Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 75 of 75

Thread: Security Guard Paranoia

  1. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Chestnut
    Posts
    3,171

    Default Re: Security Guard Paranoia

    I guess it is always a matter of apearance, I was told off by the staff of a swim school once when I was holding a long lens, taking pictures of my son, I was told that I was distracting the swimmers.....but a parent who was holding a PNS and going close to the pool or one holding a videocam is ok......maybe they did not lik e my face or something....irony is, with my long lens I was more discreet and further away from the swimmers....most of the time not quite visible to them from their pool view.

  2. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Beyond Space-Time Continuum
    Posts
    6,324

    Default Re: Security Guard Paranoia

    Quote Originally Posted by blive
    Sorry, remind me again which part of my case is a bit pushing it?

    Sorry, I did not logged on over the weekend, and this thread is now so long....
    Hahah I meant that your case is crossing the line more than radedward`s

  3. #63

    Default Re: Security Guard Paranoia

    I think we have to consider from the guards point of view too.

    1)They work long hours, some don't even have a rest day.
    2)They're on their feet the whole day,
    3)If they don't caution or inform the people, the sup might dock their pay. (their pay is already quite small)
    4)If they get complained for doing their job, the sup might dock their pay.
    5)Sometimes when they ask politely people don't listen - I've seen this in action before. quiz : who gets in trouble again? and some photographers think they own the whole bloody place.
    6)Informing, warning, cautioning repetitively the whole day taxes on the patience, you sound gruff and rude even if you didn't mean to.


    I've talked to some of these guards before and I pity them. My friend tried working as a guard before, he didn't even last a month. "The people were rude and demanding and step all over you its not worth the pay" - his quote

    Before griping, complaining, wanting to sue like corporate America.....I suggest stop and think it through. I know any of us will have our sense of "righteousness" pricked in the same situation but try to grin and bear it - doesn't cost a thing.

  4. #64
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near the Equator
    Posts
    1,255

    Default Re: Security Guard Paranoia

    Quote Originally Posted by pscion12
    I think we have to consider from the guards point of view too.

    1)They work long hours, some don't even have a rest day.
    2)They're on their feet the whole day,
    3)If they don't caution or inform the people, the sup might dock their pay. (their pay is already quite small)
    4)If they get complained for doing their job, the sup might dock their pay.
    5)Sometimes when they ask politely people don't listen - I've seen this in action before. quiz : who gets in trouble again? and some photographers think they own the whole bloody place.
    6)Informing, warning, cautioning repetitively the whole day taxes on the patience, you sound gruff and rude even if you didn't mean to.


    I've talked to some of these guards before and I pity them. My friend tried working as a guard before, he didn't even last a month. "The people were rude and demanding and step all over you its not worth the pay" - his quote

    Before griping, complaining, wanting to sue like corporate America.....I suggest stop and think it through. I know any of us will have our sense of "righteousness" pricked in the same situation but try to grin and bear it - doesn't cost a thing.
    best thing to do is to complain to the management about their highhanded attitudes and how they are not teaching the guards correctly.Don't whack the men in uniform, go after the ones who earn their 4 digit pay.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

  5. #65

    Default Re: Security Guard Paranoia

    and guess who they will tekan?.....and after that guess who the guards will tekan?......

    Usually I find its the management problem la.....if they're firm, clear and willing to take feedbacks and are fair, then it shouldn't be much of a problem. But of course when we feedback (gentleman feedback, we don't complain ) we also have to take care and watch out for our tone and language.

    Most of the time I can't be bothered as long as they don't try to confiscate my gear. I've been stopped a few times already, even at Tekka mall so now when I enter the malls my gear goes in the bag. Which is quite sad really, I remembered the time when my dad took photos of the family everywhere and no one stopped him.

    Incidentally, I took some pics of the huge Christmas tree recently during the closing time and the guards were fine with it. It was great, cause the lights were all off and the tree simply glowed.

  6. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    strewberry farm
    Posts
    256

    Default Re: Security Guard Paranoia

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Building designs are copyrighted, not patented, and you do not infringe the copyright in a building by taking a photograph of that building.

