Thread: Just want to clarify

Default Just want to clarify

Hi pple,

Want to find out something from you ppl. Say, Im taking an event shoot for a concert. Its for orchestra. The stage wasnt that big and all I saw was 2 row of top lighting. And the background was cloth. And near to the cloth at the top, there are blue green and red light (Dim lighting)

I shot the performers performing at that time (Full Orchestra). The front was bright enough due to they are sitting under the light whereas the back row are dull, dark and cant even see the face much. Its not my fault for causing such result, right?

The stage was totally filled up with the players, violin, pianist etc etc... they are literally squeezing to one and other also.

I shown to my client and got said that why the behind row was so dark? Pengz...

Was it really my fault?

Another thing is, same stage, different performance, and they have 2 rows of kids standing at the stage. Again the 2nd row of the kids were not under the light thus the light on the top shine on the face was rather darker then the front. If I pump higher ISO, the first row will be over exposed. If I use flash, same result occur and I might have jeopardise the performers playing their instrument.

Is there something I had done wrong? I asked my frenz as well as he shot it too, same result occur. How can I really explain clearly to my client for such thing happen due to the lighting prob and not the photographer fault?

Cheers

*Sorry that I cant show the photos in here as I am not allowed to do so*

Default Re: Just want to clarify

err.. i dunno how much are you paid, if you are on enuff... i think you can even request them to do lighting control for you, since you already know that there is 2 row of top lighting, y not ask them to channel 1 to the back, and 1 to the front?

anyway, if they can't do a thing about the lights, i think you can't do a thing about anything as well... unless you can find a flash that can bounce to the back row.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

u should have pre-empted it and asked that the lighting be adjusted accordingly to allow for proper exposuren b4 u start shooting ..........make your request known

if they say 'no' and the pics turn out like this, you have covered your backside and nobody can blame u

yo bro, i encountered a sucky lighting situation yesterday so i sorta noe how u feel.

should have informed the lighting guy once u realised it though.

Sounds like a tricky situation . I thinking if putting 2 slave flash on each side to illuminate the back row also, will it work?

Quote Originally Posted by clicknick
    Sounds like a tricky situation . I thinking if putting 2 slave flash on each side to illuminate the back row also, will it work?
    the colours of the slave flash will prob be diff from the stage lights rite...

I had finished the shoot and just realise it when I saw the fotos.

Somemore my client was saying last year the photo was better as back row was clear. When I saw the pic, the back row wasnt much ppl there. And also, the background was wall thus there's reflection bounce too. Sigh.. how can he make such comparison.

Guess now I know what to do abt the lighting the next time if I got such kind of job again. Thanks ppl. So long I know its not my entire fault will do.

Hazekang, yah. Feeling to me is the pic look ok. But its the client that making some comments which i felt uncomfortable because he do not really understand photographing much.

Somemore, he was commenting that why he cant see the kids face! They look small eventually due to the fact of the width. My frenz was taking wide angle, which mean both end side had it covered but the top and bottom had allowance which is inevitable. We using DSLR, what more can he expect. Just wanna faint when he mentioned that.

Quote Originally Posted by hazekang
    It will be diff for sure. Where got time to put flash wor. The movement was too fast. No time to do set up at all. hehe

dun say colors lah... i think can't even illuminate the centre lor, end up 1 black patch in centre... and worse of all... dun even know if the light can bounce anot, theater ceiling normally damn high, and nothing that can bounce light back (no white wall above)

anyway, the photographer will shoot wat the audience see... and the audience won't be able to see the back row, so does the photographer, so problem lies with the light technician... but its duty of the photographer or person in charge to tell the light technicians if such things arise...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

The light was in the centre and the front. If some light gonna pull back to shine at the back of the ppl, aint some part in the centre where the performers were performing will be dark as well? Hmmm....

I was wondering, if the cameraman (video guy) film it, will it be the same result as I do or??? I didnt know how Video Cam works. Someone care to explain?

Thanks

seriously from the way you describe, i was thinking of quite a near distance, now u say like its so far apart. y not ask them to go closer?

anyway, not asking them to shine behind... just ask them to shine 1 at the 1st row, shine another at the 2nd row, if there is a centre black spot, i dun think anybody would see from straight shot. if really cannot take it, add another 1 row of light low...

Put gel to change the colours to fit the lights lor. Aiyah, ignore me, me just a newbie talking co*k la, where got time to anticipate and set up all these, as josho mentioned.

clicknick- lol. its too rush also. everyone is too busy at that time. Wun have time at all thou.

Del- I know what u mean. But its over already. So nothing much which I can do for now but to rem this lesson. Just that since the lightin is like that, I also had no choice. What if they say they do not have time to adjust the lighting? And also, it will spend sometime doing that adjustment and timing is too rush at that time thou.

But as the foto appear like that.... what can I say? When the stage was empty. I can see that the stage was bright and clear. But when the performer were on the stage, its not the same man.