Thread: Question abt VGA cables

Default Question abt VGA cables

hi,

my vga cable wasnt long enough and so i got a slightly longer one at i think 1.5m long to replace my original.

it seems that now my LCD display isnt sharp anymore. it seems that there a grey ring around my text. is this due to the longer VGA cable? its something like using the outer glow effect on the text in Photoshop.

It getting to be kinda disturbing on my eyes man

Thanks...

Default Re: Question abt VGA cables

have u tried replacing to a shorter one? it maybe hard to get it to connect since u need a long calbe in the forst place, but at least u eliminate some theories.

cheers mate
    give me a pen, and i'll give you my signature

you can't really extend the VGA cables in that manner, as the high-frequency analog RGB signals can cause unwanted signal reflections (electrical standing waves) between the video card and the monitor input. this has got something to do with the mismatching of the characteristic impedance of the transmission cable. the longer the VGA cable, the more ghosting edges can be found.

as a result, you'll see that the raster image is no longer tack sharp, and defined edges of the text looks like "ghosting". (you can find examples of such in SLS where they have multiple monitors hooked up via a splitter box and the resulting ghosting image on the monitors)

most monitors have their VGA cables permanently linked and not removable. if it's removable, then it pays to get those better grade of cables to minimise such artifacts.

hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by wainism
    hi,

my vga cable wasnt long enough and so i got a slightly longer one at i think 1.5m long to replace my original.

it seems that now my LCD display isnt sharp anymore. it seems that there a grey ring around my text. is this due to the longer VGA cable? its something like using the outer glow effect on the text in Photoshop.

It getting to be kinda disturbing on my eyes man

Thanks...
    Last edited by user12343; 13th December 2005 at 06:44 PM.

indeed now i m using my original vga cable and all seems fine again.

is there anyway i can "extend" my vga cable?

try to isolate your longer vga cable from the power cables or speakers?

i have 15m vga cables, they worked pretty fine to me.