Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: No Medical Leave

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    A strange place
    Posts
    34

    Default No Medical Leave

    Hi CSrs

    One of my friends company informed to my friend and his colleagues, there is no medical leave from january 1, 2006 onwards. They also got an e-mail. All are worried a lot. They are looking for the next best step like how to convince their employers to get the medical leaves and if the employer said no, what are the alternative solutions available (because they are happy with their jobs)?

    FYI: Till december 2005, the company provided only 6 medical leaves to the employees.

  2. #2
    Member/Tangshooter zaxh81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,339

    Default Re: No Medical Leave

    check with MOM,they have regulations for employer to follow.


  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: No Medical Leave

    Some ppl think that medical leave is a way of free holiday, every month must take 1 or 2 days medical leave.

  4. #4
    Member/Tangshooter zaxh81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,339

    Default Re: No Medical Leave

    Quote Originally Posted by hidden_treasure
    Hi CSrs

    One of my friends company informed to my friend and his colleagues, there is no medical leave from january 1, 2006 onwards. They also got an e-mail. All are worried a lot. They are looking for the next best step like how to convince their employers to get the medical leaves and if the employer said no, what are the alternative solutions available (because they are happy with their jobs)?

    FYI: Till december 2005, the company provided only 6 medical leaves to the employees.
    6 days medical leave not enough?


  5. #5
    Senior Member poohbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    1,163

    Default Re: No Medical Leave

    Turn up for work and spread the virus to everyone else .The boss will change his mind when everybody , including him are sick.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: No Medical Leave

    Quote Originally Posted by zaxh81
    6 days medical leave not enough?
    Some ppl will abuse the system and think they must maximize their medical leave, if company allow 100 days they will take 100 days medical leave.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    A strange place
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: No Medical Leave

    Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Some ppl think that medical leave is a way of free holiday, every month must take 1 or 2 days medical leave.
    As far my knowledge, I took only 2 days in a year. Dont expect every one like this. What if the person really sick? Do you want the person come to office?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    A strange place
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: No Medical Leave

    Quote Originally Posted by zaxh81
    6 days medical leave not enough?
    I said there is no medical leaves (that 6 is also gone boss).

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    A strange place
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: No Medical Leave

    The question is what is the best solution, those who are suffered?

  10. #10

    Default Re: No Medical Leave

    The company can be sued. According to MOM's act, they are to provide 14 days of MC.

    "14 working days if no hospitalisation is necessary; but where hospitalisation is necessary, the 14 days would be extended up to 60 working days by the doctor. An employee is deemed to be hospitalised if he is certified by a doctor to be in need of hospitalisation although he is, in fact, not hospitalised for one reason or another."

    http://www.mom.gov.sg/FAQs/LabourRel.../SickLeave.htm

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: No Medical Leave

    Quote Originally Posted by hidden_treasure
    As far my knowledge, I took only 2 days in a year. Dont expect every one like this. What if the person really sick? Do you want the person come to office?
    I would reward the staff who take only <2 days medical leave in a year, giving out a special bonus and a higher salary increment. And do the opposite for those that take excessive medical leave. I think that is fair for both.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    A strange place
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: No Medical Leave

    Pardon me. They don't want to go all those this. Everyone is working in contract and not permanent position. They are very happy with their work. Every one is having a family and child.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,131

    Default Re: No Medical Leave

    Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Some ppl will abuse the system and think they must maximize their medical leave, if company allow 100 days they will take 100 days medical leave.
    Have you read this thread? http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=166904

  14. #14

    Default Re: No Medical Leave

    Quote Originally Posted by tokrot
    The company can be sued. According to MOM's act, they are to provide 14 days of MC.

    "14 working days if no hospitalisation is necessary; but where hospitalisation is necessary, the 14 days would be extended up to 60 working days by the doctor. An employee is deemed to be hospitalised if he is certified by a doctor to be in need of hospitalisation although he is, in fact, not hospitalised for one reason or another."

    http://www.mom.gov.sg/FAQs/LabourRel.../SickLeave.htm

    not MoM Act, more like Employment Act

    please note that not all employees are covered by that Act

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    A strange place
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: No Medical Leave

    Just have a doubt. Is it good to discuss here or I should get permission from moderator? Pls some one clarify.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    A strange place
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: No Medical Leave

    Just double checked with friend, what he says he can take a leave, when he is sick? But he has to come and work on other day like sunday or public holiday to compensate.

  17. #17

    Default Re: No Medical Leave

    Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    I would reward the staff who take only <2 days medical leave in a year, giving out a special bonus and a higher salary increment. And do the opposite for those that take excessive medical leave. I think that is fair for both.
    Astin, how I wish you were my boss!

    I worked for 16 years with a certain employer, and NEVER TOOK A SINGLE DAY LEAVE! It does not mean I did not get sick. But work load was so bad that despite sickness, I turned up to do my share of the work.

    But believe me, this sort of things are not much appreciated in the institution I worked for!

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,741

    Default Re: No Medical Leave

    Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    I would reward the staff who take only <2 days medical leave in a year, giving out a special bonus and a higher salary increment. And do the opposite for those that take excessive medical leave. I think that is fair for both.
    I remember I read some where that, some employee don't dare to take sick leave due to afraid of giving the boss bad impression, but end up staying no productive in the office due to the sickness, delay his/her own recovery due to not enough rest, infected his/her colleague with the illness and end up causing more lost to the company.
    I do agree that some employee do abuse the sick leave system, but it's not a good way to reward the person who suppose to rest at home and gain faster recovery, end up causing more lost to the company.
    Just my personal opinion, please don't flame me.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,131

    Default Re: No Medical Leave

    Quote Originally Posted by hidden_treasure
    Just double checked with friend, what he says he can take a leave, when he is sick? But he has to come and work on other day like sunday or public holiday to compensate.
    I don't understand. If he had applied leave, why would he need to compensate?

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    A strange place
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: No Medical Leave

    Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    I don't understand. If he had applied leave, why would he need to compensate?
    If you apply a medical leave, that is basically Paid Leave. If you compensate means, it is not paid leave. It means you have to work on some other day for the leave you took earlier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •