Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Really old games(of the adventure genre)

Default Re: Really old games(of the adventure genre)

Quote Originally Posted by Marmbo
    Like the Original ZORK game

Recently there have been some remakes of old games on XBox & PS2 like Pirates! & Leisure Suit Larry, of course these versions have much improved graphics ... gameplay wise, I'm not sure, haven't tried ...

I remember the text-based games from the 80s. One of the very first ones I played was Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Then there was the simple business simulation called Taipan, anyone remember that??

My favourite game from the early 90s was Sword of Mana on the Super Nintendo system

I have played most of Sierra and Lucasart adventure games, also interested to replay, but most of those are DOS base, don't know if they work well with XP or not leh. I also love Zork.

I remembered have some websites you can download old old games, these websites call them Abandonware, search in internet

List of Abandonware sites
    http://www.abandonwarering.com/?Page=Listing
    Last edited by clicknick; 9th December 2005 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Castlesinthesky
    I was wondering if anyone else besides me has actually still retained fond memories from the late 80s and early 90s when the biggest games were those of the adventure-puzzle genre.When those select few companies such as lucasarts and the now defunct Sierra produced hits like Monkey's island, Day of the Tentacle, Leisure Suit Larry, King's Quest etc. Seriously games nowadays don't really wow me, it's just action action and more action. I'm actually having more fun replaying monkey island 2 and grim fandango

Now i'm just wondering if anyone still has these old games hidden somewhere in some musty old cupboard, i'm particularly looking for Quest for glory 5ragon Fire. Anyone remembers that game? I'm actually hoping someone might still have it
    I am STILL playing these!! Got Monkey Island 1 and 2, Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max installed on my Pocket PC. Absolutely loved it.

Played all the King's Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest and Leisure Suit Larry. Ahh... memories.

I think the very first game I played was King's quest I... "Pick up bucket". "Fill bucket with water". "Throw water at dragon."... heheh

Quote Originally Posted by tingchiyen
    I think the very first game I played was King's quest I... "Pick up bucket". "Fill bucket with water". "Throw water at dragon."... heheh
    yup.. learned how to touch type with those games. Don't type fast enough the dragon breathe fire on you and you chow tar

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    what about those games you play on a text terminal? Dungeon & Dragon, etc.

my favourite games on text terminal is NETHACK. Anyone try it?

I even like more than playing the graphical DIABLO :P

You can download quite a number of old DOS games for free from www.abandonia.com

My favourite game of the 80's: Sierra's Space/King Quest series
    My favourite game of the 90's: Heroes of Might & Magic series

Show's his age here (groan)

Elite - purchased that the week it was released on the PC platform. Still runs on XP
    Zork - yeeha!
    Rogue - I doubt if many will remember it, but it was just about the first D&D game.
    Commander Keen series.
    Wolfenstein 3D
    Rise of the Triads
    Silent Service 2
    Doom

Ahh memories!
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Wow! A great thread to rekindle old memories.

My opinion is that games in those days have more emphasis on story-telling and plots. Unlike today where the emplasis is on Graphics, Speed and Complexity. But am replaying Baldurs Gate now, one of the more recent games where I actually bothered to replay.

Very true; unfortunate, eh? Imagine combining the meticulous writers of old with the graphics people of now!

Sad lah, most of the games I like were from before my time; got em off abandonware sites, like someone mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Thai Bean
    Hi

May I know which emulator you are using and is it stable ... I have read about DOS-box, but have not tried it yet ... afraid that it may crash my whole system.

Anyway, my best memories was in the Bard's Tale and Ultima series (playable on that green screen ... hahaha ) I also remember Leisure Suite Larry (in 16 colors ... wooooo)

Does bring back some good memories ... compared to the current FPS games

RGDs

Hey i'm using Exult for ultima/ Scumm Vm for Lucasarts games and some workaround for Grim fandango. Works PERFECT. let me know if you need them

I never did use dos box, but it works fine for what i'm using

Glad to know there are so many people out there who love those games as much as i do. and yes one of my first few games was Zork! but i never got around to playing it to completion,how about Myst?phantasmagoria etc?

Yes i love gabriel knight too! anyone remember Legend of kyrandia as well?

wow. amazing.
    Last edited by Castlesinthesky; 9th December 2005 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmbo
    Like the Original ZORK game
    damn!..I almost forgot about this one!!!! heheh.. very very good game. Sam & Max was really funny...there was another one too which the title escapes me...That one with the tough chopper rider.. heh,,AH!!,,,FULL THROTTLE! heheh...

Another Lucasart would be the simcity like game about heaven and hell. That name also escape me at this time hehe....

Also just thot of another one. FALLOUT.
    Last edited by sammy888; 9th December 2005 at 06:19 PM.

Haha, Sam and Max hit the road. Classic!

Commander Keen series. Does Math Blaster count? And Apogee's Halloween Harry (Alien Carnage).

XCOM.

You can try www.the-underdogs.org

Did anyone play Novastorm? It was one of the bestest flying game I've ever played. It's basically those front scrollers (as opposed to side scrollers) with really cool graphics at that time and it was so bloody captivating.

And theres Raptor. Hahaha, uber fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    My best memories are from Gabriel Knight series and Leisure Suit Larry series.
    I think u can still buy them off the internet at abt $10 per game (original ones...)
    oh i remember gabriel knight....that was one scary game man

Wing Commander was my fav of all time!

just a shot in the dark - does anyone remember "Hard Hat Mack"? It was a REALLY old game on Apple II

commander keens, i remember that one. my sis favourite. Along the way, there were some great arcade games i played such as GODS, Out of this world, boudokan, ... and the very old one, Karateka.

For sierra there is this The adventure of pepper, eco quest, freddy parker.
    Back then, Microprose, westwood (dune, dune2) also not a bad company.
    Nikon D90 | 105 | 18-200VR | 12-24 | 17-55 | SB400 | SB600 | SB800 | Pana TZ7

Deregistered

I've got QFG 1-5...
    I've Monkey Island 2 too, Wing Commander, played halfway, sierra used to make good games tho'.

How about Wasteland? Anyone remember that one? That was a classic and I've been waiting 20 years for a sequel...

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    I've got QFG 1-5...
    I've Monkey Island 2 too, Wing Commander, played halfway, sierra used to make good games tho'.

Psst, can i have a copy for QFG5? Sell me your copy or something

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast