Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: tips for night photography

Default Re: tips for night photography

Quote Originally Posted by Mezzotint
    Thanks Kenneth! Here are some other shots I took with my medium format TLR camera in B&W film. They are part of my long-term photographic project, Nite Projekt which I started a year ago. There are other more which I wasn't able to scan them all yet.

Well hope you like them too. Pleasant viewing.

Quiet Lane
    nice one mezzotint!
    can i ask what film you're using? and you're using a medium format camera as well right?

Quote Originally Posted by reezaelias
    Anyone got a recommendation on a good tripod brand and model.
    Sorry I don't have time to go back and look at what camera you are using. If I am not mistaken, its a D70. If that is the case, you will be better off getting a sturdy pro quality tripod as the cheap $40 - $50 will not be able to take the weight of your camera. I am not talking so much about the legs as the head as these tend not to be able to hold the camera firmly enough, especially when fitted with a relatively long lens.
    A good brand to consider would be the Manfrotto. If you are not a very tall guy, then the B190 would be a really good investment as its very affordable (I think its still the cheapest pro quality tripod around) and has most of the functions you will ever need including the individually angle adjustable legs.
    Also, you might want to invest in a relatively sturdy mini tripod (no taller than 6inches high) for those times that is not convenient to be lugging around a heavy tripod, as this will come in handy to use with an existing table or even a nearby wall to keep the camera steady.
    I think there have already been other threads discussing the different brands and prices. You might want to go and check them out.

must have for night shoot:

-sturdy tripod
    -remote cable
    -spirit level
    -water bottle

i usually shoot with small aperture and longer exposure....well as someone mentioned there is no right formula...just shoot and delete undesire photos, reset the apeture or exposure to suit your needs....practice make perfect.
    10-20,18-70,18-200,50,80-200,70-300

Quote Originally Posted by raine
    nice one mezzotint!
    can i ask what film you're using? and you're using a medium format camera as well right?
    Hi Raine,

Yes I shoot film for all my night shootings. I shot with a Shanghai TLR (Twin-Lens Reflex) camera on Kodak Tmax 400. Too bad I can't afford a Hasselblad or Mamiya.

Quote Originally Posted by tangoninazero
    must have for night shoot:

-sturdy tripod
    -remote cable
    -spirit level
    -water bottle

i usually shoot with small aperture and longer exposure....well as someone mentioned there is no right formula...just shoot and delete undesire photos, reset the apeture or exposure to suit your needs....practice make perfect.
    hi, may i ask what spirit level is? thanks.

maybe hantus or something like that...less is better for shooting...don't want them to appear in your pics...

or alcohol..drink more and get creative...you'll be swaying left and right and when you shoot..you get those artsy fartsy light streaks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae
    Oh, that's in Manila.

Hey, I currently live in YCK... You too, huh?
    yep haha ... sryz i have not been checking the forum. :P

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123