Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Advice on 1st Lense Purchase

Deregistered

Default Re: Need Advice on 1st Lense Purchase

Quote Originally Posted by infusia
    ARGH!!! U AGAIN!!!
    i oni wan either both!! not a VR!!!
    VR = pocket killer!!!
    You know you want it... just do it... get over the pain... DO IT!!

argh~~
    i oni wan sigma now! no VR!

Quote Originally Posted by infusia
    wah chim... dun quite understand...
    can i say that the sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro is better than the sigma 28-300 DG macro??
    i'm having the D50 kit lens... wanted to get a telephoto lens. the nikkor 55-200 has got some bad reviews so i skipped it... so left this 2 choice... like i've asked before, is it important to cover the missing in the 55-70 range if i were to get the 70-300?? :S
    Personally I've never used the 28-300 DG macro, though I would think that the 70 -300mm would perform better as a zoom lens since it does not have to cover the wide angle as well. Generally the more focal lengths the lens has to cover, the lower the image quality, especially if you want coverage from wide to tele, ie 18-200 etc.

And no its not that important to cover the 55-70 range. Your perspective won't change that much if you physically move yourself to cover that range, and neither is the physical distance you have to move that great!

maybe just do away with the 18-200mmsigma/tamron..its sharper.

On the same topic. I have been using a Nikon D50 for a month now (not enough time to make a firm decision) but I have found the 18-55 kit lens a bit short on the tele end.

1) Any recommendation for a good telephoto lens. (@espn: not the 18-200 VR, that good a lens is wasted on me).

2) Would it be better to opt for a telephoto zoom or to try and get a prime lens.

3) Can I try and use a manual focus lens? How can I meter for it and how do I focus without a split prism?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    Personally I've never used the 28-300 DG macro, though I would think that the 70 -300mm would perform better as a zoom lens since it does not have to cover the wide angle as well. Generally the more focal lengths the lens has to cover, the lower the image quality, especially if you want coverage from wide to tele, ie 18-200 etc.

And no its not that important to cover the 55-70 range. Your perspective won't change that much if you physically move yourself to cover that range, and neither is the physical distance you have to move that great!
    i'll strongly go with the APO 70-300mm.
    the thing stopping me is the macro can be enabled via a switch after 200mm
    while the 28-300 is zoom at full length.

since its not impt to cover the missing range, by moving myself. i guess i'll go for the 70-300 then. thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by nmk
    On the same topic. I have been using a Nikon D50 for a month now (not enough time to make a firm decision) but I have found the 18-55 kit lens a bit short on the tele end.

1) Any recommendation for a good telephoto lens. (@espn: not the 18-200 VR, that good a lens is wasted on me).

2) Would it be better to opt for a telephoto zoom or to try and get a prime lens.

3) Can I try and use a manual focus lens? How can I meter for it and how do I focus without a split prism?

Thanks
    1) Read the thread

2) Zoom. Get a prime lens only if you know you have use for that focal length, and want the large aperature that accompanies it. Else it'll be a white elephant.

3) What for? Auto-focus is so much faster and more accurate. Besides you have the option of manual focus on all AF lenses. Metering can also be done by you camera with some intervention for complicated scenes. Besides the focusing screen on the D50's too small for accurate manual focus, especially in low light.
    Last edited by solarii; 15th December 2005 at 11:14 AM.

APO = Apochromatic. reduces CA. the 70-300mm APO DG Macro is a good buy at $320 with gst at MS color. a very good budget telezoom

Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    1) Read the thread

2) Zoom. Get a prime lens only if you know you have use for that focal length, and want the large aperature that accompanies it. Else it'll be a white elephant.

3) What for? Auto-focus is so much faster and more accurate. Besides you have the option of manual focus on all AF lenses. Metering can also be done by you camera with some intervention for complicated scenes. Besides the focusing screen on the D50's too small for accurate manual focus, especially in low light.
    or you can also add in the split focussing screen.

Quote Originally Posted by JediForce4ever
    or you can also add in the split focussing screen.
    Can I add a split focussing screen for the D50?

Where would I be able to buy one? and does anyone know how much it costs??

Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12