Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 478910 LastLast

Thread: Singapore buys 12 F-15SG fighter jets

Default Re: Singapore buys 12 F-15SG fighter jets

Quote Originally Posted by philliptan
    Our F-5s are already very powerful after the upgrade 2 years ago. Some of the upgrades are sooo classified even some of the technicians are not allowed to know.
    F-5 are slowly being retired.

There used to be reasons to why the government buy things lah. I dont know much about aircraft, but i will prefer to ride to war in a "aluminium case" armed with a 99cm rifle in my hand than ride in a new case made from "composite" armour with a plastic rifle slinged to my neck..............

Ok, off the track already, but i think leh, better proven equipment are slightly "better"

Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz
    We're in the same boat as the Swedish,Germans,Koreans,Israelis,Swiss and a few more places..

once a thai colleague told me, their division went for some team-building seminar which included paintball. of all the people taking part, you can straightaway tell the Singaporeans and Taiwanese, they're the ones who know how to take cover properly hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz
    The nut crack part was hilarious.I'd agree, it's those fellas who have heard gunfire and learnt how to stay low and take cover, then plan and react, have the highest chance of being effective in a war zone.

Same goes for reporters and aid workers in war-torn areas, it's better if you had prior military training.
    Maybe its too much Hollywood and silly screaming shows that got to me. But I guess the general reaction of ppl who had never heard artillery boom, grenades exploding or gunfire would be to cover their ears (natural instinct), or to just drop everything and run.

Well, at least that's what almost happened to me when I threw my first grenade & handled blanks for the first time. Nearly froze on the spot. I wasn't garang enuff, and got luffed at for having 'no balls'.

But got used to the boom and bang gradually. I guess its just a matter of getting used to it where the training gets to u instead of the natural 'flee or fight' thing.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by AEC
    F-15 Loses wing in mid-air collision - Lands safely by Israeli Air Force pilot.

http://www.strangemilitary.com/content/item/110099.html
    BUY!!! BUY!!! BUY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren_Hao
    There used to be reasons to why the government buy things lah. I dont know much about aircraft, but i will prefer to ride to war in a "aluminium case" armed with a 99cm rifle in my hand than ride in a new case made from "composite" armour with a plastic rifle slinged to my neck..............

Ok, off the track already, but i think leh, better proven equipment are slightly "better"

you wouldn't say that when you know that the aluminum can vapourise and cook you.

Yes indeedo our f-5s are powerful..but the airframe hrs are getting quite high...so they are nxt in line for retirement... Then...Classified stuff are more towards the electronics and the avonics...ST Aero & RSAF dun really hav much power to do major changes to airframe. So F-5 sad to say...Hav to go once the hrs r hitting.. Yupz for a fact..One squad of RF-5 hav just been mothed balled...So wat do u think..

Indeed...Two different systems is very hard to manage...Twice the amount of Problem...Twice the amount of Equipment and Logistics..

For a fact....GPU and APU are not compatiable thru out all the airplanes that Singapore have...

Y the so big wo ha...over this...this is old news...
    infact when singapore announced it..in sept.. it is just a quiet news...
    Be rest assured....Singapore dun buy the equipments just becos us dollars are cheaper now.. They hav done the research..and the test flight...

Yes..i agree..Eurofighter is more advance...but that will be a extra system... even the measuring units are different...so to prevent more Human Factor Problems in future....they keep the US system... wat so bad abt f-15 mans...

Remember...it is used as a deterance... to keep our skies safe...so that u all can slp at night safely.....
    when we senior tech in the airforce hav to maintain them..to keep them in the air...

Rest well...
    Do let this matter rest..no point...

Wah! More military siaos!!

No need to talk abt F-15s.... Our F-5s are already very powerful after the upgrade 2 years ago. Some of the upgrades are sooo classified even some of the technicians are not allowed to know. (MSD is probably watching so I'm not saying anything)

The RMAF F-18s are not flying much because they cost too much to operate. The country north of border want to show off but the operational/maintenance costs is really very high. It was a bad idea from the beginning. To have Russian and American hardware in a single air force is VERY costly. They have to maintain two different logistics systems instead of one... Eg, you need to get two types of missiles/ordance/equipment because they're not compatible with each other.

