Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: where to get Money order in USD

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    431

    Default where to get Money order in USD

    where to get money order in USD. I wanted to buy something from the US but i do not have a credit/debit card. Checked with singapore post already, they so not have money orders available

    anyone can help?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: where to get Money order in USD

    western union?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: where to get Money order in USD

    Any banks example UOB, DBS, OCBC, there is a service charge take note.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    431

    Default Re: where to get Money order in USD

    it is easy for the merchants over that side to clear?
    heard somewhere that it takes 30 days to do so.

    BTW that reply was fast

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: where to get Money order in USD

    Ask the guy in US to provide u his name, bank name, bank address and bank account number, then bring this to any local bank, tell the bank u want to wire transfer the money over, the process takes about 10 minutes, but the US guy will probably receive the money on the next day.

    Alternatively, get the guy name and address, and go to any local bank, tell the bank u want to buy a cheque in US$, the process takes about 20 minutes, the bank will then give u the US$ cheque, then u send it over by postal service.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: where to get Money order in USD

    whose reply fast?

    anyway, depends on the merchants, some might not even accept western union & such...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: where to get Money order in USD

    Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Ask the guy in US to provide u his name, bank name, bank address and bank account number, then bring this to any local bank, tell the bank u want to wire transfer the money over, the process takes about 10 minutes, but the US guy will probably receive the money on the next day.

    Alternatively, get the guy name and address, and go to any local bank, tell the bank u want to buy a cheque in US$, the process takes about 20 minutes, the bank will then give u the US$ cheque, then u send it over by postal service.
    u suggesting using TT?

    alternatively, some money changers also do transfers. Simplest method is to get a proforma invoice from the guy 1st, den all information needed is there. just go down & transfer.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    431

    Default Re: where to get Money order in USD

    thanks will try it out tomorrow...
    was really having the idea of just putting a US$10 in the envelop and sent it over

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: where to get Money order in USD

    Quote Originally Posted by nicholas1986
    thanks will try it out tomorrow...
    was really having the idea of just putting a US$10 in the envelop and sent it over
    huh 10 bucks? i thought how much...

    i think the cost of TT also more than 10 bucks already... (about 20-30 sgd bucks...)
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  10. #10

    Default Re: where to get Money order in USD

    For purchases in the US:

    1) Get a International Bank Draft for USD from any Post OFFICE counter. All you need is the person's name and address (preferably also a phone number, but not necessary). I don;t know about huge amounts, but I've paid a service charge of $8 for BD of a few hunders dollars. Post the BD via Registered Air Mail. Because of the tracking involved it would take about 2 weeks. Once it gets there, it normally takes another 2 weeks or so to get cleared by US banks.

    2) Western Union is a wire transfer service - the money gets transferred IMMEDIATELY upon completion of the necessary on your side. Again, the receiver's name and address is required. The secret question and answer is optional for most countries, but is advised for added security. You give the other party the required number and the question and answer, and with that information, they collect the money immediately over the counter.
    WU is normally advise only if you know the other party well as there is no way to recover the money if you get conned.

    Hope this helps.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: where to get Money order in USD

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    u suggesting using TT?

    alternatively, some money changers also do transfers. Simplest method is to get a proforma invoice from the guy 1st, den all information needed is there. just go down & transfer.
    In Singapore we call TT (telegraphic transfer) but in US I think they still call wire transfer (still use wire ), it is the same thing lah.
    Be careful of the money changer that do transfer, not too long ago there was 1 in City Plaza area, the boss pocketed all the money for gambling and is now in prison.

  12. #12

    Default Re: where to get Money order in USD

    AIYOH, now I see! *smacks own head*

    Yah lor, for US$10, just double wrap it (so it can't be seen - posting currency is illegal) and post it via Registered Air Mail!

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    431

    Default Re: where to get Money order in USD

    whats the difference bank draft and money order? Called up singpost today that they need the recipient bank acc # which i was thinking a bit troublesome. Oh ya singpost charges $8 per draft and maxium is $6400

    BTW the purchase is from a US merchant not the usual ebay person

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: where to get Money order in USD

    Quote Originally Posted by nicholas1986
    whats the difference bank draft and money order? Called up singpost today that they need the recipient bank acc # which i was thinking a bit troublesome. Oh ya singpost charges $8 per draft and maxium is $6400

    BTW the purchase is from a US merchant not the usual ebay person
    i suggest u find a person with CC to help u pay the money, easier, den u give him the 16-17 bucks... still save the 8 bucks for draft
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  15. #15
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: where to get Money order in USD

    vpost got a concierge service. Service charge is $10 per transaction per merchant. But you have to check with them if they will deal with the merchant you want to buy from. They will use their CC to pay for you. Of cause, you have to pay vpost 1st.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •