Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 53

Thread: encounter with security guard at Sun Plaza

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: encounter with security guard at Sun Plaza

    Maybe it is BONUS time
    and the security guards are just trying to
    curry favour with the management and trying to earn brownie points for a
    good bonus.

    They are afaraid the boss may have excuse to say
    "no Bonus for you since you
    did not stop people shooting pics"

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near the Equator
    Posts
    1,255

    Default Re: encounter with security guard at Sun Plaza

    Call the cops if the security guards want to play punk.Nuff said.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sternenfels
    Posts
    59

    Default Re: encounter with security guard at Sun Plaza

    How about Ang Mo tourist holding DSLR? Or maybe a battalion of japanese tourist holding P&S cameras, storming into shopping centres and start shooting? I agree about the rule of prohibiting cameras/phototaking in offices or commercial shop itself. But banning of it within the premises of common area in shopping centres is abit ridiculous in aspect of promoting tourism.

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near the Equator
    Posts
    1,255

    Default Re: encounter with security guard at Sun Plaza

    Quote Originally Posted by walla
    How about Ang Mo tourist holding DSLR? Or maybe a battalion of japanese tourist holding P&S cameras, storming into shopping centres and start shooting? I agree about the rule of prohibiting cameras/phototaking in offices or commercial shop itself. But banning of it within the premises of common area in shopping centres is abit ridiculous in aspect of promoting tourism.
    this form of discrimination has to stop.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

  5. #25

    Default Re: encounter with security guard at Sun Plaza

    Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz
    this form of discrimination has to stop.
    has anyone lodged a complaint to STB to see what they will say ?/

  6. #26

    Default Re: encounter with security guard at Sun Plaza

    Blive,

    I think you have been too compliant with the security. He has overstepped your rights. If it were me, I wouldn't want to feel foolish trying to convince him by going thru all the images in the cam.

    The shopping centre has the right to enforce the No Photography rule, though it is hard to draw the line at where they should stop. Compacts allowed? Or only mobile cameras? DSLR ok but without tripod? The general conception is that the bigger your cam/equipment, the more sophiisticated it is in delivering high quality images and you are suspected to be up to no good -- terrorism is partly to be blamed for all this hoo har. No thanks to it.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Beyond Space-Time Continuum
    Posts
    6,324

    Default Re: encounter with security guard at Sun Plaza

    well blive`s prob is with the guy who complained to the security, talk nicely to the guard and get the other guy to shut up. Since he was complained by the customer, just be accomodating the guard to prove your innocence and end the matter quickly. End of story.

  8. #28

    Default Re: encounter with security guard at Sun Plaza

    Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz
    Call the cops if the security guards want to play punk.Nuff said.
    Haiyah... take it easy... Life is already so complicated with many probs to solve. And I dun think the cops will want to bother themselves with such a case.

    I dun think it has anything much to do with promoting tourism or the commonly thot case of angmohs and Japs dun get stopped. This is some convenient stereotype. Ang mohs do get stopped too if you have read other posts in CS. If there's a large group or especially if u are mean looking and big sized (think Arnold Swazzy!!) then the guard will prob be scared to approach u! Not so much bcos he is not a Sporean.

    To think in another perspective, the poor guy may be only following blindly to do his unappreciated, often seen as a lowly job in society. He may be working to support his family by carrying out instructions from Management. As photographers, we see the beauty in colours, patterns in architectures but unfortunately, most lay people can't appreciate all these. So when u come into the shopping centre wielding a DSLR, what do u think it means to the security? Another potential terrorist?

    The irony is that the management who instructs security on what to do often doesn't have clear guidelines on what is allowed to be photographed. So these people in Management are also the ones who will apologize when a complaint is lodged against them.

    Blame it on terrorism. It's no joking matter. I've encoutnered this myself overseas. These poor security guys may be just doing their job, even though they may carry it out poorly and without tact.
    Last edited by kiwi2; 18th December 2005 at 01:44 AM.

  9. #29

    Default Re: encounter with security guard at Sun Plaza

    Isnt the Plaza private property? So you're shooting in their property. They have every right to stop you from taking photos on their property.

  10. #30
    Senior Member jOhO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,485

    Default Re: encounter with security guard at Sun Plaza

    i think it all depends on the attitude of the person confronting me.

    this case, IMO, has nothing to do with the moustached man doing the complaining... i mean, we can't help it if anyone wants to complain about us...

    but what can be helped is that security guards needs to have the decency to be polite and tactful. if i feel that they think i'm guilty just becos someone complains, and is rude and aggressive, i'll turn the tables back on them, and ask them, IF you don't find any images, how will you compensate me, since i'll agree to delete any unauthorised images should you find any. some might say that's absurd, if i was suspected of theft, the police don't need to compensate me if they don't find anything after searching me. well security guards aren't police, and they haven't lost anything being stolen by me holding a camera taking pictures of my daughter or my coffee cup, for that matter.

