Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 58910

Thread: Singapore buys 12 F-15SG fighter jets

Default Re: Singapore buys 12 F-15SG fighter jets

Quote Originally Posted by evq
    I tot they already took delivery of the F/A-18?
    And 2 of which crashed. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Yep..but its the F/A-18D

Quote Originally Posted by JediForce4ever
    Yep..but its the F/A-18D
    oic, thanks.

now what I'm really waiting for is the F-35 to come to S'pore....its gonna be one hell of an aircraft....

now what I'm really waiting for is the F-35 to come to S'pore....its gonna be one hell of an aircraft....
    That'll likely be 2020? Walao dunno still around to see or not.

Quote Originally Posted by AEC
    They cannot make noise because the RMAF is in the midst of procuring 4 units Saab ERIEYE AEW&C (Aircraft Early Warning & Control) and M-17 Gunners Helicopters.

Other orders include 18 units Flanker (Su-30MKM) and 18 units F/A-18E/F Super Hornet Jet Fighters. However, the Super Hornets deal has yet to be confirmed.

The RMAF has not yet decided whether to choose 8 to 10 units of Rooivalk helicopters or Germany's Tiger Heli for it's combat helicopters.

The RMAF inventory has the Eagle 150 ARV, which is the first UAV to enter the Malaysian Air Force.

Major Orders for the Royal Malaysian Navy include 3 submarines worth about US$972 million with French and Spanish Shipyards. The order includes 1 Ex-French navy Agosta 70 Submarine for initial training and 2 new SSK Scorpene submarines to enter service in 2007 and 2009 respectively. These are the first submarines to enter Malaysian service and a new naval base is being built to house the submarines at Teluk Sepanggar in the east Malaysian state of Sabah in Borneo.

Today Malaysia has one of the most ambitious defence procurement plans in South East Asia in their modernization and expansion plan.
    Not to mention one of the most modern.

The Su-30s are being westernised to make up for compatibility with its other mostly western systems. Still, training and ordnance also play an important part.

The F-35 Joint Strike Fighter has three versions, i.e. F-35A, F-35B & F-35C
    First test flight will be conducted next year.
    Expected in-service date will be 2008 through 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    Not to mention one of the most modern.

The Su-30s are being westernised to make up for compatibility with its other mostly western systems. Still, training and ordnance also play an important part.
    In 1995, 17 Mig-29N Fulcrums, derived from the Mig-29S were delivered along with two Mig-29NUB trainers. Spare parts are not readily available, therefore serviceability has been a major problems with the Mig-29N Fulcrums and it has been reported that at one time, only a maximum of seven of the surviving 17 Mig-29 Fulcrums were airworthy. The Malaysian Mig-29N Fulcrums have been through Phase one of their upgrade programme, which involves the installation of an in-flight refuelling capability.

March 1999 saw Phase two got underway, giving the Mig-29N Fulcrums an upgraded fire-control radar in the shape of the N-019ME Topaz which can track-while-scan up to four targets and engage the two most threatening ones. The Mig-29N Fulcrum armament is also being upgraded by modifying the underwing hard points to accommodate the launch pylon for the R-77 (AA-12 Adder) BVR Missile. Theoretically these upgraded aircraft pose a significant threat and RAAF pilots have been unpleasantly surprised by the Mig-29N Fulcrums capabilities in Air-Air exercises. The Russian Aircraft Corporation (RAC), will continue to upgrade the MiG-29N Fulcrums.

The Flanker or Su-30MKM is equipped with Russian and European avionics. Also included will be a Russian phased array radar, TVC system and Canards. Weapons will include the latest Russian Missiles AA-11 and AA-12 missiles and the KH-31.
    Last edited by AEC; 14th December 2005 at 05:56 PM.

The F-35 Joint Strike Fighter has three versions, i.e. F-35A, F-35B & F-35C
    First test flight will be conducted next year.
    Expected in-service date will be 2008 through 2011.
    Do you think the F-35 is a bad design? The 3rd engine (lift engine) is a dead weight in normal flight. Its the same design as a Yak-38. The tri-engine design was not adopted by the Harrier becoz of this reason. Its simply not efficient to lug around a 3rd engine just for VTOL. It also can't do VIFFing. Makes me wonder why the F-35 went back to the tri-engine design. Was it just so that they do not copy the Harrier design?

Do you think the F-35 is a bad design? The 3rd engine (lift engine) is a dead weight in normal flight. Its the same design as a Yak-38. The tri-engine design was not adopted by the Harrier becoz of this reason. Its simply not efficient to lug around a 3rd engine just for VTOL. It also can't do VIFFing. Makes me wonder why the F-35 went back to the tri-engine design. Was it just so that they do not copy the Harrier design?
    The three versions of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) are designed to replace different aircrafts.

The F-35A version is a conventional takeoff and landing airplane to replace the F-16 Falcon, A-10 Thunderbolt II and F-111 Aardvark. It will partner with the F-22 Raptor air superiority fighter and the USN's F/A-18E/F Super Hornet as well as Europe's Eurofighter.

The US Marine Corps, UK Royal Navy and UK Royal Air Force want a short takeoff and vertical landing aircraft, dubbed the F-35B to replace their Sea Harrier, Harrier GR7/GR9, AV-8B Harrier jets, F/A-18 Hornets and GR 7 Tornado fighters.

The US Navy's F-35C version is a carrier-based strike fighter to complement the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet. It will replace earlier versions of the F/A-18 as well as the A-6 Intruder.
    Last edited by AEC; 14th December 2005 at 06:59 PM.

So I take it that RSAF will be getting the 'A' version?

The three versions of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) are designed to replace different aircrafts.

The F-35A version is a conventional takeoff and landing airplane to replace the F-16 Falcon, A-10 Thunderbolt II and F-111 Aardvark. It will partner with the F-22 Raptor air superiority fighter and the USN's F/A-18E/F Super Hornet as well as Europe's Eurofighter.

The US Marine Corps, UK Royal Navy and UK Royal Air Force want a short takeoff and vertical landing aircraft, dubbed the F-35B to replace their Sea Harrier, Harrier GR7/GR9, AV-8B Harrier jets, F/A-18 Hornets and GR 7 Tornado fighters.

The US Navy's F-35C version is a carrier-based strike fighter to complement the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet. It will replace earlier versions of the F/A-18 as well as the A-6 Intruder.
    Yes, precisely. The B version is the one with 3 (correction 2) engines. ie taking up space for fuel and avionics. Its a dead weight during operations and only used for VTOL. The Harrier can rotate its nozzles in slow flight to do vectoring in forward flight (VIFF), which allows it to do some unconventional moves to get it into a good firing position.

Edit: OOps... the F-35 has only one engine for thrust/lift and another for lift. ie. 2 engines in hte B version.
    Last edited by Zplus; 14th December 2005 at 07:08 PM.

Yes, precisely. The B version is the one with 3 (correction 2) engines. ie taking up space for fuel and avionics. Its a dead weight during operations and only used for VTOL. The Harrier can rotate its nozzles in slow flight to do vectoring in forward flight (VIFF), which allows it to do some unconventional moves to get it into a good firing position.

Edit: OOps... the F-35 has only one engine for thrust/lift and another for lift. ie. 2 engines in hte B version.
    The USAF want further changes to constitute a new variant, i.e. F-35D. Changes in the propulsion system to increase emphasis on Short Take-Off and Landing (STOL) capability over that of Vertical Take-Off and Landing (VTOL), a larger wing to allow more fuel, an interior cannon (as opposed to the USMC external gun pod) or changes to the in-flight refuelling system. However, due to opposition from people involved with the program and the associated cost of developing a fourth variant, the USAF version would be essentially identical to the F-35B specification.

I still believe that our next move is to get CAS for our heliborne strike forces.

B version anyone?Especially if the A is cancelled..
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

I still dont think RSAF wants VTOL....coz if they wanted it..why wait until now...

Did any one of u gone to watch this?? any reviews?
    http://www.science.edu.sg/ssc/otmovi...arent=0&cat=78

Quote Originally Posted by skyflash
    Stealth has more kicks in the dogfight than this show. Maybe the cameraman fainted at those high energy turns?

The show also featured quite a bit on the simulated air combat (and Boeing's stuffs).
    The film was sponsored by Boeing, btw. :P
    stealth? pretty crappy show that was.

anyone who hasnt watched interested to watch? Op Red Flag i mean

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    stealth? pretty crappy show that was.

anyone who hasnt watched interested to watch? Op Red Flag i mean
    Watched, quite disappointed with it.
    But was impressed with the AWACS. Does the AWACS's monitor really shows a 3-D view of the entire battle as featured in the film?

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 58910