Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31

Thread: Whats the difference in picture quality between a P&S and a DSLR?

  1. #21

    Default Re: Whats the difference in picture quality between a P&S and a DSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by blive
    Why is there a need for composition using LCD? No doubt easier, but with practise and experience, composing a shot with VF is not that difficult.
    Its a valid point to inform buyers before they jump to dSLR, especially those used to compact cameras. a live preview LCD sometimes be useful, example concerts or crowded places where you can lift your camera high above your head and get a shot, or those difficult to reach corners for a special macro shot, or self potraits, etc.

  2. #22
    Member patch17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    728

    Default Re: Whats the difference in picture quality between a P&S and a DSLR?

    nil, zip, nada, it's the brain behind the camera that makes the difference.
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Jurong Island
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Whats the difference in picture quality between a P&S and a DSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by boroangel
    Ever since that Ben from AP let me touch the D50...initial reaction was that it was so much bigger than my S5500......but now its like kinda contagious.....keep thinking about it.....if shooting using the D50 kit lens gives better image quality and sharpness than S9500 then it will be very tempting since the S9500 cost almost 1K and the D50 is like $1200+ now...

    PS: Next time just see dont touch...touch liao cannot resist hehe...
    QUICK QUICK!!! GO TOUCH THE D200!!!

  4. #24

    Default Re: Whats the difference in picture quality between a P&S and a DSLR?

    What the most expensive DSLR around ah and how much it cost? Got a pic anot? so that next time the sales try to lend me I dont touch...

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,741

    Default Re: Whats the difference in picture quality between a P&S and a DSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by boroangel
    What the most expensive DSLR around ah and how much it cost? Got a pic anot? so that next time the sales try to lend me I dont touch...
    Something like this full format?
    phase one
    Not sure about the price though.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Eastern Part
    Posts
    306

    Default Re: Whats the difference in picture quality between a P&S and a DSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by boroangel
    Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question.....been using the S5500 for some time now and really itching for a S9500 or a DSLR soon.....very attracted by the D50.....but I was just wondering....I know DSLR would give better pics than a normal prosumer but let say I have a prosumer and a DSLR......both having the same MP and focal ranges and I shoot at the same settings, aperture, shutter speed,ISO, white balance etc.........is there a huge difference in the picture quality like colour and sharpness produced by the respective cameras?
    The difference can be quite obvious at the extremely end of the ISO range but not very much at the lowest end, Unless you start blowing them up to 16x20 or bigger. This difference is due largely to the sensor size. With the same mp count, the larger SLR sensor allows cleaner noiseless picture for a wider range of iso settings. This is because the larger area allows more space between sensor pixels which reduces signal interference between them, thus resulting in less noise generated.
    Incidently, it is also this sensor size difference that require SLR lenses to be larger for the same magnification as prosumers.

    Also keep in mind that with a bigger camera, you might opt to leave the camera at home on those days that you are not specfically going out to take pictures whereas, with a smaller prosumer camera, you might decide to bring it along just for the heck of it. On these days, which will be more than you think, you might get the oportunity to capture 'the picture of a lifetime'. Now comparing this picture with no picture at all, I'd say that the quality would be infinitely better than an SLR literaly.
    Add to this, the nice little extras like being able to take movies as well, It'd really start you thinking wouldn't it?

  7. #27

    Default Re: Whats the difference in picture quality between a P&S and a DSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by zcf
    Something like this full format?
    phase one
    Not sure about the price though.
    its no more the cannon mk2?
    tt cost 2 bombs??

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Gim Boon Tai
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Re: Whats the difference in picture quality between a P&S and a DSLR?

    Digital backs can go up for 40k++++, way more ex than 1dsmk2. And thats only the back ur buying, no cam no finder yet!
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

  9. #29

    Default Re: Whats the difference in picture quality between a P&S and a DSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by MDZ2
    The difference can be quite obvious at the extremely end of the ISO range but not very much at the lowest end, Unless you start blowing them up to 16x20 or bigger. This difference is due largely to the sensor size. With the same mp count, the larger SLR sensor allows cleaner noiseless picture for a wider range of iso settings. This is because the larger area allows more space between sensor pixels which reduces signal interference between them, thus resulting in less noise generated.
    Incidently, it is also this sensor size difference that require SLR lenses to be larger for the same magnification as prosumers.

    Also keep in mind that with a bigger camera, you might opt to leave the camera at home on those days that you are not specfically going out to take pictures whereas, with a smaller prosumer camera, you might decide to bring it along just for the heck of it. On these days, which will be more than you think, you might get the oportunity to capture 'the picture of a lifetime'. Now comparing this picture with no picture at all, I'd say that the quality would be infinitely better than an SLR literaly.
    Add to this, the nice little extras like being able to take movies as well, It'd really start you thinking wouldn't it?
    Ok now you are pulling me back to a S9500.....although if I get a DSLR I would still keep my S5500 as its my first camera.

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Jurong Island
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Whats the difference in picture quality between a P&S and a DSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by boroangel
    Ok now you are pulling me back to a S9500.....although if I get a DSLR I would still keep my S5500 as its my first camera.
    Actually you have got to decide on what your basic intention is. To take good photos or mainly a P&S shot. I bought a Canon S2 during June 05 but sold it off after 5months of usage coz it doesnt seem to meet to my expectations. I would expect that it should be able to take a Bokeh photo (Focus on subject but blur background) but it hardly can do the job. Eventually, I found out that it isnt about me but because the sensor cant handle the job. If you are looking for DSLR, perhaps you can go to our Buy & Sell sections because you can get very good deal there.

    I've bought a D70 after I sold off my Canon S2 for $1,900. The package includes

    i.) D70 (Body only), 1 yr old, Shutter Count 2,500
    ii.) AF 50mm f1.4 + filter
    iii.) Speedlight SB800
    iv.) 2 x 1 GB CF Card
    v.) 2 x Original Batteries

    And I acquire a 18-70 f4-5.6 (kit lens for D70/ D70s) lately for $340.

    Total costs = $2,240.00 (to date)

  11. #31
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,170

    Default Re: Whats the difference in picture quality between a P&S and a DSLR?

    Quote Originally Posted by boroangel
    Ok now you are pulling me back to a S9500.....although if I get a DSLR I would still keep my S5500 as its my first camera.
    trust me, once u got yr DSLR, yr S5000 will be left alone...
    u just can't go back to a "slow" cam.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •