Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: UHHHH, Lens Recommendation? Night Shot Tips?

  1. #1

    Default UHHHH, Lens Recommendation? Night Shot Tips?

    Don't you guys find it quite annoying that every couple of days, a new "Lens Recommandation (sic)" thread would pop up? And without even providing what their shooting style/budget is, people start popping in and offering different combinations. I mean if you come in and ask "Hey is a XXX suited for taking portraits/weddings?", its okay with me, at least you have picked out something for yourself. And you also get the same ol' "Night Shot Tips?" thread. A simple search with ClubSNAP's forum will yield almost all the answers you need.

    Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against "newbies" or whatever, I'm still learning too. Its just that I feel sometimes, some sections are just too cluttered with questions that already have been asked, not once, not twice, but quite a few times. Are people really reading the stickies?

  2. #2
    Member/Tangshooter zaxh81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,339

    Default Re: UHHHH, Lens Recommendation? Night Shot Tips?

    they just need some reassurance,to be safe.


  3. #3

    Default Re: UHHHH, Lens Recommendation? Night Shot Tips?

    well i guess some people just cant be bothered to read thru the backlog of threads (may be due to lack of time or whatever reason) and they create a new thread hoping to garner faster responses or something lah... *shrugs*
    people can get lazy.. like me lah, supposed to be doing assignment but im still surfing CS!

    imho, just let such things slide. not worth getting your feathers ruffled over such trivial matters. (:

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Local
    Posts
    1,609

    Default Re: UHHHH, Lens Recommendation? Night Shot Tips?

    Quote Originally Posted by simplicity_
    well i guess some people just cant be bothered to read thru the backlog of threads (may be due to lack of time or whatever reason) and they create a new thread hoping to garner faster responses or something lah... *shrugs*
    people can get lazy.. like me lah, supposed to be doing assignment but im still surfing CS!

    imho, just let such things slide. not worth getting your feathers ruffled over such trivial matters. (:
    Hahahahaha... well said.. why bother! CS will be a better place if complain could be greatly reduce.

    yawn..its another day liao..............

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Punggol 21
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: UHHHH, Lens Recommendation? Night Shot Tips?

    I think its ok lah...maybe there is new information involved that can be shared by everyone. And also in photography, there will always be recycled questions on operation, recommendations, etc...

    Unless something new comes out of the way how a camera works, than we will see newer questions.

    CS is a great site.

    my 2 cents
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: UHHHH, Lens Recommendation? Night Shot Tips?

    Thats one of the interesting thing about photography, what camera to buy, what lens to buy etc.
    The other interesting thing about photography, of course, is to press shutter and taking photos.

  7. #7
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: UHHHH, Lens Recommendation? Night Shot Tips?

    Quote Originally Posted by n0d3
    Don't you guys find it quite annoying that every couple of days, a new "Lens Recommandation (sic)" thread would pop up? And without even providing what their shooting style/budget is, people start popping in and offering different combinations. I mean if you come in and ask "Hey is a XXX suited for taking portraits/weddings?", its okay with me, at least you have picked out something for yourself. And you also get the same ol' "Night Shot Tips?" thread. A simple search with ClubSNAP's forum will yield almost all the answers you need.

    Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against "newbies" or whatever, I'm still learning too. Its just that I feel sometimes, some sections are just too cluttered with questions that already have been asked, not once, not twice, but quite a few times. Are people really reading the stickies?
    I just simply read and judge for myself if it is worth throwing in my two cents. I would like to see what kind of newbie is asking the question and how he /she ask it and then I will go track his other messages in other thread to see if he/she really is serious or just trying to accumulate more score to increase his message volume or whatever reason they might have. I tend to go all the way to help but I notice sometime it is just not worth the effort when you see how or what they do with the details...and worst some keep asking to be spoon fed. So now...I rather pass them over and be extremely more discerning in throwing in even my most simplest of reply. Just not worth it sometimes...sorry to say. That's my bit.

