Thread: How to prevent downloads on pbase?

Default How to prevent downloads on pbase?

How to prevent downloads on pbase? If cannot avoid, is there another website which can prevent copying? Thank you.

You can't prevent it.

Hiding your folder from the public is one good deterrant as casual browsers will not be able to find your images easily.

Default Re: How to prevent downloads on pbase?

Originally posted by Gunjack
    How to prevent downloads on pbase? If cannot avoid, is there another website which can prevent copying? Thank you.
    Noway on pbase unless u have your own website with javascripts or java security embedded

can see means can save... sue MS+IE
    unless u set it to a private viewing gallery...
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Default Re: Re: How to prevent downloads on pbase?

Originally posted by teowws

Noway on pbase unless u have your own website with javascripts or java security embedded
    That won't work either. I could simply go into 'view page info' in Mozilla, select the 'Media' tab, find the image and save...

Think about it - it is impossible to stop. The image has to download to be displayed. You can do all sort of tricks to stop the image being displayed, but in the end, it has been downloaded and the client can save it.

The only thing you can do is only but lower quality, 'signed' or captioned images on the WWW.
    Then at least the higher quality orginal doesn't get stolen.

Putting photos on the WWW is a form of publishing. Complete with theft risks.

Default Re: Re: Re: How to prevent downloads on pbase?

Originally posted by matthew

That won't work either. I could simply go into 'view page info' in Mozilla, select the 'Media' tab, find the image and save...

Think about it - it is impossible to stop. The image has to download to be displayed. You can do all sort of tricks to stop the image being displayed, but in the end, it has been downloaded and the client can save it.

The only thing you can do is only but lower quality, 'signed' or captioned images on the WWW.
    Then at least the higher quality orginal doesn't get stolen.

Putting photos on the WWW is a form of publishing. Complete with theft risks.
    How about watermarking it with the authors details , i mean like those floating watermark on the pics.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: How to prevent downloads on pbase?

Originally posted by teowws

How about watermarking it with the authors details , i mean like those floating watermark on the pics.
    They can always be cropped or photoshopped out, unless it's one really huge one plastered all over the photo.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to prevent downloads on pbase?

Originally posted by YSLee

They can always be cropped or photoshopped out, unless it's one really huge one plastered all over the photo.
    But they lose something (image quality due to recompression, touchup 'artifacts', etc) so there is some gain.

Also digital watermarking as well - apparently some of them can survive being opened in photoshop, having the image edited and saved again...
    The 'watermarks' do affect the image, commonly they are stored in the 'noise' in the image, so a watermarked image doesn't have the colour range it my have orginally had.

Trevor_Tan
    Guests

is it possible to cut the picture to 4 sections but display as a single picture? Cos I see some website they have 1 big picture break into few smaller pieces and join back using Table or something like that. But their aim is not to let user thought that the system have hang while loading this big picture as small blocks of it will be shown when it is loaded.
    But if the block is 6 to 9 pieces even the person can find all of it he will also have a hard time putting it back together.
    Let me see if I can find an example, cos now got boardband and flash thingy this method is no longer used. Will updat if I can find one website that still use it

Just found it (http://www.nikon.com), the world map is join by a few blocks
    Last edited by Trevor_Tan; 5th November 2002 at 11:41 PM.