Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does a good tripod really matters?

Default Re: Does a good tripod really matters?

Dont buy cheapo sub $50 tripod only to use it to hold $5000 worth of gear and expect it to keep it safe....
    Canon 6D | Sony A7II w Metabones IV | Lenses and Flash

my personal experience is get a tripod that really feels solid in your hands.
    My history of tripods I've used ranged from cheap chinese ones like Beike (QZSD rebrand), cheap chinese carbon fibre tripods and etc, but now i am using a gitzo one that is solid but abit large for travelling.
    Trust me, just get a solid good quality one from reputable brands. At first i thought i was getting value for money with the chinese tripods. Sure they are, but they just dont feel as solid, and have quality issues for eg. the hinge lubricant usually leaks out and cause the hinges to be sticky etc. I have not seen such issue with my gitzo, and its really built to take damage. I've brought it to hikes, dropped it on the ground attached to my backpack etc, but it still functions well.
    However recently I have been looking at smaller tripods like the manfrotto befree range or the sirui T1200 series, as my gitzo is simply too large (60+ cm without head) to carry on a bag.
    Still, really, evaluate your usage and go down to shops to see the tripods in person and decide.

bought my first tripod Manfrotto 290XTC.
    Didn't regret going for the carbon fiber instead of aluminium, as i travel to japan the material doesn't get as cold as aluminium (good for handling)

Weight is good enough for stability (plus my Sony A7 has IBIS so that help alot to compensate for micro movements during long exposure)
    Sell : Sony 28MM F2 ----- Manfrotto 804RC2-3WUS (MkII) ----- Lowepro 45 AW II
    Buy : Batis 25MM F2

yes it matters.. however theres not much reason in going for the very very best (e.g. gitzo).

i admit i am one of those offenders who always buy the best at that time (gitzo 1542t traveller + markins q3t), after spending well over 1k+$, i found out that cheaper branded tripods like sirui would probably serve my purpose equally well (abeit the feel is slightly different, i would give it 10-20% difference in build and quality).

i would say go for something that has decent ballhead/tripod leg choice (interchangeable parts), to what your budget can do. carbon fiber from sirui is always a good choice , with the smaller/lighter models in mind (unless you are heading for birding shoots).

i kind of regret buying gitzo (even though it is awesome as hell), but it is really up to personal pref, right now i don't bother on getting / buying new tripod since i already have a good one haha...
    M10|M6 Millenium|50mm f1 e58|35 f1.4 FLE|35mm f2 V1 germany|15mm V f4.5 VIII|50mm Zeiss f2

Blog Entries

It does not hurt to have an overly stable tripod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by DSolZ View Post
    Personally I have a very strong manfotto tripod. I also have a smaller travel size tripod from sirui. On both of this tripod I have done long exposure of up to 5-6 min with them.

Manfotto tripod confirm get long exposure done properly. As for the sirui I also can get sharp long exposure from it. But the caveat for sirui is that if there is wind stronger then breeze it might cause some issue.

But most of the time I still use the smaller sirui tripod because it is just so much lighter to bring around. If wind come from the side or back I will just use my body to block it.

Same here. I too have a bigger and heavier Manfrotto, plus a compact size Sirui. The Sirui see much more use due to its easy portability, but whenever I take out my bigger Manfrotto, it feels so much easier and sturdier to use. The bigger Manfrotto tripod legs is able to plant firmly on the ground everytime, while the smaller Sirui requires a bit more attention to ensure the tripod is properly stable. But still, having a small tripod that I can carry around and use anytime is better than having to handhold any low light or long exposure shots.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Yeah. But depends on photographer

Yes. you wont want ur camera to be blown away by wind. lol
    NikonD800E Nikon 24mm f1.8g;70-200 F2.8 E
    My flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/racingmyheart/

Quote Originally Posted by dennisc View Post
    I admire ladies, aunties, etc who bother to mount tripods on their dlsr+kit to shoot normal stuff in broad daylight... must have stunning pictures.
    LOL...you are hilarious bro!
    Expand your mind or get left behind

Quote Originally Posted by dennisc View Post
    I admire ladies, aunties, etc who bother to mount tripods on their dlsr+kit to shoot normal stuff in broad daylight... must have stunning pictures.
    The tripod is useful when shooting a landscape even in broad daylight. It has a spirit level that the tripod can adjust for the image to be straight. Nowadays with advance photo editing software, people tend to forgot the basic of shooting unlike those ladies and aunties. If you realize how you need to adjust your Easel on the enlarger and enlarge to crop off the white edges losing part of the images in the darkroom you will see how useful it is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12