Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photographer needed for event.

Default Re: Photographer needed for event.

just y din i see any flame here?...

/me leaves the room...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by righton
    What kind of stupid excuse is this?

I didnt know Expressions International is so cheapskate!

I know one of the marketing executives at Expressions at MacDonald House and I'm going to call her and find out exactly what on earth is going on here !!!!

This is extremely bad publicity for Expressions International if its true
    Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    hmmm...may be u can even find out if there is any middleman/event organiser/PR agent who charge Expressions $$ for photographer while looking for free labour here...
    Quote Originally Posted by richliow
    yah lor.... the right price must be paid for deserving efforts....

using the convenient excuse of helping another person build his portfolio
    is undoubtably a guise for trying to get free labour.

Expressions should really brush up on its image.
    the beckoning post really can damage Expression's reputation.

Can you imagine Jay Chou saying, "hey you come shoot me for free"?

People will be thinking why Jay Chou, a singer who earn millions, would stoop so low...lor

jus my 2 cents worth =)
    pls read again the first post CAREFULLY before commenting rubbish.
    The event is a media invitation to introduce Expression's new spokeman.
    My friend is covering this event for a new startup magazine called New Breath.

dont fire on and on and on when you dont even read carefully.

The funny thing is that this is a classic example of a blind leading a blind.
    cant believe what i am reading...
    Last edited by osianblue; 17th December 2005 at 02:03 AM.

even if the threadstarter is not Expressions International staff its very likely it is one of the event organizer's staff

This is absolutely terrible!!! If the boss of Expressions Int'l, Ms. Theresa Chew gets to hear of this, her staff or the event organizer better be prepared for the worst!

The company as I know it, strategically positions itself EXTREMELY WELL in an exclusive niche for which it has spent huge amounts of money in its marketing and branding efforts .......... and to risk jepoardy to its carefully cultivated image by pulling an exploitative manouver like this.......... is truly beyond comprehension......... its tantamount to throwing a ball at a carefully constructed stack of cards

I might sound overboard, but Expressions International's competitors could use this to besmirch the quality of the Expressions brand
    joke of the season by mr righteous knight here...

Quote Originally Posted by osianblue

miscommunication always happens when there is a herd mentality. cheers.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Sorry, but I don't see anything in your first post about your friend covering the event for New Breadth too. Guess you must also read your own post carefully to make sure that other people understand your post. If you had explained it, then maybe you can justify your post too, and need not be so high and mighty...

Anyway, I am not interested in free labour to build my portfolio. There is always the hidden cost.

Looking for photographer for photo taking of the media invitation of Expressions International introduction of its new spokesman for New Breath Magazine.

Time : 1030am on 14th Dec 2005.

Photographer will not be paid for the event, but this is a good chance for building up your portfolio.

P/M me for more details if you are interested.

one slot opening only. Deadline by today. Sorry for the short notice.

Thanks!

No need to be sarcastic

Perhaps an email to Expressions asking for clarifications and necessary action would be good.

Looking at the bigger picture (though this has been discussed to death), we should comes up with ideas to protect the interests of budding photographers. It is STILL a service rendered so how can it be FREE? The point about building up portfolio and network yada yada yada is rubbish because once you take on this FREE job and they get wind of it, you'll be labelled a "no-need-money-get-photo-in-cd" photographer. Food for thought.

Perhaps such thread should be moved to a more appropriate forum and the most apt one I could think of is "Garbage & Testing".

so you do admit that you're the villian eh?

Quote Originally Posted by blive
    Sorry, but I don't see anything in your first post about your friend covering the event for New Breadth too. Guess you must also read your own post carefully to make sure that other people understand your post. If you had explained it, then maybe you can justify your post too, and need not be so high and mighty...

Anyway, I am not interested in free labour to build my portfolio. There is always the hidden cost.
    The post was done with hurry. Thats why i asked anyone interested to pm me so that i could provide them with more details.
    Seriously i dont see the point why i need to justify and explain the post. And i am not high and mighty as well.

Mods, kindly close this thread. I see no point in replying.
    Last edited by osianblue; 17th December 2005 at 09:11 AM.

