Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: Bloggers in Singapore

  1. #21

    Default Re: Bloggers in Singapore

    If democracy is not in practice, that will be almost be implying that the elections are rigged and that the masses are not given the right to elect a government of their choice.

    Agree with the principle, but in principle democracy provides the citizen the right to vote for their leader, and indeed they did so. No matter how much restrictions, in practice they are outcome of a democractic process.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Bloggers in Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by Slivester
    If democracy is not in practice, that will be almost be implying that the elections are rigged and that the masses are not given the right to elect a government of their choice.

    Agree with the principle, but in principle democracy provides the citizen the right to vote for their leader, and indeed they did so. No matter how much restrictions, in practice they are outcome of a democractic process.
    You are indeed very powerful

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    West of S'pore
    Posts
    999

    Default Re: Bloggers in Singapore

    Democracy is a state of mind! It exists only in principle.

    and WTF is BEST BLOGGER. BEST FRIEND. BEST FOOD. BEST CLOTHES. BEST BRAINS.
    wtf?



    Douglas

  4. #24

    Default Re: Bloggers in Singapore

    Somehow certain bloggers are acknowledging themselves as masters of "words, photo and photoshopping".

    Then perhaps we should stand aside? What about the graphic designers and web developers, should they too?

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    West of S'pore
    Posts
    999

    Default Re: Bloggers in Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by Slivester
    Somehow certain bloggers are acknowledging themselves as masters of "words, photo and photoshopping".

    Then perhaps we should stand aside? What about the graphic designers and web developers, should they too?
    there should be no 'perhaps'.
    why bother about what bloggers say?


    Douglas

  6. #26

    Default Re: Bloggers in Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by doug3fflux
    there should be no 'perhaps'.
    why bother about what bloggers say?


    Douglas
    Yeah, "perhaps" I was too emotional upon seeing that.

    Why bother? Thanks dude.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Bloggers in Singapore

    I find it vaguely amusing that so much attention is given to a group of people called "bloggers"; the creation of such a distinction in itself is surprising. It's not like people who blog are doing anything special; it's just that the manner in which they air their opinions transcends their voices' carrying power.

    And on the subject of democracy, it may only be a wistful dream for democracy to be extant in it's untainted form. Freedom of choice is always influenced by a myriad of factors. My personal opinion? Our guys aren't doing that bad.

    There needs to be more awareness though, I agree, before Singaporeans (including myself) can fully appreciate our condition. With knowledge and focus would come the tools to discerned opinion-stating, which is what blogging is all about!

  8. #28

    Default Re: Bloggers in Singapore

    To the post which opined blogs here are self centred and do not offer political or social commentary - they do exist. They're just not popular. They're all very well written and well thought out and moderate too.. but you see, the crowd moves with what it wants to see.

    I started blogging 6 years ago, because I had started learning HTML and I wanted to make a site to showcase my writing. Back then there was no blogger.com and no livejournal. Mr Brown's site was still updated by hand. We didn't know what a 'blog' was.

    As such I have no means of understanding what the man in the streets feels about 'blogs', especially after all this media attention. While I am similarly unsure of what blogging awards achieves, I can at least say that in the aftermath of one blogging award, the nominees got together and created www.tomorrow.sg, organized BloggerCon, and are proactive in doing things related to Singapore and towards the blogging community. Anti-*whatever* is not a fair way to judge us either, since there is much diversity amongst bloggers and perhaps it just so happens that cyberspace happens to be a convenient platform to voice an opinion that is not easy to air in real life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •