Thread: How to snapshot this fish tank???

Default How to snapshot this fish tank???

using eyes, the fish tank is blue because i using blue light only.
    But i can see this coral growing bright yellow and is very beautiful
    but when using camera, the colour is different what i see
    how to make it what i see, will be show????( setting)
    if i ON my MH light, is like using flash

blue screen

using flash

Default Re: How to snapshot this fish tank???

not too sure, but how about trying on a filter that reduces the blue colour?

the blue light is casting a strong hue on the coral, overpowering the yellow. i'm assuming you are using a long shutter speed for exposure?

there are several ways you can solve this problem. but i propose this method:
    (i'm assuming you are using a digital camera and you are familiar with the basics of 'photoshop')

1) shut off the blue light and expose for the coral as you normally would (white balance to get the color right)

2) turn on the blue light and do a second exposure (exactly the same composition and angle) for the overall ambience.

blend in the two exposures to get the "correct" look.

ya... evidence of a long exposure for the 1st pic... may i ask whats the lens you are using? u might wanna try a faster lens... as in bigger aperture, so that it can be shot at a faster speed. alternatively, maybe you could position your flash from the top of the tank & try... lower the intensity of the flash as well...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

i'm not sure of the way to solve it, but i can tell u my opinion of whats happening. are u familiar with how contrast filters work in b&w photography? a blue filter will lighten (let in) blue, cyan, magenta while darken (block out) yellow, red, green colours. i suspect your blue light is acting that same filter function.

blive's suggestion of a filter is right, but the filter should be for the blue light, not the camera lense. use cellophane(sp??) or something. try out the following colours that cancels blue, yellow/green/red. i think that's the best bet.

Maybe u wanna try placing your flash (If u r a dslr user) on top of your tank and trigger it off using a transmitter? It is how I did it for the pic below. It shows the true colour of my fishes. Hope it helps.

Last edited by sinner1974; 19th December 2005 at 03:26 PM.
    550D|17-40|70-200 4 IS|100 2.8|50 1.8|ST-E2|580EX|190proB 486RC2

Quote Originally Posted by sinner1974
    Maybe u wanna try placing your flash (If u r a dslr user) on top of your tank and trigger if off using a transmitter? It is how I did it for the pic below. It shows the true colour of my fishes. Hope it helps.

Veryyyy Nice shots if I do say so.....