    most would just shut up or say that there's nothing they can do, and all that "just doing my job crap". well making a citizen feel like he's a criminal without proof IS NOT their job. so i'll probably have my cup of coffee while it's still warm until or unless someone with more politeness comes up to me. wat can they do? physically haul me out of the shopping centre? yank the camera from my arms? if anyone touches me forcefully, i will retaliate. but i won't start anything. i dun care if he's an old man. if old man, lagi shouldn't be starting fights.

    the problem with most of us is that we are "too nice" sometimes. and caught off guard, we usually just give in, and after that, regret not speaking up and let ourselves air thru a public forum, or relating to a friend or wife. i've learnt not to shut up when i need to speak up, becos after the incident, there's no chance.

    this is not about "winning". if indeed there were rules in a private property (and i know there are) about photography i would obey. but they need to first, train their staff to treat the public with respect, and KNOW the rules. is PHOTOGRAPHY disallowed, or dSLRs only? if it's just d/SLR, then PUT d/SLR, don't say photography, becos i can get a great shot of the architecture using a 8mp digicam, which is not an SLR.

    i usually dun respond to such threads where security guards create problems for photographers becos i really find it absurd. not that the thread starter shouldn't open the thread, but it's absurd how the situation has become like this. i personally have never been forbidden from shooting by security, becos almost all the time i shoot, there is a wedding couple in front of me, seems they are more forgiving that way? really retarded... i would LOVE for a security guard to be rude to me while i'm shooting alone for fun one day. which is very seldom...

    of course everything changes when he's polite. i might even CHAT with him about why his job so sian, gotta go ka chiaw pple to see their camera check for pics, must be alot of pple scold him hor? then he will laff and prob say, ya lar, this new rule, sian man, but got family to feed at home, have to do lor... then i'll prob TAKE HIS PIC AND SEND IT TO HIM, and he'll be happy.

    see the difference?!

    damn... this post is too long for it's own good. ahahhahahah

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: encounter with security guard at Sun Plaza

    It is not always terrorist-reason.
    Which terrorist would bother with low class (personal opinion) Sun Plaza?
    When they got Esplanade and fancy US owned 5 star, 6 star hotels to target?

    The main reason for no photo rule is that the owners/lessees of the shops/ supermarkets are afraid you will photograph and "steal" their decoration and shop display ideas.

    Or if the shopping complex is not doing well, they are afraid you are reporter and will take photos of the row upon row of empty shop units and only 3 shoppers in whole shopping complex meant for thousands, and the next day it is in the newspapers for millions of readers to see. This will destroy their business. So of course very kunchiong.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 18th December 2005 at 09:50 AM.

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,184

    Default Re: encounter with security guard at Sun Plaza

    This kind of issue, best is to check with the security first. Some time, inorder to avoid misunderstanding, it is best to ask.

    Like I saw the JTC tower very nice n plan to take photo one day. But I told myself, get permission from the security even I am standing out. Either I been scold by security or police tapping my shoulder from behind.

    But if you feel that the security is rude to you, request to see the management before any things to be done. Management still want face, they sure give way one.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  13. #33

    Default Re: encounter with security guard at Sun Plaza

    Mmmm.... Sun Plaza is located in Sembawang right? Probably it houses one of our armed forces operation centres. A highly sensitive area with a Coffee Bean store for our hardworking men and women in uniforms to enjoy their regular coffee breaks.

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: encounter with security guard at Sun Plaza

    It helps if u spot something interesting and u wait, compose and snap the fella. When he gives u a look, u give an apologetic smile, hold ur cam & bow a little. There's a likely chance the person will take it in stride and smile it away.

    Of cos at times, it helps to wear a very serious look on ur face, wait for a while, examine the scene slowly, once the scene is right, raise and fire.

    So far I'd minimal problems, except once where I had a problem shooting inside Stamford House where the Security Guard came over and demanded 'no photography'. I thought of challenging the rule but thought it'd be best if I juz dismiss it. So I apologised, smiled and left.

    I guess ultimately its how u handle the situation. Try not to act overly guai lan oso. Dun becos in the name of 'rights' start acting all big.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near the Equator
    Posts
    1,255

    Default Re: encounter with security guard at Sun Plaza

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi2
    Haiyah... take it easy... Life is already so complicated with many probs to solve. And I dun think the cops will want to bother themselves with such a case.

    I dun think it has anything much to do with promoting tourism or the commonly thot case of angmohs and Japs dun get stopped. This is some convenient stereotype. Ang mohs do get stopped too if you have read other posts in CS. If there's a large group or especially if u are mean looking and big sized (think Arnold Swazzy!!) then the guard will prob be scared to approach u! Not so much bcos he is not a Sporean.

    To think in another perspective, the poor guy may be only following blindly to do his unappreciated, often seen as a lowly job in society. He may be working to support his family by carrying out instructions from Management. As photographers, we see the beauty in colours, patterns in architectures but unfortunately, most lay people can't appreciate all these. So when u come into the shopping centre wielding a DSLR, what do u think it means to the security? Another potential terrorist?

    The irony is that the management who instructs security on what to do often doesn't have clear guidelines on what is allowed to be photographed. So these people in Management are also the ones who will apologize when a complaint is lodged against them.