    Personally if you buy something that cost so much, you sould at least spend as much in investing your time. money and willingness to try new things without have to always get 100% aproval from every tom dick and harry before you dare to say..open your lens from the body in public...or before you even dare to use a cloth to wipe your FIRST LENS STAIN or DUST!!. Just one simple trip to a book store and for about $30+ there are a few very nicely illustrated book on basic camera technique and care. they are universal and well explained. How hard is it to buy one but here we have some who only just bought a camera and a kit lens...just shoot abit and still shaky with the basic..and they are already asking everyone here what other lens or equipment to add to their camera! Aiyo....headache. And they just started another one again...is a D50 made in Thailand good??!!!! Look at the D70...millions were sold!!..and I am sure the same will be for the D50...so what does that kind of figure tells you....good or not? Ifyou have to ask that much..then keep the money and take on a less costly hobby or buy a D2X that is MADE IN JAPAN to be safe!. hehehe

    sorry..I am ranting (again) Of late I notice this is gettign worst or is it all in my mind hehe..

    I know there is this say " The dumbing down of the American people" now I am wonderin if the same can be said of Singapore too.
    Last edited by sammy888; 12th December 2005 at 03:51 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Chestnut
    Posts
    3,171

    Default Re: UHHHH, Lens Recommendation? Night Shot Tips?

    Just as in the thread lamenting about the influx of pseudo photographers in the market, I feel even if we are more experienced, we could try to be more tolerant towards often asked questions/comments etc, some could have posted the questions in the ignorance that they have been posted before......after all nothing was said that one cannot ask certain questions as they have been asked before......its a free space after all, as its a free market for anyone who can press the shutter to pass off as a photographer charging whatever people are willing to pay, perhaps....a separate forum can be created exclusively for pros/experts......and only individuals who have proven credentials can post......then you can sieve out the redundant inputs......just a thought......newbies...and non-expert can just sit on the fence and learn from the great minds sharpening each other......

  9. #9
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: UHHHH, Lens Recommendation? Night Shot Tips?

    What's a good len to use? Can introduce?

  10. #10

    Default Re: UHHHH, Lens Recommendation? Night Shot Tips?

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888
    I just simply read and judge for myself if it is worth throwing in my two cents. I would like to see what kind of newbie is asking the question and how he /she ask it and then I will go track his other messages in other thread to see if he/she really is serious or just trying to accumulate more score to increase his message volume or whatever reason they might have. I tend to go all the way to help but I notice sometime it is just not worth the effort when you see how or what they do with the details...and worst some keep asking to be spoon fed. So now...I rather pass them over and be extremely more discerning in throwing in even my most simplest of reply. Just not worth it sometimes...sorry to say. That's my bit.

    Personally if you buy something that cost so much, you sould at least spend as much in investing your time. money and willingness to try new things without have to always get 100% aproval from every tom dick and harry before you dare to say..open your lens from the body in public...or before you even dare to use a cloth to wipe your FIRST LENS STAIN or DUST!!. Just one simple trip to a book store and for about $30+ there are a few very nicely illustrated book on basic camera technique and care. they are universal and well explained. How hard is it to buy one but here we have some who only just bought a camera and a kit lens...just shoot abit and still shaky with the basic..and they are already asking everyone here what other lens or equipment to add to their camera! Aiyo....headache. And they just started another one again...is a D50 made in Thailand good??!!!! Look at the D70...millions were sold!!..and I am sure the same will be for the D50...so what does that kind of figure tells you....good or not? Ifyou have to ask that much..then keep the money and take on a less costly hobby or buy a D2X that is MADE IN JAPAN to be safe!. hehehe

    sorry..I am ranting (again) Of late I notice this is gettign worst or is it all in my mind hehe..

    I know there is this say " The dumbing down of the American people" now I am wonderin if the same can be said of Singapore too.

    Show a little patience for newbies lah. (inlcuding me. ) Everybody starts from somewhere. For beginners, there is no such thing as stupid questions. But of coz, it will be good to read up first before shooting a question to prevent duplication.

    So whats a good lens to recommend? Anyone?

  11. #11
    Member/Tangshooter zaxh81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,339

    Default Re: UHHHH, Lens Recommendation? Night Shot Tips?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sun_Of_The_Beach
    Show a little patience for newbies lah. (inlcuding me. ) Everybody starts from somewhere. For beginners, there is no such thing as stupid questions. But of coz, it will be good to read up first before shooting a question to prevent duplication.

    So whats a good lens to recommend? Anyone?
    good lens alot,budget how much?
    without budget,we can rant alot too.


  12. #12

    Default Re: UHHHH, Lens Recommendation? Night Shot Tips?