Singapore is smart. They buy American fighters... so AMRAAMs/AIMs/Sparrows can be used across the entire range of F-15/F-16/F-5s. GPU/ASUs (Ground Power Units/Air Start Units) are all compatible. No problems there. Smart? You bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren_Hao

composite armour can protect u better than aluminium.... when u r of a older generation..u will say that steel helmets are better....then the present kelvar helmets we r using now... Steel helmets can be used to cook soup in it... haha..
    it is goes the same way for armour doh...
    Be rest assured... SAF will not upgrade the technology they are using usless the newer prototype equipements outperform the present in more than 150%. Tat is for the safety of our sons... and others sons...and even my own son in future... So i have full trust in SAF in the technology they use and the 3G equipment.
    Yes the SAR21 is not totally perfect...no rifle is totally perfect... but it is better than running in the urban which is Singapore with a long rifle and reducing ur manuvourability right... unless singapore gives every soldier a carbine then i really nothing to say larh..
    haha.

Quote Originally Posted by p4610yz
    Yes the SAR21 is not totally perfect...no rifle is totally perfect... but it is better than running in the urban which is Singapore with a long rifle and reducing ur manuvourability right... unless singapore gives every soldier a carbine then i really nothing to say larh..
    haha.

you bet, I use to have a lot of problem getting in and out of the M113 with the M16, until they finally gave vehicle commanders carbines.
    Last edited by hwchoy; 13th December 2005 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Maybe its too much Hollywood and silly screaming shows that got to me. But I guess the general reaction of ppl who had never heard artillery boom, grenades exploding or gunfire would be to cover their ears (natural instinct), or to just drop everything and run.

Well, at least that's what almost happened to me when I threw my first grenade & handled blanks for the first time. Nearly froze on the spot. I wasn't garang enuff, and got luffed at for having 'no balls'.

But got used to the boom and bang gradually. I guess its just a matter of getting used to it where the training gets to u instead of the natural 'flee or fight' thing.

Not really

When I went for my 1st reservist, during one exercise, we were having lunch when we got contacted by "enemy" my mate immediate took his M16 and fire, Guess what? His rifle was less than a feet away from me.

I felt like in the movie Saving Private Ryan.... it was silent...The shots left me "deaf" for about 5 minutes. I do not need to cover my ears after that. I just react to the situation purely by reading hand gestures.

Scoll to the bottom:

In September, Boeing beat out French plane maker Dassault
    for the deal, valued at more than $1 billion. - CNA /ct

This note wasn't there for nothing.

think..
    Objection !!!

now we had better air capablities.. althought i know these are better more for "show" rather then action...

The RF-5s were sold because the technology was out-dated. Not because of the airframe hours. Each RF has clocked around 3,000-3,500 hrs when the rest of the F-5s were into the 4,000plus hours. Yet they were sold first. That's because we were still using 1960s film technology when the rest of the world is now in the digital stage. A simple pod on the F-16 can do better than the bulky cameras on the plane. It's also very expensive to develop those large format films. The whole world is abandoning film (except for some traditionalists) and even the Air Force is following suit.

Coincidentally, I'm a reservist for the RF-5 squadron (141SQN) but after the RF-5s are sold, the squadron will be disbanded on Mar 31, 2006. Wonder where I'll go then. Really sad, cos there are only 28 RF-5s in the whole world. Being a qualified DCC for the RF-5 is a rare thing. LOL. Oooo... I feel so special...

Quote Originally Posted by evq
    F-5 are slowly being retired.
    The F-5s have another 10-15 years in the force, so they are not being retired. After upgrading the entire fleet 2 years ago, I don't think they're gonna retire them so soon especially since the upgrade was to extend their service life. Believe me, some of the classified upgrades are very advanced technology and it will be a waste of money to retire them so soon after.
    Last edited by philliptan; 14th December 2005 at 08:30 AM.
    The Art of Flying - Aviation Art Prints for sale
    http://TheArtofFlying.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    once a thai colleague told me, their division went for some team-building seminar which included paintball. of all the people taking part, you can straightaway tell the Singaporeans and Taiwanese, they're the ones who know how to take cover properly hahaha.
    ha ha.. the Taiwanese sure can fly..

crashed 3 of the mirage 2000-5 already..

