Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: Toshiba e740 , can buy or not eh?

  1. #21
    zephyr
    Guests

    Default

    Originally posted by SNAG


    Yup, your're right on.
    But the problem is that when will PC2002 be optimsed for Arm5?
    If I didn't remember wrongly (reading from the net), this won't be anytime soon, as the PPC programmers would have to re-design the coding for ARM5, and it will not be backward compatible with ARM4. So I don't think they are going to re-code just for a small group of xscale users.... (true?)

    So it seems that those xscale people would have to run underpowered PPCs for now...

    And PS: Just a note for those that are getting under the OUB promotion, go get it quick.
    This was what my friend's experience was:
    He went to the shop (and he said that the shop was kinda run-down...)
    Paid, and he was put on a waiting list...
    Stocks will come, but the salesperson isn't sure on when will they arrive......
    PPC2002 will never be optimised for Arm5.. that's MS stand unless they changed their mind...

    Some programs are optimised for Arm5 oredi but very little.. so most of the program will not run as fast as it is running on a Arm4 core PPC. When i play bomberman on my HP J570, it's so much slower than when i play it on my HP J568......... forget about xscale.. dun buy it now... wait till MS comes out with an full working WinCE version that support Arm5...

  2. #22

    Default

    xscale = arm 5 ?

  3. #23
    Verre Vrai
    Guests

    Default

    Originally posted by ninelives
    xscale = arm 5 ?
    To learn more about PPC, you can goto www.ppcsg.com.

  4. #24

    Default

    The e740 with WiFi activated will eat battery like drinking water. IMHO iPaqs are all overhyped.

    Try the loox if you don't mind the form factor. It looks plasticky and is a tad too big, but it's functionality will blow u away!

  5. #25
    zephyr
    Guests

    Default

    Originally posted by darkness
    The e740 with WiFi activated will eat battery like drinking water. IMHO iPaqs are all overhyped.

    Try the loox if you don't mind the form factor. It looks plasticky and is a tad too big, but it's functionality will blow u away!
    IMO, go for the jornada j568, it's cheaper and comes with a CF slot...

  6. #26
    zephyr
    Guests

    Default

    Originally posted by ninelives
    xscale = arm 5 ?
    Ya... xscale is built base on Arm5 core

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default

    Here's my $0.02.... buy what you need.

    What I mean is if you use the feature 80% of the time, buy it, else don't.

    My rationalization:
    1) Bluetooth ~ prob use <70% of the time
    2) wifi <70%

    This leaves me with requiring only a simple PDA.
    I lean on PPC2002 coz I wanna play clips, run emulators, etc.
    Then I chose the slimmest I can get at that time Toshie E310.

    So, for the E740, if you need wifi, slim and PPC2002... this is it!
    Besides, its dual slots... and so on...

    As for speed... well, only if you are into gaming on PPC, else the speed is not really a big issue.

  8. #28

    Default

    geeks are always speed freaks. telling them speed is not important is not a good thing.

  9. #29

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by MaGixShOe
    how about the Sony T665C?
    Excellent, value-for-money PDA. At $699, it plays MP3s, has a high resolution 320x320 screen, 16-bit colour, 66MHz processor, runs PalmOS apps and is a much, much, much better buy than the m505 and 515, and maybe even the Tungsten T....

    Tungsten T is a great device, but I feel it's really a case of "too little, too late" on Palm's part.

    Regards
    CK

  11. #31

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang


    Excellent, value-for-money PDA. At $699, it plays MP3s, has a high resolution 320x320 screen, 16-bit colour, 66MHz processor, runs PalmOS apps and is a much, much, much better buy than the m505 and 515, and maybe even the Tungsten T....

    Tungsten T is a great device, but I feel it's really a case of "too little, too late" on Palm's part.

    Regards
    CK
    And not to mention recent price cuts for all Sony Clies!!!!
    I forgot the revised pricings > check out www.spug.net

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by SNAG


    And not to mention recent price cuts for all Sony Clies!!!!
    I forgot the revised pricings > check out www.spug.net
    Can't find the revised pricings in the forum leh, apart from the CitiBank/Tangs one.

    Regards
    CK

  13. #33

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang


    Can't find the revised pricings in the forum leh, apart from the CitiBank/Tangs one.

    Regards
    CK
    I think that's the one....
    But if my memory doesn't fail me, there's supposed to be another one by Sony SG.....

    Aiyah, if you got the moola, wait for the NX70 (or is it NR70?)
    The one with the camera and on OS5.... Wow!
    But it costs around the same as a PPC...

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by SNAG


    I think that's the one....
    But if my memory doesn't fail me, there's supposed to be another one by Sony SG.....

    Aiyah, if you got the moola, wait for the NX70 (or is it NR70?)
    The one with the camera and on OS5.... Wow!
    But it costs around the same as a PPC...
    Don't need a camera on the PDA. heh. Yeah, at that kind of price, I might as well get a PPC which can do more things.....

    Or heck with it and save up for a TabletPC.

    Regards
    CK

  15. #35

    Default

    Originally posted by SNAG


    I think that's the one....
    But if my memory doesn't fail me, there's supposed to be another one by Sony SG.....

    Aiyah, if you got the moola, wait for the NX70 (or is it NR70?)
    The one with the camera and on OS5.... Wow!
    But it costs around the same as a PPC...
    NX70 > Palm OS/5 with 200Mhz Processor
    NR70 > Palm OS/4.1 with 66Mhz Processor

    Both comes with built-in camera.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •