Thread: Choosing a filter

Default Choosing a filter

I'm planning a trip to Edinburgh in Jan 06. I foresee that the sunlight won't be that bright, and with all the dull old buildings ... the pictures might turn out to be really boring and lifeless.

Do you think adding a filter would help? If so, what would you suggest? Will be shooting a 50/50 mixture of city landscape + people.

Thanks in advance!

Current tool
    1/ EOS 3
    2/ EF-50 1.4
    3/ 430EX flash
    4/ Usually shoot with kodak 100 film

Default Re: Choosing a filter

how about shooting with some really good slides instead of resorting to filters. if there's not going to be much light then u don't really want to be screwing filters on/off when they end up stopping some amount of light. if u must, then maybe the 81 series of warming filters. but honestly, why shoot kodak 100 when there's so much better film out there. heck, haven't u heard that kodak 100 is blasted as one of the lousiest negatives on the market. heh. use slides, eg. provia 100f since its 50/50 landscape & pple.

Quote Originally Posted by tcct
    I'm planning a trip to Edinburgh in Jan 06. I foresee that the sunlight won't be that bright, and with all the dull old buildings ... the pictures might turn out to be really boring and lifeless.

Do you think adding a filter would help? If so, what would you suggest? Will be shooting a 50/50 mixture of city landscape + people.

Thanks in advance!

Current tool
    1/ EOS 3
    2/ EF-50 1.4
    3/ 430EX flash
    4/ Usually shoot with kodak 100 film
    I went to Edinburgh in 2002. I was using Kodak 200 film, and the colours are good. I think the Kodak 100 film is too slow. Perhaps you can try slide like suggested too.

Thanks for your advice!!!

But if die die must shoot color negatives, fuji superia is that way to go??

Was finding it kinda odd that many shops don't carry kodak CNs anymore ... got all of my kodaks from cathay.

Quote Originally Posted by tcct
    Thanks for your advice!!!

But if die die must shoot color negatives, fuji superia is that way to go??

Was finding it kinda odd that many shops don't carry kodak CNs anymore ... got all of my kodaks from cathay.
    I don't use fuji, cause I go to the Kodak express in Yishun, where the owner adjusts the photos for me during developing. The guy is over zealous in adjusting for me... Last trip to Nepal in 03, I took a series of sunrise with different exposure, and all the shots came out the same. I had to go back to him to tell him to redevelop based on the original, cause I wanted the different exposures!!! He did it for free, cause I am a regular customer.

?I could still get Kodak film there though. Thought its quite common for 200 & 400. I don't think many people use 100. I stop using them four years ago, shortly after I got my Nikon F65. Kodak 200 was more suitable for my travel photography.

As for film type, it really depends on the processing shop you usually go to, cause there is a slight colour variation with the chemicals and film type used.