Thread: How to gain back credit for the job done?

Default How to gain back credit for the job done?

Hi all, i did a corporate shot for a magazine for a friend of mine and request for only a compliment to my name in the picture and he agreed. But to my disapproval the photo was used in a magazine and my name was not mention. What can i do? What are my rights?

Default Re: How to gain back credit for the job done?

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred Ng
    Hi all, i did a corporate shot for a magazine for a friend of mine and request for only a compliment to my name in the picture and he agreed. But to my disapproval the photo was used in a magazine and my name was not mention. What can i do? What are my rights?
    hope you had it down in writing.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

you lost a friend, or perhaps, you did not, not a friend to start with anyway!
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Since no written agreement.... this means that they do not have proof that they bought the copyright too. If you can proof that the original photo is yours, then you can sue for infringement of copyright.

U can't get it back unless u had a prior agreement in Black & White.

I had a taste of it and got over it. Now I prefer everything to be in Black & White. Its my way to protect myself.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Write a letter to the magazine and demand payment for using your photo.....

what can you do?
    kick his a$$ of course!

vince123123
    Guests

You should mention the name of the magazine here.

Is your friend working for the magazine?

I don't think he is your friend. A friend wouldn't do that to another friend...at least that's how my friendship goes.

Deregistered

Before you fire your friend from your friend list, do note that not everybody is that conscientious about crediting the photos used, or even sharing the photos they have with others. Your friend probably didn't think too much before allowing the photos to be spread to someone else.

You should check if it's intentional or not.

Quote Originally Posted by jbma
    I don't think he is your friend. A friend wouldn't do that to another friend...at least that's how my friendship goes.
    Be awed at how many used the word 'friend' to twist it to their own benefits.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    Since no written agreement.... this means that they do not have proof that they bought the copyright too. If you can proof that the original photo is yours, then you can sue for infringement of copyright.
    what if i barter the photo for some goods but the goods never give to me in the end, can i still get back my copyright when they already used my pic?

i still have the original copy of the photo with my name embedded in EXIF

there was no black & white....foolish of me...got to learn from jsbn liao

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Be awed at how many used the word 'friend' to twist it to their own benefits.
    think i trust pple too much..haha
    Last edited by Wai; 21st December 2005 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    what if i barter the photo for some goods but the goods never give to me in the end, can i still get back my copyright when they already used my pic?

i still have the original copy of the photo with my name embedded in EXIF

there was no black & white....foolish of me...got to learn from jsbn liao
    think i trust pple too much..haha
    Yeah, you can... coz you still own the copyright wat..... yeah... embedded EXIF and IPTA are just some of the measures you can use to "prove" that its your pic.

Its to their disadvantage if they dont have any black and white. You can just claim you didn't sell them any pictures or never agreed for it to be used. That's why customers need your invoice. And you state your terms of usage there.

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Before you fire your friend from your friend list, do note that not everybody is that conscientious about crediting the photos used, or even sharing the photos they have with others. Your friend probably didn't think too much before allowing the photos to be spread to someone else.

You should check if it's intentional or not.
    ESPN, point noted.

thx all for the valuable comment. I think there is nothing i can do to this friend cos he is just a middle man.

The photo was used for a cooperate internal magazine so no point mentioning here.

The person whom i should go for should be the organiser of the event.

BTW, just want to find out something, i understand that EXIF information does not tell you which particular camera shoot it. it only gives the particular brand and make/model of the camera right so how can you claim that you are the original when this organiser also have the soft copy of the photograph? Anyone care to enlighten?

Black and white.... hmmm i remember having some emails on it. Have to go dig it out. Can only blame myself for not being organised.

Any lawyers here who can help, i want to find out after how long can i still launch a law suite against this company if i want to claim some copyright credit? I remember hearing there is a time period which we can do it.

Thx in advance.

Personally I don't see any point in suing since you end up paying $$$ for it and probably get nothing back (the mags have been printed already right?). So sue for what?

vince123123
    Guests

It will be six years, unless you go to Small Claims (which I doubt has jurisdiction for this), then its 1 year.

i want to find out after how long can i still launch a law suite against this company if i want to claim some copyright credit? I remember hearing there is a time period which we can do it.

Thx in advance.

BTW, just want to find out something, i understand that EXIF information does not tell you which particular camera shoot it. it only gives the particular brand and make/model of the camera right so how can you claim that you are the original when this organiser also have the soft copy of the photograph? Anyone care to enlighten?
    depends on the camera...at least for Canon DSLR, the EXIF include the serial number of the camera, and i can also store the owner name in the camera so that all the EXIF will contain the owner name too
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    depends on the camera...at least for Canon DSLR, the EXIF include the serial number of the camera, and i can also store the owner name in the camera so that all the EXIF will contain the owner name too
    Thx vince,

Hay anyone here can confirm if nikon D70 can do like what Wai mention here? i m not sure we can register the name and serial number in the exif.

If u know it then how?

vince123123
    Guests

You shot in JPG or in RAW?

If JPG, did you give the original untouched copy or the processed version?

Proof of Ownership is the reason why people shoot in RAW and/or never give out the "unprocessed" JPG.

Thx vince,

Hay anyone here can confirm if nikon D70 can do like what Wai mention here? i m not sure we can register the name and serial number in the exif.

If u know it then how?