Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flash Recommendations for EOS 350D

Default Re: Flash Recommendations for EOS 350D

When you make the room brighter, your camera should automatically scale back on the flash a little, though you can cut it further by using FEC. It all depends on the situation, so you'll have to adapt. Sorry, no hard and fast rule/settings. Just some ideas for you to try and see what works.

Also, use Av or Manual mode. The camera will automatically try to balance the flash with the ambient. If you use P or Auto, and light levels are low, it'll assume you want flash as the main light and this creates the kind of photos you probably won't want.

For me I usually shoot using AWB and tweak from there. For Canon dSLRs, AWB is accurate for most situations. If you shoot in RAW, it doesn't matter. Adjust afterwards. Just focus on your composition, lighting and exposure
    Last edited by solarii; 23rd December 2005 at 08:38 PM.

Default Re: Flash Recommendations for EOS 350D

Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    When you make the room brighter, your camera should automatically scale back on the flash a little, though you can cut it further by using FEC. It all depends on the situation, so you'll have to adapt. Sorry, no hard and fast rule/settings. Just some ideas for you to try and see what works.

Also, use Av or Manual mode. The camera will automatically try to balance the flash with the ambient. If you use P or Auto, and light levels are low, it'll assume you want flash as the main light and this creates the kind of photos you probably won't want.

For me I usually shoot using AWB and tweak from there. For Canon dSLRs, AWB is accurate for most situations. If you shoot in RAW, it doesn't matter. Adjust afterwards. Just focus on your composition, lighting and exposure
    Yes...it'll be impossible to get a specific setting on this, but I'll certainly be giving these things a go on the day itself.

Av is probably the mode I'll use, since in P mode, the camera tends to automatically switch the shutter speed to 1/60s and adjust the flash to match. Even at ISO 1600, the background does turn out a bit underexposed, especially at the corners.

So for now, I'll probably try:

-a brighter lighting in the room
    -ISO 400, at Av mode
    -photo taken from a tripod (absolutely necessary in this case)
    -makeshift jelly-cup diffuser for built-in flash.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12