    Quote Originally Posted by zaxh81
    good lens alot,budget how much?
    without budget,we can rant alot too.
    Anything lor...budget is from $100 to $3000. Any recommendations?

    Should I get a tripod or monopod? If tripod more stable, got quadpod or pentapod? more legs more stable...

  13. #13
    Member/Tangshooter zaxh81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,339

    Default Re: UHHHH, Lens Recommendation? Night Shot Tips?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sun_Of_The_Beach
    Anything lor...budget is from $100 to $3000. Any recommendations?

    Should I get a tripod or monopod? If tripod more stable, got quadpod or pentapod? more legs more stable...
    $3000 more then enough.
    Lens for which type of shoot?
    PM me your number,we go buy lens at CP.


  14. #14

    Default Re: UHHHH, Lens Recommendation? Night Shot Tips?

    Quote Originally Posted by zaxh81
    $3000 more then enough.
    Lens for which type of shoot?
    PM me your number,we go buy lens at CP.
    You mean buy lens for you?

    But I am looking out for a monopod though. But not intending to spend $3000 for the monopod. Maybe about $100 to $300, preferably CF and with head. Any recommendations? This time is genuine hor, coz realise not many reviews on monopods.

  15. #15
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: UHHHH, Lens Recommendation? Night Shot Tips?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sun_Of_The_Beach
    Show a little patience for newbies lah. (inlcuding me. ) Everybody starts from somewhere. For beginners, there is no such thing as stupid questions. But of coz, it will be good to read up first before shooting a question to prevent duplication.

    So whats a good lens to recommend? Anyone?
    hehe trust me ...I have no problem with patience but I do access each question. How the question had been brought across and what takes place later once some advice or comments had been passed on to them. 80% of the time, the help newbies do need, are base on something that shows they do want to learn and will participate in the process of learning. But there are those who have not even gave a try and already you find them off and hopping with another question in another direction when they have not even done anything to show or indicate he is learning to use what pointers he just gather to his first question. And then there are those who demand to be helped...and disappear.

    For example in one of the other thread..there was this guy who asked for some tip for night shot. Me along with a few others offer some tips here and there...not long later..he shot some picture...put it up to ask further how to improve on it. Now that is someone who really have the heart to learn. That is what I am talking about. I am not someone who would selfishly guard what I know or do I say I have the best ideas...but if we take the trouble to participate in the process of helping you improve..you should show something in return that you are learning. Just becasue we are here behind a PC screen and we only see our avatar and ID nick..that does not mean you should take advantage or just use as you like. The common things we all have here is our interest in photography. And if anyone who does have a keen interest to learn and be better at it will not just be logging on here to ask but it is about interacting and giving feedback so other can learn as well, there is feedback as to whether you fulling understand what was adviced and there is group dynamic to have everyone growing in interest for the hobby. Maybe I have a very difference view about a forum and the process of learning and progressing with one's favorite hobby if it is indeed a hobby to them as it is for me. In a way I am giving something back as I was given years before when I got started in the hobby.
    Last edited by sammy888; 13th December 2005 at 02:16 AM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: UHHHH, Lens Recommendation? Night Shot Tips?

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888
    Maybe I have a very difference view about a forum and the process of learning and progressing with one's favorite hobby if it is indeed a hobby to them as it is for me. In a way I am giving something back as I was given years before when I got started in the hobby.
    Yes, agree with you. Sometimes, sharing is also a part of learning, as it reinforce what you learn. And not forgeting, the fact that even "oldies" are still learning, as the chinese saying, "One mountain have another mountain higher." (direct translation ) Anyway, learning is a lifelong process, right?

    But meanwhile, I will still be on the receiving end first, as I not oldie, and not much knowledge to share.

  17. #17

    Default Re: UHHHH, Lens Recommendation? Night Shot Tips?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sun_Of_The_Beach
    You mean buy lens for you?

    But I am looking out for a monopod though. But not intending to spend $3000 for the monopod. Maybe about $100 to $300, preferably CF and with head. Any recommendations? This time is genuine hor, coz realise not many reviews on monopods.

    I bought a monopod liao! Bought the Gitzo 1566. Good for my height, and also more than enough to support my equipment setup. And somemore, got promo at CP. $215 without ballhead.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •