Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33

Thread: Safe to bring DSLR to France during winter?

  1. #21
    Member modenaslim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Yishun Broadway KopiDiam
    Posts
    656

    Default Re: Safe to bring DSLR to France during winter?

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    My cam survived the snow, the sub zero weather and the rain

    Don't worry too much la. Won't spoil one... think on the bright side, if it spoils, at least you can have an excuse to buy a new one!!
    If spoilt then i will

  2. #22
    Member modenaslim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Yishun Broadway KopiDiam
    Posts
    656

    Default Re: Safe to bring DSLR to France during winter?

    Thanks everyone for all the info...
    Most probably bo chap liao! Bring!

    Now understand more what to take care when shooting during winter.. ?Bring more batteries! Bring plastic bag! Squeeze air out! Keep batteries warm...

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    One North
    Posts
    297

    Default Re: Safe to bring DSLR to France during winter?

    Hi

    The main problem you should watch out for is condensation which has been mentioned before but nobody mention how to prevent a condensation. What I normally do is have a mobile dry box to store your DSLR when in the warm area, e.g. hotel room, on the plane, etc. As these places are equipped with heater/warmer to keep the cold out. So condensation will form as it is a big change in temp. from sub-zero of outside temp. to say 10 degrees or more indoor.

    It is a good idea to use ziplog bag to cover over the lense together with the body. Screw in the lens hood over the ziplog bag. Use a scissor or pen-knife to cut away the opening of the lens, be careful of the UV protector as not to scratch it.
    Now you can enjoy even taking shots in snow.

    Not to worry, my 300D survive too in -5 degree in Germany, but watchout for all possible condensation.


  4. #24
    Member modenaslim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Yishun Broadway KopiDiam
    Posts
    656

    Default Re: Safe to bring DSLR to France during winter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steplim
    Hi

    The main problem you should watch out for is condensation which has been mentioned before but nobody mention how to prevent a condensation. What I normally do is have a mobile dry box to store your DSLR when in the warm area, e.g. hotel room, on the plane, etc. As these places are equipped with heater/warmer to keep the cold out. So condensation will form as it is a big change in temp. from sub-zero of outside temp. to say 10 degrees or more indoor.

    It is a good idea to use ziplog bag to cover over the lense together with the body. Screw in the lens hood over the ziplog bag. Use a scissor or pen-knife to cut away the opening of the lens, be careful of the UV protector as not to scratch it.
    Now you can enjoy even taking shots in snow.

    Not to worry, my 300D survive too in -5 degree in Germany, but watchout for all possible condensation.

    Thanks.. But where to get a ziplog bag ?? And how does it looks like?? siaoz liao dunno what is ziplog bag .....

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    One North
    Posts
    297

    Default Re: Safe to bring DSLR to France during winter?

    Hi,

    You can get from any provision shop or fairprice.
    Last edited by Steplim; 21st December 2005 at 11:11 PM.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Safe to bring DSLR to France during winter?

    hmm. actually i never even had to worry about condensation before. The air gets very dry during winter coz of the cold. Not much humidity to condense with.

  7. #27
    Moderator Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Safe to bring DSLR to France during winter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet
    No, no, no!!! Please don't heat up the camera/lens. Same thing will happen as a cold camera/lens in a warm enviroment. The camera will operate in the cold weather, just that battery life will be shorter. Transferring the camera in and out of a warm and cold enviroment is asking for trouble. The least being guarnateed condensation.
    man.. do i need to state specifically that the heat pack is just to wrap the battery compartment?
    sigh.

  8. #28
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Safe to bring DSLR to France during winter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Poon
    hmm. actually i never even had to worry about condensation before. The air gets very dry during winter coz of the cold. Not much humidity to condense with.
    Same, my main worry was getting the shot, moving in from cold to hot and vice versa, didn't really worry much. My batteries were near empty every 3 day when I was in Japan, brought only 2 to Japan.

    I hung the camera around my neck and walk. My hands? In the pockets keeping warm of course

    When not in use, it was kept in the camera bag.

  9. #29
    Member modenaslim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Yishun Broadway KopiDiam
    Posts
    656

    Default Re: Safe to bring DSLR to France during winter?

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Same, my main worry was getting the shot, moving in from cold to hot and vice versa, didn't really worry much. My batteries were near empty every 3 day when I was in Japan, brought only 2 to Japan.

    I hung the camera around my neck and walk. My hands? In the pockets keeping warm of course

    When not in use, it was kept in the camera bag.
    After seeing so many replies, never heard of any problems with camera after coming back from winter country. Seems like I worried too much liao...
    Anyway thanks for all the concerns..

  10. #30

    Default Re: Safe to bring DSLR to France during winter?

    I stay in cold early morning of abt 1 degree for 2 hrs and snap with D70 without any warm pack for camera. i only keep myself warm...camera battery still going strong... All my friends hide in warm car after 20min in cold.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Safe to bring DSLR to France during winter?

    haha my C5050 survived in Korea 0-10 degree....

    And i didn't had problem with condensation >< man i was lucky !!

    Battery wise, i had to change my AA batteries everyday.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Safe to bring DSLR to France during winter?

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh
    i intend to bring all my batteries for nikon D50 for korea, 2x original, 3x OEM as backup. is that an overkill or acceptable in case the battery die in the cold?

    besides the battery dun really drained off rite, but merely fail to function? i had experience with a lithion bat with a compact. 2 bat died in -5C, but resume function when i descend to +15C.
    I'm taking my D50 along to Korea in a few days time. Just bringing 2x batteries along. Should be enough for a days shoot. Just re-charge every night.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Safe to bring DSLR to France during winter?

    You can go safely.

    I'm French, I have a 20D that I've been using in France in ALL weathers, in China in ALL weathers... You are not going Antarctic, that's just France...

    The 20D also survived 5200m high and -5 deg in Tibet, so I believe it can survive in the streets of Paris or wherever you go !

    And yet you gonna regret it if you don't take it with you.

    Enjoy your trip if not yet done

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •