Thread: what is a clear filter

Default what is a clear filter

can anyone explain the use or function of a clear filter? does it function the same as uv filter?

Default Re: what is a clear filter

If I am not wrong, its just a piece of glass/plastic/material to protect the lens, without any additional functions. UV filter will remove UV light, but only at high altitude.

Actually, any glass will reduce UV rays to a certain extent, just that UV filter will reduce more, I guess Excessive UV rays supposedly produces a bluish cast.

From what another CSer told me, a neutral clear(NC) filter is mainly targetted at Digital cam users. UV filters are more useful to film users.

A NC filter doesn't alter colour in anyway, a UV filter might alter colour slightly, e.g. it might give a slight tinge of yellow. In this digital age, we can always alter the colour or hue using PS or other photo editing software. So we don't actually need a UV filter for Digital users ...

The experts please correct me if I'm wrong
    Last edited by wiz23; 12th December 2005 at 10:20 PM.

I see, but I don't notice any yellow tinge with my D50 and UV filter in Singapore...hmm ... maybe too dark to tell...

Quote Originally Posted by blive
    I see, but I don't notice any yellow tinge with my D50 and UV filter in Singapore...hmm ... maybe too dark to tell...
    From what I gather, the yellow/pink tinge is only very slight ... For people like us who are not very particular, or who are not expert enough, we cannot tell ... At least, I cannot tell

The very good UV filters are supposed to be colourless anyway ... I'm also not very sure why they came up with the NC filters

Quote Originally Posted by blive
    If I am not wrong, its just a piece of glass/plastic/material to protect the lens, without any additional functions. UV filter will remove UV light, but only at high altitude.
    You are right...

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenstars07
    You are right...
    Thanks. all these months spent reading post is worth it....