Thread: Clubbing Photos : How do you shoot ?

Default Clubbing Photos : How do you shoot ?

Hi ,

would like to ask those who had covered events in clubs and nightspots, what are their lighting set-ups i.e flash card or bounce etc. Because I am aware of that the flash is Loud, and everyone will look at you etc...

Help anybody?

Thanks

Default Re: Clubbing Photos : How do you shoot ?

For events in a club, it's best to shoot lots with ambient lighting. This will give different colour effects and retain the atmosphere in your shots. Forget the tripod. The camera shake goes well with the roudiness and colour.
    Use tactics like flash with after exposure which gives you images with a rather sharp and frozen foreground while the background is blur with movement and colour. This adds drama.
    Of course there are times when you want the shot to come out just right, for eg the arrival of the chairman, someone being accorded an award, etc, etc. At times like these, you want to use flash with a difuser (the little white box attached to the flash) so the lighting is not too harsh. As soon as you fire away a shot with the flash, immediately fire another before the flash recharges so you have a variant of the similar shot - one properly done with flash and another with the wierd colours and a slight blur. This give you or the client an extra choice when choosing the shots later.
    Don't just stick to conventional shooting angles. Going down low often give a good perspective on your shots and also adds drama. But be careful not to do it next to a babe with mini skirt or you'll get a kick in the face
    Have a good one Bro!
    Last edited by Heartshape; 19th December 2005 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfatfish
    Hi ,

would like to ask those who had covered events in clubs and nightspots, what are their lighting set-ups i.e flash card or bounce etc. Because I am aware of that the flash is Loud, and everyone will look at you etc...

Help anybody?

Thanks
    hi... dont know what kind of events you will be covering.. but i covered my school bash recently... they had band performances, dance competition and of course the usual games and lucky draws and sponsors' event. Just to share an experience... when i used flash (whether with the on-camera flash, external flash, direct or with omnibounce) to take shots of the stage area, the picture all "Washed-out" and looked overexpose..and..erm.. "very white". My guess is that the smoke from the smoke machine nearby caused this, although i cant be sure. (My flash worked fine on other occasions though). In the end only can bump up iso and shoot with whatever light was available, which wasnt so bad cos club lightings does give interesting effects. So.. do watch out for smoke machines..

here are the typical exposure values

ISO 800 to 3200

manual exposure mode : 1/15 - 1/30 seconds, f2.8-5.6

direct flash. dont bother about bouncing because there is no time and space for such fancy stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Heartshape
    For events in a club, it's best to shoot lots with ambient lighting. This will give different colour effects and retain the atmosphere in your shots. Forget the tripod. The camera shake goes well with the roudiness and colour.
    Use tactics like flash with after exposure which gives you images with a rather sharp and frozen foreground while the background is blur with movement and colour. This adds drama.
    Of course there are times when you want the shot to come out just right, for eg the arrival of the chairman, someone being accorded an award, etc, etc. At times like these, you want to use flash with a difuser (the little white box attached to the flash) so the lighting is not too harsh. As soon as you fire away a shot with the flash, immediately fire another before the flash recharges so you have a variant of the similar shot - one properly done with flash and another with the wierd colours and a slight blur. This give you or the client an extra choice when choosing the shots later.
    Don't just stick to conventional shooting angles. Going down low often give a good perspective on your shots and also adds drama. But be careful not to do it next to a babe with mini skirt or you'll get a kick in the face
    Have a good one Bro!
    thanks that was helpful. whats flash after exposure?

think 2nd curtain shld help as well. try it!

Quote Originally Posted by user111
    here are the typical exposure values

ISO 800 to 3200

manual exposure mode : 1/15 - 1/30 seconds, f2.8-5.6

direct flash. dont bother about bouncing because there is no time and space for such fancy stuff

Not even bounce cards? Would it be weird if i used a bounce card in the middle of a party?