Thread: Manila Philippines

Default Manila Philippines

Will be going to the Philippines for work next week...

Anything that a female travelling alone should look out for?

All things philippines warmly welcomed!

Default Re: Manila Philippines

i just came back from there about 2 weeks ago. was there for SEA Games. People there are generally friendly but word of warning is that kidnapping cases are high there. If you're chinese or chinese looking, they might take you as a rich filipino chinese and trouble may arise. Depending on where you'll be working and staying there's a few nice historic places to visit like Rizal Memoral etc. Food wise, eat the mangoes!!! and yam deserts are pretty good. buy some 7D dried mangoes back for the family and friends. Shopping wise, the pirated staff are said to be cheaper than thailand. hope this help
    300D/5d2/40D/1d3/5D3
    17-40L F4, 28-70L F2.8, 24-105L F4, 50 F1.4, 70-200L F2.8

Quote Originally Posted by ptwong
    i just came back from there about 2 weeks ago. was there for SEA Games. People there are generally friendly but word of warning is that kidnapping cases are high there. If you're chinese or chinese looking, they might take you as a rich filipino chinese and trouble may arise. Depending on where you'll be working and staying there's a few nice historic places to visit like Rizal Memoral etc. Food wise, eat the mangoes!!! and yam deserts are pretty good. buy some 7D dried mangoes back for the family and friends. Shopping wise, the pirated staff are said to be cheaper than thailand. hope this help
    Hi... thanks for the reply! Were you a participant or spectator?

yikes.. I am chinese and quite chinese looking but not rich at all... will be sure to take note of the kidnapping thingy though...

I'm working in the calamba/laguna area and will be staying in the alabang area. Am thinking of taking a walk in the Makati area.

Looks like mangoes is a must try! ^_^

(1) Dress down - no flashy watches, clothes, jeans etc

(2) Always inquire from the Hotel Security, about the place you want to go.

(3) If possible, never take public taxis - use taxis from reputable companies (ask the Hotel)

(4) While travelling in a car, windows rolled up and doors locked - always.

(5) While dining in a restaurant, avoid sitting next to window fronting the main road.

(6) Do not volunteer information over the phone.

(7) Draw the curtains when sleeping, and where possible use the bed farthest from the window.

(8) Use both deadbolt locks and latch while inside the hotel room.

I was staying at the EDSA Shangri-La, and these were the pointers the Hotel Security passed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jaix
    Am thinking of taking a walk in the Makati area.
    That is the one thing you DON'T want to do alone.