    As for the building perimter, when in doubt, just go across the nearest road - I would be surprised if the perimter extends to across the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    yes but you do not own that image of the building in the photo as that the design is manifested in there. depending on how picky the owners want to read the rules. photographing a building doesn't infringe on the copyright, what i am referring to is the ownership of the image, please read carefully. making money out of selling a picture of a building one photographed is definitely an infringement of copyright.
    just to add on from what vince123123 had said, according to http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/non_versi.../homepage.html chapter 63 section 66, "Publication of artistic works
    66. The copyright in an artistic work is not infringed by the publication of a painting, drawing, engraving, photograph or cinematograph film if, by virtue of section 63, 64 or 65, the making of that painting, drawing, engraving, photograph or film did not constitute an infringement of the copyright."

    Therefore I believe it not wrong to publish such photograph to make money if it fit into section 63,64 or 65. If anyone think otherwise, pls enlighten us. Thank in advance.
    Last edited by clarinet; 5th January 2006 at 10:45 PM.

  7. #67
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Security Guard Paranoia

    Yeap, finally a correct position stated - but anyway the absence of a response from the relevant folks seems to imply quite a lot already

    Nevertheless, thanks for sharing

    Quote Originally Posted by clarinet
    just to add on from what vince123123 had said, according to http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/non_versi.../homepage.html chapter 63 section 66, "Publication of artistic works
    66. The copyright in an artistic work is not infringed by the publication of a painting, drawing, engraving, photograph or cinematograph film if, by virtue of section 63, 64 or 65, the making of that painting, drawing, engraving, photograph or film did not constitute an infringement of the copyright."

    Therefore I believe it not wrong to publish such photograph to make money if it fit into section 63,64 or 65. If anyone think otherwise, pls enlighten us. Thank in advance.

  8. #68
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: Security Guard Paranoia

    It happened again just now to me.

    "No photography, You must seek permission... blah blah blah..."

    So paranoid!

    Was taking pics of RP's old campus.

  9. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Security Guard Paranoia

    Nah, he scared u will take pictures of the various supporting structures and bomb the campus to bits mah.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  10. #70

    Default Re: Security Guard Paranoia

    Quote Originally Posted by radedward
    I know what you're trying to say. Avoid unnecessary trouble when possible.
    But for my part, I think that authority should not have been exerted at all in the first place.

    I agree that it's their territory but I believe that they should treat you as a guest rather than a criminal. I know it's difficult for a larger organization to do that but as a service-oriented company, they should try.

    I've been thinking to myself why I feel strongly about this and the conclusion is that it impinges on my integrity. I'm no great man but I try to do what is right (emphasis on try ) and I really don't like it when people do these sort of things.

    Can you imagine if it got a step further?
    The guard recognizes camera bags and sees you walking around with one and comes up to you and tells you that you shouldn't be taking pictures in their premises. It's just a small step from what I encountered. It might happen or it might not. It's funny when you think about it but not so funny if it does happen.
    With all your reasonings here, won't it be better to just talk nicely back to that guard at that point ? like "Uncle, I didn't take photos lah, just hold in hand only." You can make it funny, simple, or even direct (but still remain respectful and courteous), at least he'll get some feedback about his actions. I don't think he's reading clubsnap, nor his management.
    36frames Wedding Photography - http://www.36frames.com
    rueyloon - http://www.rueyloon.com

  11. #71
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Land of the woods........
    Posts
    1,360

    Default Re: Security Guard Paranoia

    Nowadays it's like that....

    I got two patrol cars pulled over and surrounded by 4 men in blue as i worked on my compo of a bicycle at 5 in the morning.

    The problem is....the bicycle was parked outside the MRT station.

  12. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    strewberry farm
    Posts
    256

    Default Re: Security Guard Paranoia

    I saw a no photography without permission sign on the basement entrence in esplanade. But seem like I still see people using minature cam in there...

  13. #73
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: Security Guard Paranoia

    Any info on the laws about shooting of/inside buildings?
    Last edited by redstone; 12th March 2006 at 08:12 PM.

  14. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    strewberry farm
    Posts
    256

    Default Re: Security Guard Paranoia

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    Any info on the laws about shooting of/inside buildings?
    the copyright act chapter 63 section 64 from my understanding is, taking photo of the building is no problem. If you go into the building, that is another thing call trespassing.....
    Last edited by clarinet; 12th March 2006 at 07:45 PM.

  15. #75
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: Security Guard Paranoia

    But at times it's a matter of 'security'... Like shopping malls, office lobbies....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •