
    Posts
    2,324

    Default Re: UV filter causes lens flare?

    Try clean your filter with the lens liquid... both side of the filter.... it should help. Last time i encounter similar problem and I tried clean the filter, the effect disappear.

  10. #10

    Default Re: UV filter causes lens flare?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman
    You don't need a UV filter for night photography. I suppose the UV filter is there for lens protection? Remove it when you're taking the photograph (be it daytime or night photography), don't be lazy.
    Yes, I'm going to remove it when I take night scenery. But I feel cheated by the sales person who said I should not remove it once I put it on to prevent dust from getting on the front element !!!

  11. #11

    Default Re: UV filter causes lens flare?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reno
    Try clean your filter with the lens liquid... both side of the filter.... it should help. Last time i encounter similar problem and I tried clean the filter, the effect disappear.
    He also told me that I shdn't use lens sol on the lens as it will spoil the coating? So if I use the solution on the filter, the filter won't spoil?

    But anyway, I doubt it's any grime on the filter. As I've taken it out and wiped it with a lint-free cloth thoroughly and the flare still appeared exactly as it was.

  12. #12

    Default Re: UV filter causes lens flare?

    Quote Originally Posted by wong1979
    Yes, I'm going to remove it when I take night scenery. But I feel cheated by the sales person who said I should not remove it once I put it on to prevent dust from getting on the front element !!!
    Oh dear, that's a sales person who doesn't know much about photography and lens giving some bad advice But it's okay, at least now you learn something.

    Merry Christmas!!
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: UV filter causes lens flare?

    Quote Originally Posted by wong1979
    Yes, I'm going to remove it when I take night scenery. But I feel cheated by the sales person who said I should not remove it once I put it on to prevent dust from getting on the front element !!!
    Actually, I have to agree with the sales person, based on my personal experience. As far as I know, UV filters have little effect at night. Even in bright daylight, the effect is slight, and leads to a removal of the slight blue cast that usually occurs in daytime photos.

    A quality filter like that from B+W shouldn't cause too much problems, considering a Hoya has done very well for me.

    My personal recommendation for night photography is to avoid including strong light sources in the frame or even just outside the edges of the frame. A strong light source tends to end up producing a huge 'halo' of light around itself especially if the lens is used wide open. If you stop down, it will probably form a more attractive 'star-like' appearence instead.

    If you really want to include strong lights in your photos, why not go for a starlight filter? I've used a cross-screen (produces 4 pointed stars) and had good fun with it. Check here for some samples:

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=165931

    As others have pointed out, do be careful too when using the starlight filters. Although you can now use strong light sources to your advantage, avoid including too many in your frame.

    I would advise that you keep a UV filter on your lens AT ALL TIMES. A filter is easier to clean than the lens itself, and you don't have to be overly careful with it. If you scratch it, just shell out another dozen bucks and get a new one. Of course, B+W ones are much more expensive. Be extra cautious with your lenses...you'll never know when the next bugger will come along and swing a bag right across your lens glass and gouge it to oblivion.

    Or when photographing animals, one dog will suddenly come up from nowhere and nose your lens.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 3rd Rock
    Posts
    1,269

    Default Re: UV filter causes lens flare?

    Quote Originally Posted by wong1979
    Yes, I'm going to remove it when I take night scenery. But I feel cheated by the sales person who said I should not remove it once I put it on to prevent dust from getting on the front element !!!

    The sales person statement is true about the dust on the front element.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    2,504

    Default Re: UV filter causes lens flare?

    from experience it does cause flare if you're shooting directly into sun. well..its not exactly flare, but rather its an internal reflection. this is especially so for non multi coated filter. i think your B+W is a normal B+W filter. the multicoated version is the MRC one which costs much more.

    i use Hoya HMC. and there is a noticable lack of reflection as compared to my normal Hoya UV Guard (single coated)

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: UV filter causes lens flare?

    Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    For example, when photographing a birthday cake on a few occasions, I noticed a ghostly 'copy' of faded-looking flames from the candles in my images.
    I'm curious why one would use an UV filter when taking candlelight photos. Candle flames are hot, but not that hot. Very few people ever got sunburn from birthday cake candles .

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: UV filter causes lens flare?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman
    I suppose the UV filter is there for lens protection? Remove it when you're taking the photograph (be it daytime or night photography), don't be lazy.
    I think this idea is very reasopnable. Now, here's a secret tip (it's so secret that camera sales people usually won't tell you): most lenses come with a little accessory called "lens cap" that doesn't add extra cost, protects the lens even better than a UV filter, and is easier to remove and reattach than a threaded filter.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: UV filter causes lens flare?

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf
    I'm curious why one would use an UV filter when taking candlelight photos. Candle flames are hot, but not that hot. Very few people ever got sunburn from birthday cake candles .
    I actually take all kinds of photos (including night photographs) with a UV filter on. The filter is just a lens protector and it always stays on. Since buying the starlight filter not too long ago, that is set to change. For general walkaround (handheld) night photography, the starlight filter goes on.

  19. #19

    Default Re: UV filter causes lens flare?

    To me, I guessed the only plus point is that you get to filter out harmful UV rays when photographing sunset. However, if it degrades photo images, esp during night scene, I think I'm going to forgo it. Dust on lens is not much of a problem, oily grime is more of a concern I think.

    So to put it on 24/7, nope, or maybe never if I can't find any advantages to outweigh the flare or ghosting factor.

    I was hoping that someone could say that it could be a faulty UV filter, and then I won't feel so wasted on having spent that $ on this. But it appears to be something that cannot be rectified.
    Last edited by wong1979; 22nd December 2005 at 01:47 PM.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Land of the Teddy Bear
    Posts
    2,324

    Default Re: UV filter causes lens flare?

    Quote Originally Posted by wong1979
    He also told me that I shdn't use lens sol on the lens as it will spoil the coating? So if I use the solution on the filter, the filter won't spoil?

    But anyway, I doubt it's any grime on the filter. As I've taken it out and wiped it with a lint-free cloth thoroughly and the flare still appeared exactly as it was.
    I don't think the lens solution is capable of spoiling the coating, if it can spoil the coating easily, it won't call the lens solution. Same for those who using lens pen and lint-free cloth, you used it to clean your filter or lens, the cleaning is done by wiping off using lens pen of lint-free cloth. During cleaning, friction occurs and won't this remove the coating too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •