Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: encounter with security guard at Sun Plaza

Default Re: encounter with security guard at Sun Plaza

absolutely agree!

did that a few times when i'm inside a shopping mall with my camera hanging on my shoulder...

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Actually they don't, the most they can do is to ask you to leave. They have no right to demand to see your photographs, much less that you delete anything.

When in doubt, ask if they want to call the police to settle and see their reaction. The only downside is that if they take up your challenge, you might actually need to wait for the police :P However with rude guards, no quarter should be given.

vince123123
    Guests

Well done, we need more of such folks around

Actually, come to think of it, I've done the same myself too Haven't yet got stopped to practice the above techniques though.

Quote Originally Posted by rncw
    absolutely agree!

did that a few times when i'm inside a shopping mall with my camera hanging on my shoulder...

vince123123
    Guests

Actually, come to think of it, I've done the same myself too Haven't yet got stopped to practice the above techniques though.

absolutely agree!

vince123123
    Guests

absolutely agree!

So I guess using camera phones, P&S, and tourists do not get stopped?

DSLR means terrorist threat?

Terrorist would surely go for something less conspicuous like maybe hidden pinhole cam or phone cam.

I had took numerous photos at Sun Plaza as I always go there wif my family. So far no incident with the security there. Maybe its because you are using big eye catching lens.. haha. I had too lots of casual photos at shopping centers and no one stop me. Maybe I got the "dont mess with me look" . On the contrary, latest camera phones do produce sharp and clear photos. I had been using my Motorola A1000 and O2 mini (both 1.3 megapixel) for my project reports to my boss and he likes it becos of 2 reasons, no need to buy me a camera and good details taken. I write reports with pictures cos a picture says a thousand words.

if I'm a terrorist, I would choose a camera thats not eyecatching.

I'm just wondering, after reading most of the posts...

Does the management have the right to demand a person to delete the photos if there are "no photography" signs posted? From what I read from the posts in kopitiam, the answer seems to be a "no" to me..

Anyone can clarify? thanks
    eat. drink. shoot

Try taking a photo at the Royal Palace at Bangkok and see if u can get away with that.
    When I do right, no one remembers. When I do wrong, no one ever forgets.

vince123123
    Guests

I would agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar

Does the management have the right to demand a person to delete the photos if there are "no photography" signs posted? From what I read from the posts in kopitiam, the answer seems to be a "no" to me..

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    I would agree with you.
    Ok..thanks...means we can shoot all we want until the management comes and chase us away...
    eat. drink. shoot

no one can ask you to delete your photos. what's inside your camera taken by yourself belongs solely to you. period.

the real police may have the authority to request to view what you've taken....if the photos are those of obscene nature, then that's another story...but in my opinion, no one can force you to delete your own work.

also, in my opinion, the 'no photography' signs must be displayed clearly visible to all shoppers (if in a shopping mall), to remind them that photography is not allowed. also, if they have the no photography rule, then they must enforce it thoroughly...ie not even handphone cameras. if there're any double standards, then i think you can continue shooting. no one is allowed to use forceful actions against you (touch you, shove you out..or something like that), they can only ask you to leave. unless they called the police.

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar

Well, just to relate my latest encounter with the guard at Wheelock Place.

This guard I must say deserves commendation. He was so polite and didn't make a scene about me taking pictures of the decor in their glass cone. Too bad I didn't get his name as he left me after giving me a polite and gentle reminder that photography is not allowed in the building. And the best part is he actually allowed me just one shot.

I wish all security personel could be like him and not be rude when telling people not to take photos.

vince123123
    Guests

Well done, nice succint statement of the correct position.

The only thing I would add is that the signs in question are really for the benefit of the mall, not so much the shoppers. If there are no signs, the shoppers can easily act blur and say "You never say can't take what'. Even if there are signs, it merely serves to give notice that photography is not allowed, not that they can ask you to delete your photos.

And I would highlight the point made by rncw in the use of forceful actions - very often people are not sure what can or cannot be done to them.

Finally, on the double standards rule, I would differ slightly to say that theoretically speaking, just because a lot of people are doing it and the enforcement authorities are not stopping everyone, it doesn't make an prohibited act allowed. However, in the real world, just like the security guards who stretch the law, I believe we should make use of this "defence" if it happens - it isn't too much of a stretch if you ask me. What you should probably do is to stop shooting and then ask why the rest are not stopped, rather than to continue on. If they can't come up with a good explanation, then say "So since you're not stopping them I can continue right". And see the reaction and how they explain the double standards.

no one can ask you to delete your photos. what's inside your camera taken by yourself belongs solely to you. period.

the real police may have the authority to request to view what you've taken....if the photos are those of obscene nature, then that's another story...but in my opinion, no one can force you to delete your own work.

also, in my opinion, the 'no photography' signs must be displayed clearly visible to all shoppers (if in a shopping mall), to remind them that photography is not allowed. also, if they have the no photography rule, then they must enforce it thoroughly...ie not even handphone cameras. if there're any double standards, then i think you can continue shooting. no one is allowed to use forceful actions against you (touch you, shove you out..or something like that), they can only ask you to leave. unless they called the police.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123