    Blame it on terrorism. It's no joking matter. I've encoutnered this myself overseas. These poor security guys may be just doing their job, even though they may carry it out poorly and without tact.

    No one's blaming the guard, its the management that is usually filled with buffoons that have a box of fries short of a happy meal that calls the shots and trains/instructs the guards.

    If the management gets the signal, all and good.There are rules, and we live in a society of law.They have no right to make something up as they go along and let the guard suffer all the brickbats.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

  16. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: encounter with security guard at Sun Plaza

    Wow, I did not logged on over the weekend. Seems like this issue with security guards are encountered quite often.

    Well, I did complain to the management, went straight up to the management office to feedback to the management about the signage and the rude behaviour. The management guy did apologised. So we left at that.

    I wouldn't mind not taking photos at all inside the building. I will also gladly show my photos to the security guard for doing his job, or is interested in my camera. What I don't like is to be treated rudely, as if I am a criminal, just because I have a DSLR. and even worse, it's ok to have P&S or camera phones to shoot, but not DSLR? Tourist ok? Singaporean/certain race cannot? I did not behave suspiciously at all. I was just taking my coffee and fiddling with my camera.

    Technology changes so fast nowadays, If you want to do any dangerous/criminal acts, you don't need to use a DSLR. A camera phone, P&S are so much less noticeable. For spying and terrorism acts, use of those will not alert the security guard at all. So why bother taking out DSLR, which is easily noticeable?

  17. #37

    Default Re: encounter with security guard at Sun Plaza

    just too bad we r born under the category of peasants. Things would be dfferent if u r a FT eg Angmoh or from the Royal family in Singapore. I know r u upset but just have to accept lor!

  18. #38
    Member Taurean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    White Elephants Town
    Posts
    1,700

    Default Re: encounter with security guard at Sun Plaza

    Quote Originally Posted by initialE24
    just too bad we r born under the category of peasants. Things would be dfferent if u r a FT eg Angmoh or from the Royal family in Singapore. I know r u upset but just have to accept lor!
    IMHO it has got to do with the person on the job, if the person is more tactful & polite this kind of situation may be avoided.

  19. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    hErE lAh
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: encounter with security guard at Sun Plaza

    Quote Originally Posted by jOhO
    i think it all depends on the attitude of the person confronting me.

    this case, IMO, has nothing to do with the moustached man doing the complaining... i mean, we can't help it if anyone wants to complain about us...

    but what can be helped is that security guards needs to have the decency to be polite and tactful. if i feel that they think i'm guilty just becos someone complains, and is rude and aggressive, i'll turn the tables back on them, and ask them, IF you don't find any images, how will you compensate me, since i'll agree to delete any unauthorised images should you find any. some might say that's absurd, if i was suspected of theft, the police don't need to compensate me if they don't find anything after searching me. well security guards aren't police, and they haven't lost anything being stolen by me holding a camera taking pictures of my daughter or my coffee cup, for that matter.

    most would just shut up or say that there's nothing they can do, and all that "just doing my job crap". well making a citizen feel like he's a criminal without proof IS NOT their job. so i'll probably have my cup of coffee while it's still warm until or unless someone with more politeness comes up to me. wat can they do? physically haul me out of the shopping centre? yank the camera from my arms? if anyone touches me forcefully, i will retaliate. but i won't start anything. i dun care if he's an old man. if old man, lagi shouldn't be starting fights.

    the problem with most of us is that we are "too nice" sometimes. and caught off guard, we usually just give in, and after that, regret not speaking up and let ourselves air thru a public forum, or relating to a friend or wife. i've learnt not to shut up when i need to speak up, becos after the incident, there's no chance.

    this is not about "winning". if indeed there were rules in a private property (and i know there are) about photography i would obey. but they need to first, train their staff to treat the public with respect, and KNOW the rules. is PHOTOGRAPHY disallowed, or dSLRs only? if it's just d/SLR, then PUT d/SLR, don't say photography, becos i can get a great shot of the architecture using a 8mp digicam, which is not an SLR.

    i usually dun respond to such threads where security guards create problems for photographers becos i really find it absurd. not that the thread starter shouldn't open the thread, but it's absurd how the situation has become like this. i personally have never been forbidden from shooting by security, becos almost all the time i shoot, there is a wedding couple in front of me, seems they are more forgiving that way? really retarded... i would LOVE for a security guard to be rude to me while i'm shooting alone for fun one day. which is very seldom...

    of course everything changes when he's polite. i might even CHAT with him about why his job so sian, gotta go ka chiaw pple to see their camera check for pics, must be alot of pple scold him hor? then he will laff and prob say, ya lar, this new rule, sian man, but got family to feed at home, have to do lor... then i'll prob TAKE HIS PIC AND SEND IT TO HIM, and he'll be happy.

    see the difference?!

    damn... this post is too long for it's own good. ahahhahahah
    IDEA!

  20. #40

    Default Re: encounter with security guard at Sun Plaza

    Glad to hear that the security guards are not slacking.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •