Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please recommend a B&W.

Default Please recommend a B&W film.....

Hi all,

Can anyone of you plse recommend a B&W film for potraits and another for shooting those run down shophouses. Completely new to B&W photography.

Cheers!!
    Last edited by NitroTech; 5th November 2002 at 04:03 PM.

Default Re: Please recommend a B&W.

Originally posted by NitroTech
    Hi all,

Can anyone of you plse recommend a B&W film for potraits and another for shooting those run down shophouses. Completely new to B&W photography.

Cheers!!
    Try Kodak T400CN for the portraits. The low contrast should make it look good on portraits. I've tried it successfully in weddings. For the rundown shophouses, try something like Tri X or Ilford HP5+.

Regards
    CK

TMax 100 and TMax 400. Can develop urself also. It's fun.

Not to mention, if u scratch ur negs when u develop them...... then........................

ooops, me going hysterical

I second CK's choice of the HP5+. Good grain structure and tones. Using it most of the time when I'm not experimenting with other B&W films.

Can also try the Delta 100 for fine grains but prepare to drag that tripod out though. Another film I would go for would be the Delta 3200. Fast, relatively fine grain. You won't really see them unless you blow the print up to 8R.

Here's a shot I took with the Delta 3200.
    http://www2.photosig.com/viewphoto.php?id=158982

Thanks guys for all inputs!!! Appreciate it.... BTW CK, where's the best place to buy these films? And where do you recommend I develop it at?

Cheers!!

Thanks guys for all inputs!!! Appreciate it.... BTW CK, where's the best place to buy these films? And where do you recommend I develop it at?

Cheers!!
    Try Ruby. They're pretty well stocked with Illford.

Originally posted by Kit

Try Ruby. They're pretty well stocked with Illford.
    Cheers mate!!!

Default Re: Please recommend a B&W film.....

Hi all,

Cheers!!
    For the classic 60s look portrait shots try Kodak Tri-X.

Ilford XP2 Super or Kodak T400CN is you want a chromogenic B/W that processes in C41 chemistry.

Ilford Delta 100 Professional for superb skin tones or Ilford Pan F plus for creamy smooth tonality and transitions. Just note that Delta 100 is not a forgiving film, exposure has to be spot on.

Kodak Portra B/W - superb stuff, hard to find, expensive and rivals Ilford for great portraits.

Run down shop houses ..

Kodak Tech Pan (not recommended for novices)
    Ilford Pan F plus.
    Ilford Delta 100
    Ilford HP5 plus
    Kodak Tri-X
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Default Re: Please recommend a B&W film.....

Hi all,

Cheers!!
    Get a E-10 to replace film look here

Talking about black and white film,

what is the budget to get all the necessary things for self b&w film development....ie getting like the developer, stop bath solution, and so on including the film tanks and measuring cylinders and stuff?

Me using Tmax right now and finds it a little bit ex to develop and print. So thinking of developing film on my own....(and send to lab for prints or contacts) ......at least cut down cost for long term.

Maybe even getting a b&w mini darkroom in my room in future?????

looking forward to replies and reccomendations.

regards
    hondacub ......

just wondering, how much would ilford delta 100 and 3200 cost?

Cheers mate!!!
    So when U planning to shoot there?
    Me planning to shoot there as well - Chinatown.
    Wan to tab along with me?

Originally posted by scanner

So when U planning to shoot there?
    Me planning to shoot there as well - Chinatown.
    Wan to tab along with me?
    Why cannot say you tag along with me leh?

Why cannot say you tag along with me leh?
    Whatever lah.....U tag I tag we tag together lah..

Originally posted by hondacub
    Talking about black and white film,

what is the budget to get all the necessary things for self b&w film development....ie getting like the developer, stop bath solution, and so on including the film tanks and measuring cylinders and stuff?

looking forward to replies and reccomendations.

regards
    hondacub ......
    All up a couple of hundred bucks.

It's best to use developer as a one shot solution, this increases the cost per roll, but gives much better results.

Things you'll need and a rough budget. Prices in SG may be cheaper.

Developing tank (2 rolls 135 or 1 roll 120) $50
    Extra film spool - $20
    75-100mm graduate $12
    600mm graduate $30
    Squeegie - $15
    Film changing bag (if not using darkroom) $30+
    3 bottles (plastic) for mixed chemistry ($3-5 each)
    Thermometer ($20-$50 depending on accuracy)
    Stopwatch or timer $varies
    Cannister Opener - $10
    Film clips (cost about 10 bucks a pair)
    Squeegie - $10-15

Chemistry prices vary depending on the exact chemistry you are going to use.
    The Ang Moh from Hell

Hi,

Got a question to ask... This is my first time trying out a real B&W film and i sent it to a photolab and the results were quite surprising to me. I've got huge grain. How come? Pls see my example in http://www.pbase.com/vipan
    under the tmax gallery. i compressed the files so it tends to exagerate the grains even more... What is wrong with the pics? Thanks for your time.

Default darkroom in bedroom

It is perfectly possible to have a darkroom in your bedroom, I used to have one and usually do printing at night (outside is dark and not much stray light coming in) with all windows covered. Had htee baths: developer, fixer and BIG tub waterbath. Important to have a BIG amount of water, I usually don;t use stopbath, i just wash the paper in the BIG watertub and then transfer it to the fixer. This does reduce the fixer lifetime, but it reduces the number of solutions and space usage. After fixing (not more than 5 minutes!! otherwise the image layer comes off the paperbase) I wash them in the BIG watertub. At the end of all printings I wash the prints again in running water in the bathroom, and clean the bedroom. Remember to ventilate the bedroom at the end before you sleep! :-) The fixer damp is not good (acidic). The prints are then left for drying on newspapers after squeezing the water away with a window squeezer (those with a piece of rubber, BUT make sure to wash them in water first to remove any sandparticles that can ruin and scratch your prints!!)

I would also not use squeezer for the film after washing!! They can leave scratches!! Use 'wetting agent' which is a detergent, use a few drops and wash your film in it, leave it there for a few minutes, wash in water and take out the film from the spool. Hang the film without removing the bubbles (they will dissappear after a while).

Good Luck!

Default grainy prints from labs

Hi Gunjack,

I experienced the same thing, i use Tri-X film, also grainy film, but when I send them to a lab what they do is scanning them before printing. Somehow (still a puzzle to me) this process increases the grain size (and contrast), so i don't do it again unless I am too lazy again to do my own printing.

Is it possible to just have a photolab develop and scan non-chromogenic b&w films. Then you use photoshop to do whatever adjustments you think is required, and then send them for printing. Will the results be horrible? If not, what's the expected costs and a recommended photolab?

Default Re: darkroom in bedroom

Originally posted by hongsien
    I would also not use squeezer for the film after washing!! They can leave scratches!! Use 'wetting agent' which is a detergent, use a few drops and wash your film in it, leave it there for a few minutes, wash in water and take out the film from the spool. Hang the film without removing the bubbles (they will dissappear after a while).

Good Luck!
    Strange that, I've developed some 3,000 (yes, three thousand) rolls of B/W over the years and have used a squeegie on each and every roll and never scratched a single one.

My washing process is loosely based on the Ilford Archival method, which uses a mere 6 litres of water per film plus wetting agent to stop streaking.
    The Ang Moh from Hell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast