Thread: Dodge tool in PS is for what use?

Default Dodge tool in PS is for what use?

i tried and it made my pix look brighter, anyway to make it darker?

Default Re: Dodge tool in PS is for what use?

Use the burn tool, it's hidden behind the Dodge tool. Press and hold that button to select.

Quote Originally Posted by compro_1975
    i tried and it made my pix look brighter, anyway to make it darker?
    Click on the dodge tool box and hold. 2 little boxes will appear - one is dodge, one is burn. Select burn tool to darken areas

Another way is to use a neutral gray layer to dodge and burn. It gives better control and its easier to undo if you over cook it.

Select Add New Layer, Set the Mode to overlay, tick the box fill with neutral grey. Use a black brush to burn, white brush to dodge.

Hmm. Apart from Dodge and Burn, there's this other SPONGE option. What exactly does this do? I tried using it (probably wrongly) and it made my picture look somewhat "metallic" and greyish.

Also, there's this option of midtones, highlights, and shadows when using Dodge. I tried them all out but there doesn't seem to be a visible difference. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by feine
    Hmm. Apart from Dodge and Burn, there's this other SPONGE option. What exactly does this do? I tried using it (probably wrongly) and it made my picture look somewhat "metallic" and greyish.

Also, there's this option of midtones, highlights, and shadows when using Dodge. I tried them all out but there doesn't seem to be a visible difference. Sigh.
    The sponge tool increases or decreases color saturation at the point, depending on how you set you. If you overcook it, you get the metallic effect.

I know some will disagree with me but personally I don't like the implementation of these darkroom tools (dodge, burn etc.) in photoshop. They're ok for light touchup but I find the layers way more precise, accurate and subtle for real darkroom effects. This is especially true for portraits.