Thread: Seeking Help.. Pictures lacking sharpness?

Default Seeking Help.. Pictures lacking sharpness?

hi all,

i would like to seek cs-ers kind expertise to judge the below pics taken with EOS 450D + 24mm Sigma F1.4 ART

when zoomed in the pics appears blurry to me.. is this normal? i read up that the ART lenses are supposed to be tack sharp

thanks for your 2 cs...

pls let me know if u need more pics and i will gladly send it over

Default Re: Seeking Help.. Pictures lacking sharpness?

Looks ok to me on my iPhone screen. Bear in mind that lens are generally softer wide open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The center shows some sharp areas. It looks as if taken with aperture wide open. So the unsharp areas are caused by very thin depth of field. Did you consider this?
    EOS

thanks for the replies.. this was knowingly taken at f2 because i was testing out the lens to see if calibration was needed with the sigma dock.

i think the below pic represents better what i meant.. when i zoom in on my desktop.. or is this an 'incorrect' way of judging sharpness?

The area that is sharpest seems to be a bit behind the surface of this object (ie seems like a bit back focused)

However I would suggest that you check out the many articles on the web on how to check the focus of your lens, one eg https://photographylife.com/how-to-q...tofocus-issues

I noticed that there is some noise in the image, so the 'blurriness' may be due to the camera's noise reduction, it could also be due to camera shake. So you should eliminate all the other variables first by following some of those articles

Quote Originally Posted by thoongeng View Post
    The area that is sharpest seems to be a bit behind the surface of this object (ie seems like a bit back focused)

However I would suggest that you check out the many articles on the web on how to check the focus of your lens, one eg https://photographylife.com/how-to-q...tofocus-issues

I noticed that there is some noise in the image, so the 'blurriness' may be due to the camera's noise reduction, it could also be due to camera shake. So you should eliminate all the other variables first by following some of those articles
    tks for the feedback, will have a look

Don't zoom beyond 100%, of course. That's one pixel on screen = one pixel from sensor. Everything beyond 100% will be blur because the software cannot guess the missing details smaller than one pixel.
    EOS

That explains.. thk u mod

I think the main issue here is the lenses is not focused on the front of the cuff link. It seems the plane of focus starts about 0.5 behind the front of the cuff link. Look at the dust particles on the surface of the table.

i figured that as well but for 0.5.. i will just leave it as it is.. within my tolerance level

Try taking a photo of a ruler instead. (Placed vertically extended away from you) and take a shot while focussing on the (for example) 10cm Mark.

Then you will know how much you are off by exactly.