Thread: Guys, sending digital pics for lab to print is what aspect ratio?

Default Guys, sending digital pics for lab to print is what aspect ratio?

as above.. what aspect ratio u guys use?

and what software you use to calibrate your monitor to make the color as close to the original as possible?

Yups, me also like to know... And how do I resize the pic using what?

3:2

resize using photoshop..

btw btw, it's got 4R.. 3:2 is the correct one rite?

and btw, this is personal opinion: say if you have a physical photo album which you are going to compile, will you have your name at the bottom of every printed pic as a trademark or copyright?

Default pic for printing

Using photoshop

1) select crop tool
    2) select size of photo by entering the width and height

4R ratio is 4 x 6
    5R - 5 x 7
    6R - 6 x 8
    8R - 8 x 10
    S8R - same as 4 x 6

for lab printing the dpi is about 300
    for laser printing is about 300
    for inkjet u can choose around 200 to 250

do we have to set the resolution in PS?

Midnight
    Guests

Default Re: Guys, sending digital pics for lab to print is what aspect ratio?

Originally posted by behyx
    as above.. what aspect ratio u guys use?
    Well... this depends on the print size you're printing to.
    4R - 3:2
    5R - 7:5
    8R - 5:4
    etc

Alternatively, most labs allow you to specify that the entire digital photo be printed in its original aspect ratio (usually 4:3), with extra whitespace added as necessary on the actual print.

and what software you use to calibrate your monitor to make the color as close to the original as possible?
    I just use Adobe Gamma, which comes with Photoshop. It's not terribly sophisticated (unlike the much more expensive hardware calibration systems), but it gets the job done for me.

Default Re: Re: Guys, sending digital pics for lab to print is what aspect ratio?

Originally posted by Midnight
    Well... this depends on the print size you're printing to.
    4R - 3:2
    5R - 7:5
    8R - 5:4
    etc

Alternatively, most labs allow you to specify that the entire digital photo be printed in its original aspect ratio (usually 4:3), with extra whitespace added as necessary on the actual print.

I just use Adobe Gamma, which comes with Photoshop. It's not terribly sophisticated (unlike the much more expensive hardware calibration systems), but it gets the job done for me.
    because most of my pictures are really out of the 3:2 ratio.. and some are a little squarish.. can i just send everything like that to the lab for printing? because i intend to cut them.. is that possible? will the lab people shout here shout there?

and also, where u guys get your photos printed? got any pro lab to recommend; but must be CHEAP one.. got any that don't need handling fee? just pay for the every photo will do.

Midnight
    Guests

Default Re: Re: Re: Guys, sending digital pics for lab to print is what aspect ratio?

because most of my pictures are really out of the 3:2 ratio.. and some are a little squarish.. can i just send everything like that to the lab for printing? because i intend to cut them.. is that possible? will the lab people shout here shout there?
    Yes, just tell them not to crop your photos but to print with borders. You may have to emphasise and reiterate it though, coz I once had a lab ignore all my requests to print with borders.

and also, where u guys get your photos printed? got any pro lab to recommend; but must be CHEAP one.. got any that don't need handling fee? just pay for the every photo will do.
    Try FotoHub. They're located at Raffles Place.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Guys, sending digital pics for lab to print is what aspect ratio?

Yes, just tell them not to crop your photos but to print with borders. You may have to emphasise and reiterate it though, coz I once had a lab ignore all my requests to print with borders.

Try FotoHub. They're located at Raffles Place.
    ok thanks!

and, what is their pricing?

i saw this:
    4R $0.50 640x480 250KB

it cost $0.50 without any handling charge?

if i give them a pic that is 1MB in size, they will do all the necessary changes for me rite?

Midnight
    Guests

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Guys, sending digital pics for lab to print is what aspect ratio?

and, what is their pricing?
    i saw this:
    4R $0.50 640x480 250KB
    it cost $0.50 without any handling charge?
    Yes. If you're submitting your order online, I think they have a minimum transaction amount of S$5.00 to offset the credit card fees.
    if i give them a pic that is 1MB in size, they will do all the necessary changes for me rite?
    What kind of changes do you mean? Yes, they will do whatever interpolation and technical adjustments that may be needed to get the photo printed, but as for issues like image sharpening and colour balance correction, you'll probably want to do it yourself before sending in your photos. If you're planning to have your photos cropped to 4R or whatever, you may also want to do the cropping yourself to ensure that the result is what you expect, but they can certainly do the cropping for you too if you just send them the original image file.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Guys, sending digital pics for lab to print is what aspect ratio?

Yes. If you're submitting your order online, I think they have a minimum transaction amount of S$5.00 to offset the credit card fees.
    What kind of changes do you mean? Yes, they will do whatever interpolation and technical adjustments that may be needed to get the photo printed, but as for issues like image sharpening and colour balance correction, you'll probably want to do it yourself before sending in your photos. If you're planning to have your photos cropped to 4R or whatever, you may also want to do the cropping yourself to ensure that the result is what you expect, but they can certainly do the cropping for you too if you just send them the original image file.
    oh that's cool!!
    the online service they offer is really fantastic.

will try that out

thanks man guys!!