Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I miss Singlish

Default Re: I miss Singlish

Quote Originally Posted by blive
    Singlish is fine, if you know when to switch from proper english/mandarin to Singlish. So long as your message gets across to the listener, it's fine. The problem is when you can only speak in Singlish....
    Totally agree. I speak Singlish too, with pride I might add. But when communicating with foreigners, I will use proper English. But Singlish is something unique to Singapore, so cherish it.

You understand what I said hor?
    The Art of Flying - Aviation Art Prints for sale
    http://TheArtofFlying.wordpress.com/

other than singlish, when in overseas, nothing beats a packet of home made belacan, even tibetan food suddenly tastes singaporean ... serious!

Quote Originally Posted by digitalbuff
    I never thought much about the way Singaporeans (us) speak until i worked overseas. Here in Beijing, I have to think(construct) before saying anything and its quite unnatural.

Recently, I heard a guy speak at the airport here and i knew immediately he was Singaporean. I felt so happy at the familiarity of the "language". I also visited a singapore restaurant opened by singaporeans and the boss is always there. I was eating and I could hear him swear in Hokkien and also speak Singlish. So refreshing.

TO sum up, i really miss speaking like a singaporean, cos that's how we were brought up. Singlish sounds awful as a language but it is close to my heart now i know.
    I know how you feel.. not to long awhile, i took a short trip to Melbourne by myself and after 1 week +, i had this craving for duckrice so i went down to china town and while in there, a overheard "ang mo kio", "cash converter" and lo & behold, "wah lau!"

I grinned to myself really happily and i think i left the restaurent quite sated even though the duck rice tastes quite bad... hehe...
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

And yet I have foreign friends who wanna learn singlish and tried to speak like one when they come Singapore for visit. Those expats worse.. they are speaking just like a Singaporean. Very singlish! But I realised that they always like to speak the lah, leh, lor slightly louder in the sentence

i was in Las vegas once and knew exactly who are the singaporean.

try listening to Live!93.8FM internet radio ... especially during the live listeners call-in programs..

I was eating and I could hear him swear in Hokkien and also speak Singlish. So refreshing.
    For a small fee, I will be willing to curse and swear at you in Hokkien via Skype say once a month. Let me know if you're interested. For a bit more money, we can also have regular 5 minute conversations in Singlish if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by kahheng
    For a small fee, I will be willing to curse and swear at you in Hokkien via Skype say once a month. Let me know if you're interested. For a bit more money, we can also have regular 5 minute conversations in Singlish if you like.
    idea xia!

i would like to add .. for a small amount, i can record my voice into a ringtone for your phone!

i can also sing the national anthem for you, if you like

Quote Originally Posted by kahheng
    Perhaps with a bit more money would you also do dirty talks in Singlish with a woman's voice?

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    Perhaps with a bit more money would you also do dirty talks in Singlish with a woman's voice?
    That I don't do

Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    other than singlish, when in overseas, nothing beats a packet of home made belacan, even tibetan food suddenly tastes singaporean ... serious!
    I miss belachan and yakun coffee (not the mention the new Toastbox at Wisma....yummy) and eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by precious.jas
    And yet I have foreign friends who wanna learn singlish and tried to speak like one when they come Singapore for visit. Those expats worse.. they are speaking just like a Singaporean. Very singlish! But I realised that they always like to speak the lah, leh, lor slightly louder in the sentence
    Well jas, foreigners trying to singlish is like singaporeans tryin to slang - damn fake la

Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox
    for a small amount, i can record my voice into a ringtone for your phone!

i can also sing the national anthem for you, if you like
    I haven't realized that Singlish could have such powerful pull to an overseas Singaporean.

I wonder if we mass produce a tape of Singlish daily conversations whether there could be enough market to make some profits from it?

Of course the voices of Kahheng and Stereobox will be in it.

Anyone who wants to be featured in the tape please pm me. I can't pay you but I can give you 5 minutes of audio fame.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    I haven't realized that Singlish could have such powerful pull to an overseas Singaporean.

I wonder if we mass produce a tape of Singlish daily conversations whether there could be enough market to make some profits from it?

Of course the voices of Kahheng and Stereobox will be in it.

Anyone who wants to be featured in the tape please pm me. I can't pay you but I can give you 5 minutes of audio fame.
    Can i pre-order?

Please incl dialogue with:
    1) Nebermind
    2) Ask me for what
    3) donoe
    4) how i know?

Can i pre-order?

Please incl dialogue with:
    1) Nebermind
    2) Ask me for what
    3) donoe
    4) how i know?
    Thanks for your suggestions.

I'll send you a free copy if you can persuade your friends to buy 10. Hor Boh Hor?

Quote Originally Posted by Carllim
    I rather use colourful Singlish than a fake accent like some bananas.
    I would rather use proper English than resort to poor grammar, spelling and a fake accent.

Yup agree, most folks can understand us just fine with our accent, so there's really no need to fake an accent. But it's really great to hear a Singaporean or Malaysian overseas, makes you feel that the world isn't so small after all!

Quote Originally Posted by melnjes
    Yup agree, most folks can understand us just fine with our accent, so there's really no need to fake an accent. But it's really great to hear a Singaporean or Malaysian overseas, makes you feel that the world isn't so small after all!

Ya, I had just posted to xiamen, china ........
    been missing home .......

singapore .... really unique ... the food , the style, the language ........
    this is something i grow up from .......

Miss home much

Quote Originally Posted by informer
    I would rather use proper English than resort to poor grammar, spelling and a fake accent.
    If you're talking abt Singlish, might I remind you that Singlish has a very distinct grammar... that of Mandarin. Don't believe? Convert each Singlish phrase to Mandarin word for word.

Phrases like.... "You see what?", "You wanna eat what?", "See what see?", "Don't believe? I jump for you to see", "Like or not?","Let's go see show", etc, etc.

Singlish came abt thanks to our forefathers' attempt at speaking English... in their heads is Mandarin/Hokkien/Cantonese and out comes their version of English... Singlish. Word for word.
    The Art of Flying - Aviation Art Prints for sale
    http://TheArtofFlying.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by philliptan
    If you're talking abt Singlish, might I remind you that Singlish has a very distinct grammar... that of Mandarin. Don't believe? Convert each Singlish phrase to Mandarin word for word.

Phrases like.... "You see what?", "You wanna eat what?", "See what see?", "Don't believe? I jump for you to see", "Like or not?","Let's go see show", etc, etc.

Singlish came abt thanks to our forefathers' attempt at speaking English... in their heads is Mandarin/Hokkien/Cantonese and out comes their version of English... Singlish. Word for word.
    Haha, regarding this, I remembered quite clearly in 1997, my English tution teacher have given some Singlish phrases, and convert them to proper commonwealth English. In the end a friend next to me wrote down the Chinese variants. Haha, that was for great laughter then.

Anyway, you can actually misses Singlish even locally. I was in a presentation when I was put in a room where I was the only Singaporean, and they are not exactly quiet.

Anyway, does it occur to anyone that if any Chinese dialect element is involved, its mostly hokkien? I grew up in a Teochew family, and Teochew is the only dialect I speak with near-native fluency. At times when I converse with Chinese classmates, I can't help but detest the hokkien words. I just loved the way Teochew words are pronounced, and I have been speaking the language at home ever since my memory serves me.

My Chinese is weak though.
    Last edited by Slivester; 12th December 2005 at 10:06 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast