Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Long lenses in public places...

Default Re: Long lenses in public places...

Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    Ban electricity.

Electricity needed to run machinery to make equipment that makes bombs.... Ban all forms of electricity too.

No batteries to operate any remote control. No power, can't detonate anything.
    Now that is truley an excellent idea, but would also have to ban those petrol generators

vince123123
    Guests

When you not in camp its irrelevant whether you're using a mobile phone with camera or without rite?

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Then when I'm not in camp they can still contact me... which is what I want to totally avoid

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    When you not in camp its irrelevant whether you're using a mobile phone with camera or without rite?
    No... the relevancy here is I don't want to be contactable by them at all regardless of I using camera phone or not... without camera, I can bring the phone in and use with camera, I can't... hahaha...

Quote Originally Posted by trlnlty
    actually in the u.s it is legal to take photographs of anything that is within view of the public. Which means you can go into a shopping mall and take photos of the place and it is completely legal. They have NO right to ask u to delete the photo,.. however they have the right to chase you out.

not sure about singapore tho.
    Hmmm that's not actually true about the US. After all, US pioneered the building release forms. But that's another totally hairy issue together. It's not an issue of terrorism or what, but an issue of copyright. apparently some images from some angles of some popular buildings are copyrighted.

Singapore, if the building has a no photography sign, you can't take photos. They can get you to leave the building, or stop you. Cineleisure is one such place btw. Once I challenged the security about the law/signage problem when they stopped me, and they called management. The management kindly and politely showed me the sign pasted right at the entrance.
    Last edited by unseen; 3rd February 2006 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by engowen
    should all mobilephone with camera ban here? how abouut banning all mobilephone as it can trigger bomb? ....
    OOT a bit, my friend is working for US embassy in Indonesia and she told me that the staff is not allowed to use HP with camera in the embassy... i don't know it's true or not

Quote Originally Posted by unseen
    Hmmm that's not actually true about the US. After all, US pioneered the building release forms. But that's another totally hairy issue together. It's not an issue of terrorism or what, but an issue of copyright. apparently some images from some angles of some popular buildings are copyrighted.

Singapore, if the building has a no photography sign, you can't take photos. They can get you to leave the building, or stop you. Cineleisure is one such place btw. Once I challenged the security about the law/signage problem when they stopped me, and they called management. The management kindly and politely showed me the sign pasted right at the entrance.
    So by theory we can shoot any non high-security building that doesn't have a 'no photography' sign?

But I still don't get the 'crime' of shooting a row of old crumbling unoccupied, structurally unsafe shophouses slated for demolition...

vince123123
    Guests

That befuddles me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    But I still don't get the 'crime' of shooting a row of old crumbling unoccupied, structurally unsafe shophouses slated for demolition...

Quote Originally Posted by bonifas
    OOT a bit, my friend is working for US embassy in Indonesia and she told me that the staff is not allowed to use HP with camera in the embassy... i don't know it's true or not

that should be no surprise. already in Singapore some ST Engineering facilities have a strict no camera phone policy for visitors. visitors' camera phone will be retained by security.

You can take photos any place that's open to the public, whether or not it's private property. A mall, for example, is open to the public. So are most office buildings (at least the lobbies). You don't need permission; if you have permission to enter, you have permission to shoot.

In fact, there are very few limits to what you're allowed to photograph. Separately, there are few limits to what you're allowed to publish. And the fact that they're separate issues shooting and publishing is important. We'll get to that in a moment.

You can take any photo that does not intrude upon or invade the privacy of a person, if that person has a reasonable expectation of privacy. Someone walking in a mall or on the street? Fair game. Someone standing in a corner, looking at his new Prozac prescription? No. Using a long lens to shoot someone in an apartment? No.

Note that the limits have nothing to do with where you are when you take the shots; it's all about the subject's expectation of privacy. You can be on private property (a mall or office-building lobby), or even be trespassing and still legally take pictures. Whether you can be someplace and whether you can take pictures are two completely separate issues.
    The article was an interesting read, but somehow I feel some of the points highlighted are a bit ambiguous. The article is a general guideline for photographers in the States, but ultimately, if things are brought to court, interpretations will still have to be made by judges or the jury.

I find this bit about reasonable expectations rather interesting. If you were already banned from , let's say a mall, by the management. Wouldn't the management have a reasonable expectation that you will not return to take pictures? After all, the reason that the management banned you in the first place could be that your pictures are an invasion of the privacy of the mall, eg: Maybe the layout of shops, demography of shoppers or what they are buying etc.

And also, the part about being able to publish your pictures can be quite misleading. You may not be stopped from publishing your pictures, but if the pictures put the subject in the bad light, he can claim for damages right?

So it's really still quite a grey area I feel. And looking at some of the recent cases of paparazzi lawsuits in the US these day, I don't really think it's all as simple as the guidelines says.

Any lawyers or policemen out there?

Or at least someone who knows the law.....

Need some clarification.

For those like me shooting for the various photo competitons, hope don't get stopped again like last time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123