Thread: X-Mas Tree on Speed

Default X-Mas Tree on Speed

Hi Folks,

Tried something out here, just want your opinions which is the better shot?

http://photobucket.com/albums/v632/w...CT1070-mod.jpg
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v632/w...CT1071-mod.jpg

Thanks.

Default Re: X-Mas Tree on Speed

I prefer 1. Nice effect, why don't you try the same thing again with other lights off except lights on tree? Will look cool.

Quote Originally Posted by KCLow
    I prefer 1. Nice effect, why don't you try the same thing again with other lights off except lights on tree? Will look cool.
    Thanks for the comments. Actually took this with all other lights off and fired off the flash so that the tree would be sharp. Tried the shot without the flash and the lights off, but you get a dark blurr where the tree is with a bluish glow reflecting off the wall with a very prominent light-trail. Will go and experiment a bit more with shutter speeds and exposure settings and if I get a nice one, will post again.

Quote Originally Posted by ldft
    Thanks for the comments. Actually took this with all other lights off and fired off the flash so that the tree would be sharp. Tried the shot without the flash and the lights off, but you get a dark blurr where the tree is with a bluish glow reflecting off the wall with a very prominent light-trail. Will go and experiment a bit more with shutter speeds and exposure settings and if I get a nice one, will post again.
    Read about painting with light but never tried. Set bulb exposure with small aperture. use touch light (perfer brighter one) to shine on different parts of the tree (paint the tree). Then carry one with whatever else you did (pendulum roll the camera?) Not sure if can work.

Of course easier option is to vary flash output plus try home made barn doors on your flash to limit coverage. If possible to control, zoom in flash and also vary power output.

Quote Originally Posted by KCLow
    Read about painting with light but never tried. Set bulb exposure with small aperture. use touch light (perfer brighter one) to shine on different parts of the tree (paint the tree). Then carry one with whatever else you did (pendulum roll the camera?) Not sure if can work.

Of course easier option is to vary flash output plus try home made barn doors on your flash to limit coverage. If possible to control, zoom in flash and also vary power output.
    Thanks for the comments, you've given me an idea of how I can to get the result I wanted. Will experiment, and if it works, I'll share the resutls.

the background windows is distracting ... good technique, good study but not a pic yet.

Quote Originally Posted by espion
    the background windows is distracting ... good technique, good study but not a pic yet.
    Agreed. Would have loved to have the tree against a black back-ground to do this, but my tree is where it is, and we took long enough to get it setup to my "CEO's" satisfaction, so there's NO WAY I'm not going to move it.

Getting some presents under the tree now, once that's done, will try a few more things, then I'll post again.

BTW, which is better?

Any other suggestions on how I can make this a better shot?