Thread: any comments on EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6II USM?

Default any comments on EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6II USM?

I just bought a lense of this model. Could anyone kindly give any comments on this lense? or recommed good ones with similar focus.
    thanks very much!

Default Re: any comments on EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6II USM?

Just to confirm:

- have you already bought the lens or just bought a camera model that's compatible with this lens?

- what do you mean by 'good ones with similar focus'? Are you looking for something with a similar focal length range (ie. 55-200mm)?

I've never used this lens myself, but going based on some of the reviews I've read in the past, and looking at the MTF graphs in Canon's Lens Work book, it is decent, but the image quality is not exactly good, even taking it's price into consideration.

With a focal length range like this, it is the perfect companion to the kit lens of a 300D, 350D or 20D...assuming you have this. But most users usually opt to buy a Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 or put in more money for an EF 70-200mm f/4L.

That being said, the 55-200mm is not a bad lens, and will suffice for casual use.

Hi Thanks very much for your reply.
    Yes, I have bought a lense of the model mentioned above and a comera compatible with this lense.
    I want to find a good and inexpensive lense in the future. I first need to improve the photography skill, and then choose a lense I need.

Yes, I also think 70-300mm is a good choice. But for EOS 10d and 300d, the actual focus length need to be multiplied by 1.6. Does this means that I can get 320mm focus length by using 200mm lense?

I heard that TAMRON 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 is very good.
    The advantage is that it covers a very large focus length. Do you have any experience or any knowledge about it. Frequently changing the lense is not comfortable.

I am a newbie. Some questions are very stupid.

The questions are not silly at all, and are actually well thought of.

Cameras such as the 350D, 300D, 10D, 20D, D30 and even D60 are cameras that all have a 1.6X crop multiplier factor. Put simply, any lens that is attached to these cameras need to have their base focal length multiplied by 1.6.

So a 18-55mm kit lens in reality has an effective focal length of about 29-88mm. A 70-200mm lens has an effective focal length of 112-320mm, and for the 55-200mm, it gives effective focal length range of 88-320mm.

Hence, photography with such cameras is biased towards telephoto shots. All lenses become longer, but in so doing, getting a wide angle shot becomes harder. On film cameras, the very popular 17-40mm f/4L gives an effective focal length range of 17-40mm, exactly as it should be. But on our 1.6X crop digital SLRs, that works out to a modest 27-64mm...27mm is definitely not as wide as 17mm.

To go real wide angle on the 350D or 20D, you'll need the newer EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5. That yields effective focal length range of 16-35mm. But the catch is that such EF-S lenses cannot be used on other digital SLRs with larger sensors (eg. 1DmkII, 1Ds) or with older dSLRs (eg. 10D, D30, D60).

The Tamron 18-200mm is certainly a very versatile lens...perfect for travel and walkaround. It's direct competitor is the Sigma 18-200mm, which from what I read, is actually a better performer than the Tamron. But do be aware that when such a big range is squeezed into a single lens, there will be compromises in image quality, such as the colors and sharpness.

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much! your answer is very helpful..