Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how many pixel is good for a 4R printout?

Default Re: how many pixel is good for a 4R printout?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake
    don't know wat u guys think, but i've done 4R prints at a resolution of only 640X480(thereabouts) at 72DPI.
    the fotos are sharp.

normally, i will simply bring my prints(1800X1200, 72DPI) down to Kim Tian and look for Michelle or PeiYun and requests for 4R Fill-In(something like tat la) printing.

never understand the technical jargons that well, but i've done 15R fotos at only 72DPI.

i mux haf missed out alot of technical jargons along the way...
    I think they have sophiscated software built-in to to resize images upwards and the actual dpi used for their printing is actually not 72 dpi.

As for 1800 x 1200, it can't be 72dpi if your size is 4R because it would be 25" x 16.7" if it's printed at 72dpi. The dpi specified in the image filze may not be the one used for actual printing.

There is a difference between printing at home, printing in office and letting the commercial people print for you.

Anyway, here's a minimum image resolution guide for letting commercial people print for you : http://www.so-net.com.hk/imagestation/faq/Faq05.php
    Last edited by Clockunder; 21st December 2005 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clockunder
    I think they have sophiscated software built-in to to resize images upwards and the actual dpi used for their printing is actually not 72 dpi.

As for 1800 x 1200, it can't be 72dpi if your size is 4R because it would be 25" x 16.7" if it's printed at 72dpi. The dpi specified in the image filze may not be the one used for actual printing.

There is a difference between printing at home, printing in office and letting the commercial people print for you.

Anyway, here's a minimum image resolution guide for letting commercial people print for you : http://www.so-net.com.hk/imagestation/faq/Faq05.php
    i'm sticking to my commercial printers for the time being.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Clockunder
    But when it comes to printing, dpi comes in and the quality of the printer also counts. The dpi achievable is directly related to the pixel counts of the picture. To the non-fussy, 150-200 dpi might still be acceptable in print.
    So, what is typical dpi setting at those photolab?

hey guys, if I have jpegs that are 3360x2240, can I send them to the photolab and print them as they are? i don't like the idea of compressing them before sending it for printing.

for 3360x2240, what is the largest printable size? (good resolution at handhold distance..)

Any where to reccomend for printing? Pls recommend....Thanks!!

Douglas

Quote Originally Posted by doug3fflux
    hey guys, if I have jpegs that are 3360x2240, can I send them to the photolab and print them as they are? i don't like the idea of compressing them before sending it for printing.

for 3360x2240, what is the largest printable size? (good resolution at handhold distance..)

Any where to reccomend for printing? Pls recommend....Thanks!!

Douglas
    for 3360x2240 i'm sure that u can print it above A4 at least without problems.
    there's this No.1 Colour centre which have 14 branches around singapore. the most convient is at clementi, parkway, chinatown pt, orchard plaza and raffles city. they are cheap 4R @ 20cents plus free album (at least 100pics) (25 cents for above 20 less than 100 but u can crop yourself) how ever, the down side is tat they crop for u. and i can tell u. sometimes they erm crop the wrong things though. so i usually crop my pics with PS b4 sending to print. (but still they crop my pics sometimes at funnie places.. dun know y leh. i crop at 6X4 inches lor... sian)

No.1? Okay thanks ah

how about print quality? not only cheap lah..good print quality too...No.1?

Quote Originally Posted by synthesis
    So, what is typical dpi setting at those photolab?
    The dpi setting depends on the type of printer being used and the pixel size of the original image sent to the lab. Under ideal conditions most labs like to work with the following ranges of output dpi:

Inkjet: 200-300 dpi -typical output is 300 dpi
    Dye-sublimation: 200-300 dpi, typically 250-300 dpi.
    Plotter: 220-300 dpi - typically 275-300 dpi.
    Laser*: 200-300 dpi. Typically 225-275 dpi depending on paper used.

* So called laser printers use a laser matrix head to print on to regular photographic print film, which is then processed normally. This process allows the use of all of the esoteric film printing paper types such as genuine matte papers as well as paper developing techniques such as sepia and other monotoning, platinum processes etc.

The output results also vary depending on the printer technology, for example, a Dye-sublimation print has a smoother tonal ouput than an Inkjet, whilst a plotter is a poor mans alternative a Laser based printer such as a Durst Lambda in the large print arena.

It's also nearly impossible to cross compare dpi from printer type to printer type, for example a 225 dpi print from a Durst Lambda laser printer is holds far more detail than a 300dpi Inkjet print.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

After all the discussion here, can we apply the points brought up this way:

1. since we don't know what printers the recipients will be using, the photo(s) should be resized to 1800 x 1200 pixels.

2. JPEG quality should be the highest possible, i.e. resulting in the largest acceptable file size.

jus make sure it's 1800px by 1200px

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12