Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3678910 LastLast

Thread: Singapore buys 12 F-15SG fighter jets

Default Re: Singapore buys 12 F-15SG fighter jets

Quote Originally Posted by evq
    I think only China & India can do that now. They've the manpower.
    We have oso wad.... 4 million of us. :

Now all it takes is a central figurehead powerful enuff to inspire every single mothers son (and daughter) in us to bring us up to the level where we can have 4 million soldiers, 4 million potential kamikaze warriors....
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn

Now all it takes is a central figurehead powerful enuff to inspire every single mothers son (and daughter) in us to bring us up to the level where we can have 4 million soldiers, 4 million potential kamikaze warriors....
    China has.. err what... 1.3 Billion in population
    During WWII, the Jap soldiers fired till their machine guns' barrels heat up & bent, the chinese were still charging at them with Parang! This is called 'Ren(2) Hai(3) Zhen(4) Shu(4)' , English translation 'Human Sea War Tactic' Hahahhah
    Last edited by evq; 13th December 2005 at 05:11 PM.

Sounds more like potential suicide bombers...

Wah! More military siaos!!

No need to talk abt F-15s.... Our F-5s are already very powerful after the upgrade 2 years ago. Some of the upgrades are sooo classified even some of the technicians are not allowed to know. (MSD is probably watching so I'm not saying anything)

The RMAF F-18s are not flying much because they cost too much to operate. The country north of border want to show off but the operational/maintenance costs is really very high. It was a bad idea from the beginning. To have Russian and American hardware in a single air force is VERY costly. They have to maintain two different logistics systems instead of one... Eg, you need to get two types of missiles/ordance/equipment because they're not compatible with each other.

Singapore is smart. They buy American fighters... so AMRAAMs/AIMs/Sparrows can be used across the entire range of F-15/F-16/F-5s. GPU/ASUs (Ground Power Units/Air Start Units) are all compatible. No problems there. Smart? You bet.
    The Art of Flying - Aviation Art Prints for sale
    http://TheArtofFlying.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by philliptan

No need to talk abt F-15s.... Our F-5s are already very powerful after the upgrade 2 years ago. Some of the upgrades are sooo classified even some of the technicians are not allowed to know. (MSD is probably watching so I'm not saying anything)

The RMAF F-18s are not flying much because they cost too much to operate. The country north of border want to show off but the operational/maintenance costs is really very high. It was a bad idea from the beginning. To have Russian and American hardware in a single air force is VERY costly. They have to maintain two different logistics systems instead of one... Eg, you need to get two types of missiles/ordance/equipment because they're not compatible with each other.

Singapore is smart. They buy American fighters... so AMRAAMs/AIMs/Sparrows can be used across the entire range of F-15/F-16/F-5s. GPU/ASUs (Ground Power Units/Air Start Units) are all compatible. No problems there. Smart? You bet.
    Finally..the pro says something..

Eh, I not pro lah!
    The Art of Flying - Aviation Art Prints for sale
    http://TheArtofFlying.wordpress.com/

Eh, I not pro lah!

well... if the US suddenly puts the weapon embargo, then how ? Take a look at the other neighbour.. their F-16s are mostly grounded because of the embargo.. so they bought Su 27 ..

Quote Originally Posted by evq
    Must Thanks to that Nation that transferred this technology to RSAF.

$$ and friendship

Here's my view on the purchase of the F-15SG.

Why did we choose it?

- It's combat proven (Despite 3 combat losses in it's history - 2 Operation Desert Storm / 1 Operation Iraqi Freedom)

- APG-63(V)3 radar as mentioned earlier

- Old airframe design but structurlly different as more composites are used hence it's stronger than the A/B/C/D models. The caption below highlights the strength of the airframe design.

On May 1, 1983 during an Israeli Air Force training dogfight, an F-15D collided with an A-4 Skyhawk. The right wing of the Eagle was torn off roughly two feet (0.6 m) from the body. The pilot disobeyed his instructor's command to eject and managed to land the crippled aircraft successfully. The aircraft was able to land because the large horizontal surface area of the tail and the amount of lift generated by the engine intake and body.
    - Combat Endurance - ie. CAP/CAS roles - It can loiter much longer than the F-16 with the larger fuel load being carried (It's useful as less planes need to be committed for a particular mission such as ground support - 1 flight of F-15s vs 2 flights of F-16s)

- Combat load - 1 flight of F-15s packs a bigger punch than 1 flight of F-16s. You need 2 flights of F-16s to pack a similar punch.

- Engines - uses the same engines as our Blk 52 F-16s

- Weak Dollar - We are getting a very good deal for 12 F-15SGs due to the weak dollar

- Weapons - Our AIM-120C AMRAAMs can be put into good use (Or are we having the B model?)

