Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: why no Singaporean Magnum photographer?

Blog Entries

Default Re: why no Singaporean Magnum photographer?

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoDog
    Looking at the site's photographer list, I don't seem to find any asian name. Is asian's work really CMI?
    Please refrain from passing general remarks when you have not looked at the list carefully

Chang Chien-Chi is Taiwanese and renowed for his works like The Chain, The Vietnamese Brides and Migrant Chinese Workers in NYC.
    Rai Raghu is from India.

Asia is very vibrant and diverse. Just Japan alone yields Moriyama, Araki, Sugimoto, and Izu.
    Last edited by sebastiansong; 13th December 2005 at 12:05 PM.

Magnum Membership
    Magnum Photos is a co-operative owned and run by its member photographers. The photographers meet once a year, during the last weekend in June, in New York, Paris or London, to discuss Magnum's affairs. One day at this meeting is set aside for considering and voting on potential new members' portfolios. Successful applicants will be invited to become a 'Nominee Member' of Magnum, a category of membership which presents an opportunity for Magnum and the individual to get to know each other, but where there are no binding commitments on either side.
    In each of the last 5 years, between 0 and 4 new nominees have been selected from among the many portfolios presented. After two years of Nominee membership, photographers then present another portfolio if they wish to apply for 'Associate Membership'. If successful, the photographer then becomes bound by all the rules of the agency, and enjoys all the facilities of its offices and worldwide representation. The only difference between an Associate Member and a full Member is that an Associate Member is not a Director of the Company and does not have voting rights in its corporate decision making. Finally, after another two years, an Associate member wishing to apply for full membership presents a further portfolio of work for consideration by the members. Once elected as a full member, this effectively confers membership of Magnum for life or for as long as the photographer chooses. No member photographer of Magnum has ever been asked to leave.

I am lead to belive that membership serves it's goal as avenue for $ making opportunity.

for those making a living with their camera.

there is no need to be a member of this club or that society, if all you want to is to take photos and share / show it with your friends .

Blog Entries

that is because our papa and mama says that it is not a proper job
    and you must study and be an engineer/doctor/lawyer ... .. blah blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by sebastiansong
    Please refrain from passing general remarks when you have not looked at the list carefully

Chang Chien-Chi is Taiwanese and renowed for his works like The Chain, The Vietnamese Brides and Migrant Chinese Workers in NYC.
    Rai Raghu is from India.

Asia is very vibrant and diverse. Just Japan alone yields Moriyama, Araki, Sugimoto, and Izu.
    Ok, I have seen the name now... hmm... why I missed that ...

And yes, I have seen a lot of wonderful photograph taken by Asian. And that is why I am posting it as a question.

Quote Originally Posted by sebastiansong

Rai Raghu is from India.

I agree with sebastian that asia is wide and vibrant. We have two more in the list,

Abas - From Iran
    Kubota Hiroji - From Japan

It is a pity that people dont seem to consider, the Indian Subcontinent, Middle East, and West Asia etc as part of Asia. Having said that it is certain that Asia on the whole is slightly under represented.

What it means to us -> we have the oppurtunity and let us see if one of our own CS's make it into the Magnum.

is there a need to be in magnum?

is there a need to be a magnum photographer for many office working folks who bought some expensive dslr and started shooting wedding and regard themselves as "pro"?

i'm just enjoying my hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by rncw
    is there a need to be a magnum photographer for many office working folks who bought some expensive dslr and started shooting wedding and regard themselves as "pro"?

Quote Originally Posted by dslang
    If I was to give an honest answer, it'd be because

1. Singaporeans, in general, seem to have their minds in a box
    2. Singaporeans live in a very trend-following culture
    3. Singaporean photographers tend to over-obsess on the technicalities of something.

Please dont flame me for making over-generlizations, but just hear me out.

1. If someone in Singapore's incredibly talented, they're stolen away before being given the chance to shine (look at our swimmers and musicians). The problem is that because Singapore is more of a conformist culture where life revolves around a lot of obeying and following "that's just the way it is" rules, eccentrics and geniuses are either surpressed by society, or forced to move away. Every genius is crazy in his/her own way, and only when this side of the person is allowed to shine will the genius show through.

2. Look at the number of IR photography threads. Enough said really.

3. SG photographers, I know I'm over-generalizing but this is from my experience, spend far too much time discussing their equipment and which lens produces the least distortion and whatnot. What does it matter? Some of the best photographers in the world use simple point and shoot cameras. Even then, when you find the rare chance that a SG photog would follow in these foot steps and use a point and shoot, he/she would do it and obsess over how the photos are taken, walking around "trying to convey a sense of simplicity in the photographs" and having an over-zealeous concept behind the photography. The simple fact is these legends who shoot with point and shoots do so because they find manual cameras incredibly fiddly and complicated. Simple reasons, love the subject you shoot, and use whatever method allows you to achieve the shots you want the best.

I especially agree with point #3.

Look at the forums, lol. I'm also guilty as charged some times.

You can also see forum threads where someone would ask, "what camera should I buy" and somehow, there will be answers telling this poor chap to get a dSLR... for whatever reasons. It's like, you get a dSLR or dont expect good photos at all kinda mentality.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12