Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Help with RAW

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastern Singapore
    Posts
    694

    Default Help with RAW

    Hi everyone.

    Just a quickie from me. What should the file extension for a pic taken in RAW mode on a 20D be? And what software can be used to edit it?

    Thanks!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help with RAW

    .CRW

    Raw Shooter Essentials/Photoshop CS or CSII or Phase C1 PRO or the original Canon software.


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastern Singapore
    Posts
    694

    Default Re: Help with RAW

    Quote Originally Posted by enghong17
    .CRW

    Raw Shooter Essentials/Photoshop CS or CSII or Phase C1 PRO or the original Canon software.

    Er... Ok. If it's supposed to be .CRW, why is mine shooting in .CR2? Also, my Photoshop CS doesn't seem to support the .CR2 file format.

    Checking with Adobe's website, only CS2 supports the plug-in for the 20D. Is this true?

    Thanks for the help so far anyway...

  4. #4

    Default Re: Help with RAW

    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyftk
    Er... Ok. If it's supposed to be .CRW, why is mine shooting in .CR2? Also, my Photoshop CS doesn't seem to support the .CR2 file format.

    Checking with Adobe's website, only CS2 supports the plug-in for the 20D. Is this true?

    Thanks for the help so far anyway...
    nope CS Adobe Camera RAW supports 20D CR2 format.

    IIRC ACR 2.3 onwards supported 20D. Download (assuming you're using Windows)http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...atform=Windows

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastern Singapore
    Posts
    694

    Default Re: Help with RAW

    Quote Originally Posted by knoxknocks
    nope CS Adobe Camera RAW supports 20D CR2 format.

    IIRC ACR 2.3 onwards supported 20D. Download (assuming you're using Windows)http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...atform=Windows
    Works now. A big thank you knoxknocks!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Help with RAW

    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyftk
    Er... Ok. If it's supposed to be .CRW, why is mine shooting in .CR2? Also, my Photoshop CS doesn't seem to support the .CR2 file format.

    Checking with Adobe's website, only CS2 supports the plug-in for the 20D. Is this true?

    Thanks for the help so far anyway...

    Ha Oops......thot the same as my 300D. There's updates on the Adobe page for newer cameras.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bt. Timah
    Posts
    1,354

    Default Re: Help with RAW

    Support for the RAW formats of newer cameras via Adobe Camera Raw is available only in Photoshop CS 2. Even if you install the newer version of ACR in CS, it won't work. Tried it myself for my 350D. Luckily for you the 20D's RAW format is probably included in the last ACR update available for CS, which is Ver 2.4.

    If not you can either:
    1) Upgrade to CS2 (Not worth it if you just want RAW support for your cam)
    2) Use 3rd party plug-ins (Conversion to jpg may not be as gd as ACR )
    3) Convert to a file format supported by CS and edit from there.

    Also, RAW file extension for both 350D and 20D are the same: .CR2, but they're not the same files from what I heard.
    Last edited by solarii; 8th December 2005 at 09:05 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,667

    Default Re: Help with RAW

    Just covert in DPP..
    eat. drink. shoot

  9. #9

    Default Re: Help with RAW

    Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    Support for the RAW formats of newer cameras via Adobe Camera Raw is available only in Photoshop CS 2. Even if you install the newer version of ACR in CS, it won't work. Tried it myself for my 350D. Luckily for you the 20D's RAW format is probably included in the last ACR update available for CS, which is Ver 2.4.

    If not you can either:
    1) Upgrade to CS2 (Not worth it if you just want RAW support for your cam)
    2) Use 3rd party plug-ins (Conversion to jpg may not be as gd as ACR )
    3) Convert to a file format supported by CS and edit from there.

    Also, RAW file extension for both 350D and 20D are the same: .CR2, but they're not the same files from what I heard.
    yup, you're rite. All new generations of RAW from canon (20D, 350D, 1DMarkII, 1DsMarkII, 5D) all sport the .CR2 extensions but they're not really exactly the same. 20D/1D2/1Ds2 were slightly "older" - that's why they're still supported with ACR 2.2 to 2.4.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •