Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Help on Registry Key

  1. #1
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Help on Registry Key

    I heard from a source that there are keys in Windows XP Registry which track the plugging in and unplugging in of external storage devices (e.g. thumb drives, memory card readers, disk drives etc) and when these were plugged or unplugged.

    Anyone has any idea which key tracks this stuffs?

    Thanks!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help on Registry Key

    i'm not too sure abt which key the registry reads from for plugin devices but i know there's this directory that will show all drives available:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

    this will display a new drive key when u plug in a memory card reader /w card.

  3. #3
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Help on Registry Key

    Does this key show a log on past drives that were plugged in and out from the PC? Or does it only show whats' plugged in at that point in time.

    Thanks for your response!

    Quote Originally Posted by dolpjki
    i'm not too sure abt which key the registry reads from for plugin devices but i know there's this directory that will show all drives available:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

    this will display a new drive key when u plug in a memory card reader /w card.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Help on Registry Key

    this key will only show wht's plugged in at the point of time. it does not show any log. u can test it out by goin to that directory, then plug in ur memory card reader /w card, then refresh to see the new key entry.

    wht do u actually need?

  5. #5
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Help on Registry Key

    I need the log to check back what had happened in the past - what external storage devices were plugge in and when they were plugged in. I heard that a Registry Key stores this information.

    Quote Originally Posted by dolpjki
    this key will only show wht's plugged in at the point of time. it does not show any log. u can test it out by goin to that directory, then plug in ur memory card reader /w card, then refresh to see the new key entry.

    wht do u actually need?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Help on Registry Key

    well.. i tried looking thru the registry, this might look like what u were asking for:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum

    at least, i can see the past VGA card i had used for my system when i look under the different keys at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\PCI

  7. #7
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Help on Registry Key

    From your advice, I think this is the one:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USBST OR

    Thanks for your update - although I'm not quite sure how to read it, but its a start. If you have any more information, I'd be grateful.


    Quote Originally Posted by dolpjki
    well.. i tried looking thru the registry, this might look like what u were asking for:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum

    at least, i can see the past VGA card i had used for my system when i look under the different keys at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\PCI

  8. #8

    Default Re: Help on Registry Key

    for example, under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB
    u should see value pairs of Vidxxx&Pidxxx, expand any one of it, there would be at least one more key under it (e.g. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB\V id_0a16&Pid_9780\5&29c7aec0&0&2)

    u would be able to see "DeviceDesc". hope this helps
    im also learning while i'm looking through the registry. so should i provide the wrong info, juz update me.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •