Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to achieve SHARP pictures in a wedding banquet

Default Re: How to achieve SHARP pictures in a wedding banquet

Lol that's pretty extreme
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

Quote Originally Posted by JediForce4ever
    I agree...I just went to another friend's wedding....and the photographer was badly behaved...there was this part...when a group of ppl from a table went to the toilet..the photographers just sat down at that table and ate their food....and when those people returned..they just quickly rn away and pretend to take photos....
    dont' tell me this yao gwee is a pro photg.

Anyway, getting sharp pictures has what got to do with what attire to wear during wedding shoot?

I also don't understand it became a topic for digression. Better dressed = more sharp pictures? The point that dressing better help in getting more respect had been made already right?

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex
    borrow a fixed wide angle lens say about 24mm or 28mm ( in 35mm film format terms)
    shoot at f8
    set your lens at hyperfocal distance
    everything from 4 feet to about infinity is sharp.
    better than autofocus
    no need to focus
    use flash with 1/60 sec or 1/30 so background will be recorded.
    hold your cam steady.
    do not depend on IS to compensate for poor holding & shooting technique.

be prepared mentally to be treated very poorly by other wedding guests.
    Sing society (deleted [looks down on]) (edit add [does not regard photogs on same level as engineers/doctors/lawyers]. (unfortunately).
    keep it as a hobby only if you can.
    Got a qn, when i used my speedlite 420ex and set Manual mode, shutter to 1/60 and aperture to f8, then half press the shutter, my 350D exposure meter will be at the lowest end... meaning the camera is trying to tell me the pic will be underexposed. But when i took the shot, it turned out quite well.

Any idea why....

The meter in the camera doesn't apply when you're shooting with an external flash.

Quote Originally Posted by n0d3
    The meter in the camera doesn't apply when you're shooting with an external flash.
    So des na.... kum xia

Newbie qn: Typically in wedding banquets, you use bounce card or diffuser? when to use what...

Personally I use a diffuser (lightsphere) when using a 580EX, but when using the metz 60ct4, I have to use a bouncecard. Best case scenario is when you get to bounce off white ceilings.
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

Quote Originally Posted by lwywjm
    Hey guys,
    can anyone advice on the above subject as well as good exposure when taking pics using 350D and EFS17-85 IS, handheld? I also an extra sigma flash.

Thanks alot!
    May
    at the least, the lens must be of the right type. sigma lens are often soft, nikon lens are in general sharp. not sure about canon.

Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat
    Got a qn, when i used my speedlite 420ex and set Manual mode, shutter to 1/60 and aperture to f8, then half press the shutter, my 350D exposure meter will be at the lowest end... meaning the camera is trying to tell me the pic will be underexposed. But when i took the shot, it turned out quite well.

Any idea why....
    You camera meter tells you that the exposure for ambient according to your 1/60s, f8 is underexpose, but you are using your 420ex as main light, so if you 420ex function correctly and with in the range, the photo should be correctly exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat
    So des na.... kum xia

Newbie qn: Typically in wedding banquets, you use bounce card or diffuser? when to use what...
    I used to use a Soften and recently switched to a Lightsphere. Franky I can't tell the difference between both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanxp
    at the least, the lens must be of the right type. sigma lens are often soft, nikon lens are in general sharp. not sure about canon.
    This is often a brand biased statement. I am a Nikon user myself, and I can say that not all nikkors are sharp and there are sigmas that are sharp. Never use brand names as a judgement to portray sharpness.

On the metering part, say for portriats-type shots, do u guys usually use spot meter + zoom and exposure lock on face, then recompose? or just leave it on evaluative + shoot and pray? ^_^~

Quote Originally Posted by n0d3
    I used to use a Soften and recently switched to a Lightsphere. Franky I can't tell the difference between both of them.
    Lightsphere bigger n more sui
    i just upgraded from a piece of white PVC to light sphere...
    got slight difference lar.
    Cosmetically, LS is nicer.

If you can't tell the different from the pictures when using Lightsphere, money wasted oreadi.

and for shooting portraits, anything can lar, P mode A mode or M mode also can, spot, matrix or centre weighted all are fine, see which one work better for you.

If some one tell you must use prime lens wide open, only using M mode, spot metering, also have to shoot RAW, but the portraits not pleasing to the viewer, what's the point? all this are methods, what people want is the end result. if this method won't help you get the end result you want, try others...

Quote Originally Posted by hptay
    Lightsphere bigger n more sui
    i just upgraded from a piece of white PVC to light sphere...
    got slight difference lar.
    Cosmetically, LS is nicer.
    I not pro enough to differentiate mah. The Lightsphere helps when I switch from landscape to portrait mode because unlike the Soften I get the same coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning
    Using the riffle shooting technique....Breathe in...hold your breath...click the button....then breathe out. Else increase ISO and use higher shutter speed.

Cheers

Yeap... This works all the time... I believe the technique is breathe in, give a quick sigh to release your breath and hold it there.. snap snap snap... 3 rounds away

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12