Alright. Let me clarify a few things here. Firstly, the thread starter was looking for a photographer on behalf of a friend who is from New Breath Magazine.

New Breath Magazine was invited as one of the media parties to attend the launch of this Expressions thingy. Plain and simple. In no way was this thread having anything to do with Expressions.

Since New Breath is on a tight budget since it's a new start up, they were offering TFCD assignment. Thus, anyone who wants to build portfolio could take the post. Nothing wrong with that.

Thus, I don't understand how some people can be so blind as to think Expressions is the one looking for a 'free' photographer. Those who think so should STFU first and read all the posts carefully in the first place before going on and on with all the useless CRAP talk, of which, the amount of truth in is practically zero.

hey jeremy and threadstarter..... i have NOT called you names so please watch your mouth

your post is very outright....... NOTHING to read in between the lines... if you are in too much of a hurry to add further details (but apprently not busy enough to mention that there is no pay for photog rather than saying there is extra media pass/invite) ..... then you take the risk of causing misunderstanding

I am still calling my friend at Expressions....... you have nothing to worry about if u have done nothing wrong

AND where on earth do you think you are? THIS is a community for photographers that looks after photographers' interests.

You really have the cheek to come around here to ask for free services!
    Last edited by righton; 17th December 2005 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyftk
    Alright. Let me clarify a few things here. Firstly, the thread starter was looking for a photographer on behalf of a friend who is from New Breath Magazine.

New Breath Magazine was invited as one of the media parties to attend the launch of this Expressions thingy. Plain and simple. In no way was this thread having anything to do with Expressions.

Since New Breath is on a tight budget since it's a new start up, they were offering TFCD assignment. Thus, anyone who wants to build portfolio could take the post. Nothing wrong with that.

Thus, I don't understand how some people can be so blind as to think Expressions is the one looking for a 'free' photographer. Those who think so should STFU first and read all the posts carefully in the first place before going on and on with all the useless CRAP talk, of which, the amount of truth in is practically zero.
    thanks to jeremy for clarifying things out...

hey jeremy and threadstarter..... i have NOT called you names so please watch your mouth

your post is very outright....... NOTHING to read in between the lines

I am still calling my friend at Expressions....... you have nothing to worry about if u have done nothing wrong

AND where on earth do you think you are? THIS is a community for photographers that looks after photographers' interests.

I dont think jeremy and i are calling any pple here names. Just to let some pple know that before u comment anything, pls process what u wanna comment in ur brains.
    I just dont like the point that u seem so high and mighty coz u know someone from Expressions. Who gives a damn even if u noe their CEO.

your post is very outright....... NOTHING to read in between the lines... if you are in too much of a hurry to add further details (but apprently not busy enough to mention that there is no pay for photog rather than saying there is extra media pass/invite) ..... then you take the risk of causing misunderstanding

Did I call you names? I don't think so. Secondly, we have nothing to hide so go ahead and call Expressions. You have a friend there right? Go ahead. Call. What can that person do?

Like I said, call. Expressions can't do anything, even if your friend is Dr Chew. This arrangement is between New Breath and the photographer, so what good is your call going to be. If you so insist then by all means.

Lastly, there are actually some people who need portfolio opps and aren't as lucky as to land high paying jobs as easily. Everyone has their own way of working, so get that into your head please.

And finally, I don't see a need in this nonsense going on, so let's stop here. If you want an all out flaming war, I can only say that you're wasting your time.

Apparently its just a little misunderstanding. Don't aggreviate it any further, mistakes are recorded by multiple parties.

I hope the event did went well; I am also a sucker for all these free-shootings kind of event, theres nothing really bad behind that, sometimes its just doing a little favour back to the society.

i am permanently out of this thread too........ let Expressions decide for themselves

To mods and admins:

The event is already over, and besides, I guess all parties involved in the thread have already made their stand in this matter and aired their views... so perhaps we can have this thread closed?

Rgds

Thanks imagine. Actually, there was nothing to talk about in the first place. Just no idea why someone had to come in here and pick a fight. Oh well. What can I say?

Btw, can the threadstrter close the topic or do we have to wait for the mods/admins?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12