The RF-5s were sold because the technology was out-dated. Not because of the airframe hours. Each RF has clocked around 3,000-3,500 hrs when the rest of the F-5s were into the 4,000plus hours. Yet they were sold first. That's because we were still using 1960s film technology when the rest of the world is now in the digital stage. A simple pod on the F-16 can do better than the bulky cameras on the plane. It's also very expensive to develop those large format films. The whole world is abandoning film (except for some traditionalists) and even the Air Force is following suit.

Coincidentally, I'm a reservist for the RF-5 squadron (141SQN) but after the RF-5s are sold, the squadron will be disbanded on Mar 31, 2006. Wonder where I'll go then. Really sad, cos there are only 28 RF-5s in the whole world. Being a qualified DCC for the RF-5 is a rare thing. LOL. Oooo... I feel so special...

The F-5s have another 10-15 years in the force, so they are not being retired. After upgrading the entire fleet 2 years ago, I don't think they're gonna retire them so soon especially since the upgrade was to extend their service life. Believe me, some of the classified upgrades are very advanced technology and it will be a waste of money to retire them so soon after.
    just being curious....why did the RSAF actually choose the F-5s in the first place? (not saying that its nt gd...just askin)

Quote Originally Posted by JediForce4ever
    just being curious....why did the RSAF actually choose the F-5s in the first place? (not saying that its nt gd...just askin)
    Cheap and good in air to air combat. Limited load capabilities. "Combat proven" in Vietnam.

Quote Originally Posted by Lensman
    I am surprised that our neighbour in the immediate north of Singapore, did not make noise about "sensitivity" or "projection of military powers" like when we had our submarine and E2C....

BTW, I tot they have the F18s. Never see them fly anyway leh.. or perhaps I did not tune to their national day parade.
    That's coz they got a few brand new subs and also Sukhoi SU-30 long range fighters up their sleeves too...

Quote Originally Posted by Lensman
    I am surprised that our neighbour in the immediate north of Singapore, did not make noise about "sensitivity" or "projection of military powers" like when we had our submarine and E2C....

BTW, I tot they have the F18s. Never see them fly anyway leh.. or perhaps I did not tune to their national day parade.
    They cannot make noise because the RMAF is in the midst of procuring 4 units Saab ERIEYE AEW&C (Aircraft Early Warning & Control) and M-17 Gunners Helicopters.

Other orders include 18 units Flanker (Su-30MKM) and 18 units F/A-18E/F Super Hornet Jet Fighters. However, the Super Hornets deal has yet to be confirmed.

The RMAF has not yet decided whether to choose 8 to 10 units of Rooivalk helicopters or Germany's Tiger Heli for it's combat helicopters.

The RMAF inventory has the Eagle 150 ARV, which is the first UAV to enter the Malaysian Air Force.

Major Orders for the Royal Malaysian Navy include 3 submarines worth about US$972 million with French and Spanish Shipyards. The order includes 1 Ex-French navy Agosta 70 Submarine for initial training and 2 new SSK Scorpene submarines to enter service in 2007 and 2009 respectively. These are the first submarines to enter Malaysian service and a new naval base is being built to house the submarines at Teluk Sepanggar in the east Malaysian state of Sabah in Borneo.

Today Malaysia has one of the most ambitious defence procurement plans in South East Asia in their modernization and expansion plan.

Quote Originally Posted by AEC
    Other orders include 18 units Flanker (Su-30MKM) and 18 units F/A-18E/F Super Hornet Jet Fighters. However, the Super Hornets deal has yet to be confirmed.
    I tot they already took delivery of the F/A-18?
    And 2 of which crashed. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by evq
    I tot they already took delivery of the F/A-18?
    And 2 of which crashed. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    The F/A-18C/D Hornet was selected in 1993 to act as a dedicated attack aircraft, complementing the Mig-29N Fulcrums which would concentrate on the Air to Air role. Eight aircrafts were ordered, with deliveries commencing in March 1997.

However, the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet is about 25% larger than its predecessor, i.e. the F/A-18C/D Hornet. It is likely that Boeing will take the F/A-18D Hornet back as a part exchange for the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet.

The F/A-18E/F Super Hornet can be equipped with the finest weapon systems like the AIM-120 AMRAAM, Harpoon, SLAM,(JDAM) and joint stand-off weapon (JSOW).
    Last edited by AEC; 14th December 2005 at 04:49 PM.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 478910 LastLast