Quote Originally Posted by Klose
    Here's my view on the purchase of the F-15SG.

Why did we choose it?

- It's combat proven (Despite 3 combat losses in it's history - 2 Operation Desert Storm / 1 Operation Iraqi Freedom)

- APG-63(V)3 radar as mentioned earlier

- Old airframe design but structurlly different as more composites are used hence it's stronger than the A/B/C/D models. The caption below highlights the strength of the airframe design.

- Combat Endurance - ie. CAP/CAS roles - It can loiter much longer than the F-16 with the larger fuel load being carried (It's useful as less planes need to be committed for a particular mission such as ground support - 1 flight of F-15s vs 2 flights of F-16s)

- Combat load - 1 flight of F-15s packs a bigger punch than 1 flight of F-16s. You need 2 flights of F-16s to pack a similar punch.

- Engines - uses the same engines as our Blk 52 F-16s

- Weak Dollar - We are getting a very good deal for 12 F-15SGs due to the weak dollar

- Weapons - Our AIM-120C AMRAAMs can be put into good use (Or are we having the B model?)

AIM-120C5 I'd gather.C7s are on trial now.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by SnapSnap
    Sounds more like potential suicide bombers...
    Well, we have 4 million population to spare, over 1/4 million strong Land, Sea & Air based forces.

If u wanna include those NPCC & NCC chaps, we're prolly looking at like 1 million of us know how to operate small arms & assault rifles like S&W, M16s or SAR21.

I have that notion and belief that if u throw a pure-blooded Singaporean male who had been thru NSF into a rough environment like Iraq and if his car comes under attack, he'll know what to do (provided he survives the opening attack) instantly the moment he lays his hands on an enemy AK47 or M16.

Compared to other countries without conscription, pure-blooded Singaporeans are prolly luckier where rough environments are concerned.

Well, we have 4 million population to spare, over 1/4 million strong Land, Sea & Air based forces.

If u wanna include those NPCC & NCC chaps, we're prolly looking at like 1 million of us know how to operate small arms & assault rifles like S&W, M16s or SAR21.

I have that notion and belief that if u throw a pure-blooded Singaporean male who had been thru NSF into a rough environment like Iraq and if his car comes under attack, he'll know what to do (provided he survives the opening attack) instantly the moment he lays his hands on an enemy AK47 or M16.

Compared to other countries without conscription, pure-blooded Singaporeans are prolly luckier where rough environments are concerned.
    i m a bobo with m16 marksman with sar 21

Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz
    AIM-120C5 I'd gather.C7s are on trial now.
    neat. remember using them playing janes USAF

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    $$ and friendship
    I'd say $$$ & interest.

Either way, both parties benefit. Such is the way of the world. There is no pure altruism.

We're in the same boat as the Swedish,Germans,Koreans,Israelis,Swiss and a few more places..
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Something like N vs C?

It'll cost u more if u maintain 2 or more systems, compared to maintaining a single system.

Besides hardware upgrades, I believe its piloting skill.

Since I'm not qualified to be a fighter pilot like my friend, I used to pop over to his house frequently when I was young for computer games. Our favourite used to be Janes USAF Combat Flight Sim and later we changed to Fighters Anthology.

Guess wad? I trashed his butt using just Harrier and AIM-9 compared to his F16 with AMRAAM or MiG27 with AA9 Atolls. And a skilled helicopter pilot can take down a fighter plane as well.

Hardware complements the skill. The skill plays a decisive role. Its like landing a 1DsMkII onto the hands of a newbie who shoots in pure green box mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Klose
    i m a bobo with m16 marksman with sar 21
    Just spray, sure hit.

But if u aim whilst spraying, double the effectiveness, double the kill.

I used to sniff at the SAR21 for its toy-like design until my last in-camp. It became my favourite weapon. But since its not made for lefty-shooters like me, I still hold onto a tinge of dislike. Have to transfer frm left hand hold to right hand shoot. Plus I'm hopelessly short-sighted on my right eye.

Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz
    We're in the same boat as the Swedish,Germans,Koreans,Israelis,Swiss and a few more places..
    Countries with conscription would have their male citizens able to handle firearms crisis anywhere.

At least thru training, we know what to do when we hear gunfire instead of running & screaming like a nut crack....

Countries with conscription would have their male citizens able to handle firearms crisis anywhere.

At least thru training, we know what to do when we hear gunfire instead of running & screaming like a nut crack....
    The nut crack part was hilarious.I'd agree, it's those fellas who have heard gunfire and learnt how to stay low and take cover, then plan and react, have the highest chance of being effective in a war zone.

Same goes for reporters and aid workers in war-torn areas, it's better if you had prior military training.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3678910 LastLast