Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Really old games(of the adventure genre)

Default Really old games(of the adventure genre)

I was wondering if anyone else besides me has actually still retained fond memories from the late 80s and early 90s when the biggest games were those of the adventure-puzzle genre.When those select few companies such as lucasarts and the now defunct Sierra produced hits like Monkey's island, Day of the Tentacle, Leisure Suit Larry, King's Quest etc. Seriously games nowadays don't really wow me, it's just action action and more action. I'm actually having more fun replaying monkey island 2 and grim fandango

Now i'm just wondering if anyone still has these old games hidden somewhere in some musty old cupboard, i'm particularly looking for Quest for glory 5ragon Fire. Anyone remembers that game? I'm actually hoping someone might still have it

Default Re: Really old games(of the adventure genre)

i stil have the old nintendo and sega ... the former still playable though ... http://www.liderdigital.com/imagenes...3/nintendo.jpg http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...egadrive_1.jpg

I LOVE Monkey Island! The first one I played was the third one. Managed to get a copy of the second one as well. Excellent!

Monkey island 1 and 2 despite its 256 color screens still manages to captivate really. something that new games now just can't replicate.oh well..

no one has quest for glory?

what about those games you play on a text terminal? Dungeon & Dragon, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy

I guess i came from the 2nd age of gaming where the adventure puzzle genre was really in vogue then. I couldn't play the text based games somehow-just didn't have the proper imagination for it i guess.

Am still hunting for those little gems where they provide you with lots of laughs with really simple graphics.

Look! A three-headed monkey!

Quote Originally Posted by Castlesinthesky
    I was wondering if anyone else besides me has actually still retained fond memories from the late 80s and early 90s when the biggest games were those of the adventure-puzzle genre.When those select few companies such as lucasarts and the now defunct Sierra produced hits like Monkey's island, Day of the Tentacle, Leisure Suit Larry, King's Quest etc. Seriously games nowadays don't really wow me, it's just action action and more action. I'm actually having more fun replaying monkey island 2 and grim fandango

Now i'm just wondering if anyone still has these old games hidden somewhere in some musty old cupboard, i'm particularly looking for Quest for glory 5ragon Fire. Anyone remembers that game? I'm actually hoping someone might still have it

Leisure Suit Larry kicks a** heheh...always laugh my a** off each time I play it and replay it. Others I love is The entire series of Wing Commander & Privateer. I wish there was more like this now still. And for a time like Wing Commander, they were pioneer in using Hollywood actors to make all the cut scene. Maybe it is old school compare to 3D animation for even the cutscene in todays game. But there was something more dramatic to see cut scene using really people to act them out. I love Grim Fandago too man. There were a few more but I have to crack open my old cabinet and look for them hehe. I still have most of them that are working but most only play on my older win98 PC heeh...
    Last edited by sammy888; 9th December 2005 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    Look! A three-headed monkey!
    Guybrush uses it in every MI

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888
    Leisure Suit Larry kicks a** heheh...always laugh my a** off each time I play it and replay it. Others I love is The entire series of Wing Commander & Privateer. I wish there was more like this now still. And for a time like Wing Commander, they were pioneer in using Hollywood actors to make all the cut scene. Maybe it is old school compare to 3D animation for even the cutscene in todays game. But there was something more dramatic to see cut scene using really people to act them out. I love Grim Fandago too man. There were a few more but I have to crack open my old cabinet and look for them hehe. I still have most of them that are working but most only play on my older win98 PC heeh...

Glad to know there are other people out there who know the games i speak of...yes wing commander and privateer...even ultima 6 and 7! actually playing them right now.Anyone remember games like Dune II?One of the first RTS on the pc?heheh Dune I if i remember was a RPG of sorts.

Those games, Sammy,you can actually play them on xp machines. I'm running them on emulators-Grim fandango, MI2 that is...

really good to have people sharing such experiences with me...

i'm still hunting for Quest for glory 5, strangely i never got down to completing that....

anyone played Rama? based on the Arthur C. Clarke story? You have to use your brains to get through the game. and they use real actors too, and Clarke himself appears.

Guybrush uses it in every MI

Glad to know there are other people out there who know the games i speak of...yes wing commander and privateer...even ultima 6 and 7! actually playing them right now.Anyone remember games like Dune II?One of the first RTS on the pc?heheh Dune I if i remember was a RPG of sorts.

Those games, Sammy,you can actually play them on xp machines. I'm running them on emulators-Grim fandango, MI2 that is...

really good to have people sharing such experiences with me...

i'm still hunting for Quest for glory 5, strangely i never got down to completing that....

I have not replayed Grim Fandango in years.. I was referring more to Wing Commander I & II in particular which was pre-hollywood actor cutscene heh..they were just none moving head with moving lips taking hahaha....very nostagic in a way I guess heh...it does not work on XP. Oh I don't use emulator but I do have a "way" of looking old games where some hackers had made some changes to the game environment so it works in XP... but most of those games that were "fixed" I have not much interest in lah but I am still looking out for some of those classic that I would love to have again. heh.. QUest for glory was quite a good series. For me I basically have a more slant towards Sci-fi theme adventure games. I recall see Quest for Glory on some newsgroup but as I have no interest..I gave it a miss heh.

Actually come to think of it ..the first two Leisure Suit Larry game I had..it was played not on a PC but on Amiga Computers. And in those day advbenture game like Fairy Tale was all text base. hehe.. you have to type "go left" "go up" and then a scene is describe to you and you type more command. heheh. Those days like another forummer here mentioned, you really need to have good imagination. heh.
    Last edited by sammy888; 9th December 2005 at 01:49 AM.

anyone played Rama? based on the Arthur C. Clarke story? You have to use your brains to get through the game. and they use real actors too, and Clarke himself appears.
    Rama sound very familiar heh.....wait me go do a google and find out more....

hehe.. Sam & Max Hit The Road

i think back in the old days, only Sierra and Lucasart managed to develop decent adventure games. Other than those you guys mentioned, Indiana Jones, The Dig, Full Throttle are some big title i enjoyed too. Monkey Island is still my favourite as it is my first bought PC games. I love the sword play, "You fight like a cow"... hehe.

I'm guybrush threepwood, i want to be a pirate.
    Nikon D90 | 105 | 18-200VR | 12-24 | 17-55 | SB400 | SB600 | SB800 | Pana TZ7

Ooh. I remember one more, Sword of Shannara! And there's another, the name's just at the tip of my tongue... all the characters were animals and such.

How about the old Super Nintendo's Super Mario?

My best memories are from Gabriel Knight series and Leisure Suit Larry series.
    I think u can still buy them off the internet at abt $10 per game (original ones...)

Hi

May I know which emulator you are using and is it stable ... I have read about DOS-box, but have not tried it yet ... afraid that it may crash my whole system.

Anyway, my best memories was in the Bard's Tale and Ultima series (playable on that green screen ... hahaha ) I also remember Leisure Suite Larry (in 16 colors ... wooooo)

Does bring back some good memories ... compared to the current FPS games

RGDs

I have play DeathTrack , alley cat , mineshooter , ultima 2 (on my XT 8086 - 4 color video card / no hard disk) ... some partial character games like first police quest are fun during those days. Battle of Britain was the top game then.

wrote my first game in asm language on XT .... really things are simpler then !!
    Last edited by kitkat; 9th December 2005 at 10:46 AM.

Like the Original ZORK game
    Canon 5D mkii & 40D - 24-70 2.8 L - 50 1.8 II - 70-200 2.8 IS L - 580i & 580ii

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast