Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • J2EE

7 50.00%
  • Microsoft .NET

7 50.00%

Thread: J2EE or Microsoft .NET

Default J2EE or Microsoft .NET

Which one do you think will dorminate the market?
    Canon Lover :)

mm.... so far what i touch, i feel .net better

good. microsoft is winning.. hehe

Microsoft Visual Studio is a very good IDE to develope software on .NET technologies. If you use it, it will be much easier than writing software on J2EE although they do have a nice IDE with it.
    Canon Lover :)

Originally posted by Klause
    good. microsoft is winning.. hehe

Microsoft Visual Studio is a very good IDE to develope software on .NET technologies. If you use it, it will be much easier than writing software on J2EE although they do have a nice IDE with it.

Microsoft might win this race not because they have a good IDE (Visual Studio is good indeed) but for the following:

* Current Server Side Technology using J2EE proved to be very expensive compare to Microsoft Solution.
    * market always need something new every several years to spur the sales and .NET fit the bill here.
    * The falling of dot.com needs something fresh like .NET to start another round of Technology Innovation (or Repackaging)
    * The performance of J2EE in the GUI and desktop area is lacking

However, J2EE will not be an easy meat here. So much investments have been poured into this Technology. Thus J2EE will probably still hold on for a while.

I predict .NET will gain a substantial market shares (50-50) in the coming few years while J2EE retreat abit. The market should be able to substain both Technologies.
    flickr|Canon 7D|10-22|17-40L|50F1.8|24-70L|100F2.8L|70-200F4L|70-300L|2x550EX|580EX II

J2EE has been in operation in major installations like banks, financial institutions and other huge service centres for many years. Just look at Singapore - UOB, DBS etc all use J2EE. It is quite a mature technology and is already in the mainstream. m$ .NET is not.

Frankly .NET doesn't look great to me since you can only run it on windows servers and you are constrained to mirco$oft software only. J2EE is a truly open platform and you have several vendors to choose from. It also runs on many different OSes - Unixes, Windows, etc.

Maybe more appropriate to compare SunONE and .NET?

Originally posted by fraven
    * Current Server Side Technology using J2EE proved to be very expensive compare to Microsoft Solution.
    Expensive? J2EE is essentially free. If you know at least JBoss, then you should know what I mean.

* The performance of J2EE in the GUI and desktop area is lacking
    J2EE is back-end. GUI is desktop. IOW, you're talking about different things. I won't argue about the GUI part, since we all know that it's pretty much slow, but I'd like to point out that you can actually avail of J2EE technologies using some other means. For example, you can use Borland's Delphi to create the client, and call EJBs.

I predict .NET will gain a substantial market shares (50-50) in the coming few years while J2EE retreat abit. The market should be able to substain both Technologies
    Nobody knows for sure. Currently, MS has acknowledged that the market reception for .NET has been quite disappointing.

:Later,
    Last edited by Pinoy; 6th November 2002 at 08:49 PM.

Originally posted by Pinoy
    Expensive? J2EE is essentially free. If you know at least JBoss, then you should know what I mean.

J2EE is back-end. GUI is desktop. IOW, you're talking about different things. I won't argue about the GUI part, since we all know that it's pretty much slow, but I'd like to point out that you can actually avail of J2EE technologies using some other means. For example, you can use Borland's Delphi to create the client, and call EJBs.

Nobody knows for sure. Currently, MS has acknowledged that the market reception for .NET has been quite disappointing.

Just like to clarify that I am not a Micro$oft die hard. In fact, I'm a J2EE Solution Architect in the Banking Sector.

It's true, commercial J2EE projects are at least a few times more expensive than Microsoft or other solutions. I was in various vendor environments for the past few years and you seldom see J2EE projects cost under a mil. The Technology may be free, but the resources, Enterprise App Servers, etc are not cheap. No financial company will use JBoss for their critical sites.

J2EE does not just retrict applications to back-end only. It's just that most of the Java Enterprise applications have been built in back-end and there are desktop Applications that runs on Swings with EJB remote communications, JDBC, JavaMail, JMS or Web Services. Java Servlets and JSP are only another presentation layer in the J2EE family.

As the economy is not looking too bright for a while, do not discount any other solutions that save business cost.

Although I earn my living using J2EE, I don't take it like religious. I look at other Technologies. It's always the most cost-effective solution that meets the business need wins.

In the end, it's not the Technology that the business care, it's the solution that meets their needs.

flickr|Canon 7D|10-22|17-40L|50F1.8|24-70L|100F2.8L|70-200F4L|70-300L|2x550EX|580EX II

Originally posted by fraven
    Just like to clarify that I am not a Micro$oft die hard.
    I don't think anybody's labelled you that, or said something to that effect. Anyway, just to follow your lead, I'm neither a MS or Sun die-hard. I admit to be a Borlander at heart though.

It's true, commercial J2EE projects are at least a few times more expensive than Microsoft or other solutions. I was in various vendor environments for the past few years and you seldom see J2EE projects cost under a mil. The Technology may be free, but the resources, Enterprise App Servers, etc are not cheap.
    That's exactly the point I'm trying to say. J2EE itself is free. JBoss is free, as in free beer. IOW, you can have a J2EE solution without paying up loads of $ (for example by going with a Linux+JBoss combi). So to say that J2EE is expensive just isn't correct.

No financial company will use JBoss for their critical sites.
    I agree. But that's beyond the point already. Big companies don't buy based only on "superiority" (of technology) alone, but the vendor (ie financial standing etc) as well (I remember somebody who said that it's not the technology that sells, it's the marketing).

Last edited by Pinoy; 6th November 2002 at 11:57 PM.

Originally posted by sriram
    Frankly .NET doesn't look great to me since you can only run it on windows servers and you are constrained to mirco$oft software only.
    Just to clarify....

It isn't true that you can run .NET on Windows only. There are currently a few ports going on (like Mono, Corel's FreeBSD Port etc)

Software-wise, you're not constrained with MS either, since there are quite a number of languages out there that supports .NET. Borland, for example, has at least a couple of products to be out next year meant for .NET development (ie, Delphi.NET and a product that's going to compete with Visual Studio.NET, a product codenamed Galileo).

Yeah! Go Borland Go!!!!!
    Get the latest news with Today Online Downloader

Tech wise.... J2EE is Advance..... Marketing wise.... Microsoft lah.... For programmers...... i just do what client need.... not every client need heavy and robust stuff.....sometimes they need easy and fast implementation.......

-Andre